Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MelanieRay Posts: 70, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2013, 07:04 AM
    Trying to lose 8ish lbs. Any advice to make this easier for her?
    Its been about a year since my last post about Luna. We recently went to the vet for a check up and her vaccines. Good news was that her ears, eyes, teeth, temperature, and fur, along with her heartbeat and whatever the tummy poking check is were all fine but she's a bit over weight. The advice I was given was to feed her according to the instructions on the dog food (the weight she should be and not what she is) and play ball and more walks (LuckyLuna!).
    My poor girl falls asleep with her nose in an empty food bowl. Is there any way to make this easier for her? The vet didn't tell me to bring her back when she has lost the weight. He only said call and come back if she's not herself within 24hrs after the shots and hed see us next year. Maybe we have a whole year to accomplish this task and if I/we follow the recommendations the weight will just come off even if it takes the whole year and my only problem will be the "starving" dog. Any advice?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 18, 2013, 08:54 AM
    It's c alled tough love mom. We have all gone through this. She won't starve and you will feel good because you have extended her life with you. Best advice is follow vet's advice.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Jul 18, 2013, 09:30 AM
    Yep, tough love. You could try canned green beans or string beans, whatever you choose to call them. They are loaded with fiber and will help her to fill fuller, make for more regular bowel movements and they are really low in calories. Make sure to buy the "no salt added" beans you don't want her to have added sodium.
    What food are you feeding her now?
    MelanieRay Posts: 70, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2013, 10:00 AM
    Merrick is the brand. Im not sure of the flavor but the bag was yellowish (I put it in a bin so the bugs don't eat it). She gets 2 1/2 cups a day now. I used to fill the bowl. She doesn't look fat to me but I'm not an expert. I think the 8lb goal was a guess and there is a "look" that the vet is going for. I wish I knew what that look was. Thanks for the green bean idea, something like that never crossed my mind and was exactly the kind of help I was hoping for.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 18, 2013, 10:14 AM
    Yes, veggies are a great idea. My dog loves the small carrots, raw and cold.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2013, 06:38 PM
    A good way to tell if your dog is in good health would be if you can feel the ribs, but not see them, and if you can feel the top of the spine in the lumbar area, but not see it.

Green beans are a wonderful tool to use when you are dieting a dog. It's a big filler with very low calories. Carrots are OK, but don't use too many of them. Carrots are sweet and have high calories than green beans. Try to just stick to the green beans.

All my dogs are in the 50-70lb range and only eat two cups a day. I use to feed them 3 cups a day and they got incredibly overweight. I increased their exercise, gave them some bones to chew on and just let them figure it out. Diets are NEVER easy.. for us or for them. So just look the other way when your puppy is giving you the guilt trip. You can still give treats, but instead of 2-3 treats a day, just give 1 but break it up into small pieces.

The first few weeks is always the hardest.. but she'll adjust. Ignore her begging and just remember that fat dogs have a lot of health issues.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2013, 09:31 AM
    My dog eats doggie weight control dog food.

No treats except one last thing at night and another first thing in the AM.

I am only doing this because her weight is putting pressure on her hips. The Vet who told me she needs to lose weight is the approximate size of a moose, by the way. He should follow his own advice.

But, yes, she's on a diet and so far, so good - it's a lifestyle change, and she's getting used to it. My second dog is 18 months old, on "growing dogfood" so it's a challenge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I lose 40 lbs in 2 months [ 4 Answers ]

How can I loss 40 lbs in 1 or 2 months. My weight is 184 lbs and my age is 28 years old. Please tell me, is it possible? Can I lose my weight

How would I lose 80-90 lbs. [ 3 Answers ]

I'm still in school and my low self confidence and my weight issues have been interfering with my classes. All I think about during classes is how fat I am or how the thinner girls must be laughing at me. I'm turning 13, I'm 5'3" last time I checked and weigh about 195 lbs.. I'm really embarrassed...

How can I lose 63 lbs by April [ 7 Answers ]

Hi my name is Haydon I am 175 lbs and 5'8'. I want to have a weight of 112 lbs because I am mortly obese. I have tried exercising, dieting and starving non worked. Please can I have some help Haydon

I need to lose 150 lbs [ 3 Answers ]

I Have Let Myself Go And I Now Weigh 300 .im 5 Ft 7 In Tall. Im Not Ugly And I Know If I Lost This Weight I Would Look And Feel So Much Better, I Look At Myself And I Get So Depressed . Where Do I Start? What Do I Do? I Have High Blood Pressure So I Can't Take Diet Pills. Please Help Me :(

I need to lose 50 lbs as fast as possible [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. I am about 50 lbs overweight, not obese but just overweight. It is so hard for me to lose weight, I have tried diets and everything. I was in an accident about a year and a half ago, I lost over 30 lbs after that but then gained back more than I lost. I broke my legs so I cannot exercise like...

View more questions Search