Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Peninalovesamoa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2013, 01:44 AM
    For heating copper oxide in sulfuric acid what is the chemical equation??
    We did two experiments with the same piece of copper. First we heated it to get copper oxide. Then we heated it in dilute sulfuric acid. My teacher says the chemical equation was Cu + H2SO4 - - - CuSO4 + H2 but I looked it up on the internet and it had CuO + H2SO4 - - - CuSO4 + H2O... Which one is right?
    neodarwinian Posts: 74, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2013, 01:32 PM
    Cu + H2SO4 - - - CuSO4 + H2
    ---------------------------------------------------Ask you teacher where the oxygen went.

I assume you began this experiment by heating pure copper in a crucible to get copper oxide. Then..

CuO + H2SO4 --> CuSO4 + H2O
    ---------------------------------------------------I do not see how anything but this equation could be right if CuO was added to dilute sulfuric acid, though I seem to remember that copper itself does not react well with dilute sulfuric acid.

So, I think you are correct here and teachers do make mistakes.
    Teju220 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2013, 06:08 AM
    [QUOTE=neodarwinian;3509998]Cu + H2SO4 - - - CuSO4 + H2
    ---------------------------------------------------Ask you teacher where the oxygen went.

I assume you began this experiment by heating pure copper in a crucible to get copper oxide. Then..

---------------------------------------------------I do not see how anything but this equation could be right if CuO was added to dilute sulfuric acid, though I seem to remember that copper itself does not react well with dilute sulfuric acid.

So, I think you are correct here and teachers do make mistakes
    I think it makes water not hydrogen
    Teju220 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2013, 06:09 AM
    [QUOTE=Teju220;3512202]
    Quote Originally Posted by neodarwinian View Post
    Cu + H2SO4 - - - CuSO4 + H2

I assume you began this experiment by heating pure copper in a crucible to get copper oxide. Then....,

So, I think you arent correct here and teachers do make mistakes
    I think it makes water not hydrogen

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

reaction equation of sulfuric acid plus oxalic acid with sodiumhydroxide [ 0 Answers ]

a balnced reaction equation of sulfuric acid plus oxalic acid with sodiumhydrixde

Sulfuric Acid Storage Tanks [ 2 Answers ]

Gents, We have in our warehouse a storage tank normally dedicated for K-OH, can I use it as a sulfuric acid (95% concentrated) storage tank knowing that the tank is internally coated with Resin Vinylester and having vent line meaning that the tank is not fully isolated from air contact. ...

Write a balanced chemical equation for: potassium oxide+ water= potassium hydroxide [ 1 Answers ]

write a balanced chemical equation for: potassium oxide+ water= potassium hydroxide

Copper (II) Oxide + Sulfuric Acid [ 7 Answers ]

When you are combining Copper (II) Oxide with Sulfuric Acid, would you need to keep the '2' in Cu when working with Cu2O + H2SO4? I don't really know how else to word my question.

View more questions Search