Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suziq11 Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2013, 02:40 PM
    My water heater draining job worries
    In trying to drain my water heater, I was unable to get any water to drain out. So, I did what I could to chip away at what ever the clog was, to no avail. I then had to remove the spigot itself to be able to get easier access to the clog. Spigot was fine. Then, I ended up chipping away at the drainway itself, because there was no exit path there for water to drain out. Ok, by now, I'm getting upset with a project that should have been so easy! Whatever it was inside was like "dried Adhesive Caulk"... I ended up pulling it out! Once I got it out, I found that it was some sort of "Insert" belonging to that drain, but it had (on the outer end), melted so badly that it had formed a clogged mess. I'm now worrying that I may need that part? Which I did not put back, due to advice (that it would be fine) without. Is it fine without that piece in it? Is it dangerous? Did it possibly do something like a radiator cap does for a radiator, like control the heat pressure? Do you know what the name of the part is, and it's function? I am really lame at this stuff, so I would really appreciate your advice. Thanks suzi

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water heater draining cold water? [ 4 Answers ]

I have tried to drain my HWH. I cut off the breaker, connected hose to the drain, and cut off supply. I opened a hot water faucet and then tried to drain the tank. Nothing. OK maybe sediment blockage. I then turned on the cold water supply to HWH and the drain hose is draining cold water while the...

No water pressure inentire house after draining the Hot Water Heater. [ 12 Answers ]

I drained my hot water heater today on recommendation from our home inspector. (Just moved in). I followed instruction given here and drained it. Afterwards, everything seemed fine. The hot water pressure in the kitchen was pretty low, so I turned the valve under the sink to see if was not open...

Draining a hot water heater [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for a step by step on how to drain a hot water heater as part of maintenance routine. TKS

Draining a hot water heater [ 3 Answers ]

I have a gas rheem hot water heater, that I don't know how old it is. It was in the house when I bought it 6 years ago. It looks OK and is in my storage shed. I was thinking about draining it (it does make some noise when it is heating) I am afraid I am opening a can of worms. I am not a plumber,...

Draining a hot water heater? [ 4 Answers ]

Is there any merit to draining/flushing a hot water heater at certain intervals to purge it of solids such as minerals to extend its life or otherwise cut down on the amount of corrosion?

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.