Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    falamtauko Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2013, 07:18 AM
    DV lottery winner, Permanent resident, Hospital Bill
    One of my friend is here in the usa after receiving diversity visa lottery. She got sick, and is in the hospital. Hospitals financial counselor is telling us that if there is no deposit made she has to tell the embassy. And once she goes out of the country she can't come back in? Is this true? She came here after wining DV lottery

That's right she does not have a medical insurance... she just got here a week ago and has kidney infection.
    We tried to ask for a financial plan, to be paid monthly but the counselor is not co operating, for the time being.

Her husband was the one who got the lottery, and she came in with him. Now, Can the husband also be charged?

Can she get a citizenship after 5 years?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2013, 07:35 AM
    If they were to skip out on paying a bill that could be considered financial fraud... and that is one of the reasons a Visa can be canceled.

I'm assuming she didn't buy or have medical insurance.

Jul 17, 2013, 07:39 AM
    That's right she does not have a medical insurance... she just got here a week ago and has kidney infection.
    We tried to ask for a financial plan, to be paid monthly but the counselor is not co operating, for the time being.

Jul 17, 2013, 07:40 AM
    Her husband was the one who got the lottery, and she came in with him. Now, Can the husband also be charged?
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2013, 07:50 AM
    Unfortunately... they are both adults... so she would be held individually responsible for that bill. Not the husband. Unless he signed any of the admittance forms including the ones about payment.

They can demand payment in full, its on those forms... I've signed enough of them... how much of an intital payment were they requiring? They get to set the terms (within legal guidelines as far as interest etc).

Jul 17, 2013, 07:52 AM
    5000 deposit for the time being, and it keeps on increasing day after day
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2013, 07:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by falamtauko View Post
    5000 deposit for the time being, and it keeps on increasing day after day
    It would be in their best interest to borrow that money off someone, and establish that plan to pay the rest the hospital is willing to allow... if they have anyone that could loan it to them. Friends or family... thats the easiest way out of this.

I'm assuming she is not still in the hospital racking up new bills. If she were that would account for their changing deposit numbers.

Jul 17, 2013, 08:34 AM
    She is still in the hospital... she might be there for 5 more days... and according to the condition she might have to do surgery as well.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2013, 09:08 AM
    Ow... she has my sympathy. That's going to be incredibly expensive.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 17, 2013, 09:21 AM
    That is correct, once she leaves the country, she will not be allowed back in. How long had she been over here before the kidney infection? That doesn't happen over night, she must have come with it.
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Jul 17, 2013, 12:21 PM
    Can't she get emergency Medicaid?

If all else fails, if she can't pay, then she just can't pay. She can consult a bankruptcy lawyer to see if bankruptcy is right for her.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2013, 12:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by newacct View Post
    Can't she get emergency Medicaid?

If all else fails, if she can't pay, then she just can't pay. She can consult a bankruptcy lawyer to see if bankruptcy is right for her.
    She's not a citizen... any of those reasons ARE all valid reasons to cancel any immigrations process.

Jul 17, 2013, 12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    She's not a citizen.....any of those reasons ARE all valid reasons to cancel any immigrations process.
    This is not true. Why don't you point out any place that says so?
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2013, 12:33 PM
    This is not true. Why don't you point out any place that says so?
    Go to the INS website.. there is a long list of things that are clearly spelled out.

Recent immigrants aren't elligible for welfare either... there are a lot of things a citizen might get away with that someone here on any type of visa or green card aren't.

http://www.us-immigrationvisa.com/topics/deportation

There is

"The Person Becomes a Public Charge" not far down the page.

And defaulting on a bill as large as this will be could be prosecuted as a Felony.

As a citizen... they could get away with it... but a recent immigrant can't become a financial drain on the USA.

Skipping out on the bill (regardless of ability to pay) under those circumstances is becoming a charge to the pulic because the taxpayer gets socked with that bill. While they try and collect.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 17, 2013, 01:08 PM
    ... She can consult a bankruptcy lawyer to see if bankruptcy is right for her.
    Huh? How would filing for bankruptcy protection affect her immigration status?

Jul 17, 2013, 05:45 PM
    She has been here for a week.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2013, 06:28 PM
    Bankruptcy isn't an option for her... I don't think they are qualified.. don't know when they would be.. but certainly not at a week after they get here... and even if they were.. it would affect the VISA status.. especially during the first five years.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2013, 06:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Huh? How would filing for bankruptcy protection affect her immigration status?
    It would almost certainly be grounds for revocation the first 5 years per the link I posted earlier.

They are required to be completely self supporting OR have someone accepting full legal financial responsibility for them.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2013, 06:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by falamtauko View Post
    she has been here for a week.
    There are certain ethnic groups that tend to group together to help each other out in times like this (two examples I know, Koreans and Bolivians).not knowing which group they are part of... is that an option for them.

Jul 17, 2013, 06:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Go to the INS website..there is a long list of things that are clearly spelled out.

Recent immigrants aren't elligible for welfare either...there are a lot of things a citizen might get away with that someone here on any type of visa or green card aren't.

Deportation

there is

"The Person Becomes a Public Charge" not far down the page.

And defaulting on a bill as large as this will be could be prosecuted as a Felony.

As a citizen...they could get away with it...but a recent immigrant can't become a financial drain on the USA.

Skipping out on the bill (regardless of ability to pay) under those circumstances is becoming a charge to the pulic because the taxpayer gets socked with that bill. while they try and collect.
    First of all, that is not an official website. And the things listed do not really apply to permanent residents, which is what the OP said his wife is.

Second, Medicaid is not Public Charge.

So basically, what you said is completely useless.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lottery winner! [ 12 Answers ]

Can you believe it? This guy wins $181 million in the lottery on a Wednesday, and then finds the love of his life just 2 days later. Talk about LUCK!!!! .

Lottery winner [ 5 Answers ]

Bloke says to his wife "Darling, what would you do if I said I've won the lottery?" Wife replies: I'd take half then leave you." Guy says: "Excellent! I had three numbers and won ten dollars. Here's a fiver- now f**k off!

Lottery winner [ 3 Answers ]

I've noticed an Ohio store clerk lottery winner of a million dollars, decided to take $50,000 annually for a number of years. After IRS taxes it would be only $34,000 annually. That a 68% tax bite. So I guess IRS has a certain tax rate for gambling proceeds. Too bad You could not include it as...

View more questions Search