Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2013, 06:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by newacct View Post
    First of all, that is not an official website. And the things listed do not really apply to permanent residents, which is what the OP said his wife is.

Second, Medicaid is not Public Charge.

So basically, what you said is completely useless.
    And your expertise on this subject is what exactly if you are going to be throwing around the claims that I don't know what I'm talking about?

Because I'm calling you out on this. I've actually got experience in this area.
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Jul 17, 2013, 06:48 PM
    You have not shown anything that says why the OP's wife, a permanent resident, can be deported.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2013, 06:51 PM
    You have not shown anything that says why the OP's wife, a permanent resident, can be deported.
    You haven't presented a SINGLE thing that disproved anything I said. Except your claims.. again I ask.. what is your expertise and experience on this topic. And where are your links to prove what I said was wrong.
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Jul 17, 2013, 06:57 PM
    If you know so much why don't you cite the laws to support it? You were the one who made the claims that she is deportable. The burden of proof is on you.

Here is an actual official web site:
    USCIS - Public Charge

Q. What publicly funded benefits may not be considered for public charge purposes?
    * Medicaid
    In addition, that website you yourself cited has got it backwards. The actual law says:
    Any alien who, within five years after the date of entry; has become a public charge from causes not affirmatively shown to have arisen since entry is deportable.
    The OP's wife's issue definitely arose after entry. So even if what she becomes a Public Charge (which she is not), she would still not be deportable.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2013, 07:09 PM
    If you know so much why don't you cite the laws to support it? You were the one who made the claims that she is deportable. The burden of proof is on you.

Here is an actual official web site:
    USCIS - Public Charge

In addition, that website you yourself cited has got it backwards. The actual law says:

The OP's wife's issue definitely arose after entry. So even if what she becomes a Public Charge (which she is not), she would still not be deportable.
    Just because you can use Google doesn't mean you have the answers.

YOU made the claim I didn't know anything was wrong... and my posts were BS.

And you did it in a very disrespectful way

Yet you refuse to back up your claims or respond with exactly what your expertise and experience is on this topic. After have been asked several times now.

NO immigrant can walk into this country and collect what amounts to a public assistance program a week after they get here... they have to be permanent resident for at least 5 years and are responsible for ALL of their debts or have a sponsor that will be... Doing such is one of the many things that will disqualify someone with a VISA or Green Card.

I have great empathy for the OP... and doing the wrong things will have serious ramifications for them. And I have actual personal experience dealing with the INS.
    falamtauko Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2013, 07:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    There are certain ethnic groups that tend to group together to help each other out in times like this (two examples I know, Koreans and Bolivians).not knowing which group they are part of...is that an option for them.
    She is from a very poor nation called Nepal
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2013, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by falamtauko View Post
    She is from a very poor nation called Nepal
    I actually know a family from Nepal... very nice people.

Are they members of a church or whatever their specific religion would have? Looking for a group that might be able to offer them some assistance or at least enough to give them breathing room. I might recommend calling some of the charities local to you.. many of them while religious based are transparent to the actual religion of the people they help.
    falamtauko Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2013, 07:35 AM
    We are looking into it right now... and the hospital bill keeps on adding up... hopefully we get some sort of path with which we can do a small monthly payment and keep their status.
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2013, 07:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by falamtauko View Post
    We are looking into it right now... and the hospital bill keeps on adding up... hopefully we get some sort of path with which we can do a small monthly payment and keep their status.
    Definitely keep working with the hospital... it really is in their best interest to come to an agreement on payments.(the hospitals).. But they will tend to lean on you a little hard because they deal with people who do have the means but won't pay all the time.

Hopefully you will find enough help to give them the breathing room they need right now... I know it's a difficult and stressful position to be in. And being recent arrivals not knowig many if any people makes it even harder. They have my best wishes.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 18, 2013, 08:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    If they were to skip out on paying a bill that could be considered financial fraud...and that is one of the reasons a Visa can be canceled.

I'm assuming she didn't buy or have medical insurance.
    That is one reason, but it is common procedure for non-entry back into the US if you leave before visa is up.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jul 18, 2013, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    That is correct, once she leaves the country, she will not be allowed back in. How long had she been over here before the kidney infection? That doesn't happen over night, she must have come with it.
    Yeah, if the infection is that severe that it requires hospitalization, it had to be there before she came here just a week ago. I understand the issue with the finances but what type of hospital is she in the will not treat her without some deposit? I went into the hospital 3 years ago and was diagnosed with Leukemia and was treated for a week THEN transferred to another hospital for further treatment WITHOUT any insurance. Something is wrong. Contact the nearest embassy for her country.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lottery winner! [ 12 Answers ]

Can you believe it? This guy wins $181 million in the lottery on a Wednesday, and then finds the love of his life just 2 days later. Talk about LUCK!!!! .

Lottery winner [ 5 Answers ]

Bloke says to his wife "Darling, what would you do if I said I've won the lottery?" Wife replies: I'd take half then leave you." Guy says: "Excellent! I had three numbers and won ten dollars. Here's a fiver- now f**k off!

Lottery winner [ 3 Answers ]

I've noticed an Ohio store clerk lottery winner of a million dollars, decided to take $50,000 annually for a number of years. After IRS taxes it would be only $34,000 annually. That a 68% tax bite. So I guess IRS has a certain tax rate for gambling proceeds. Too bad You could not include it as...

View more questions Search