Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    debb105 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2013, 10:59 PM
    Severe unproductive coughing
    I have three in my household that currently have bad coughs (ages 3, 16, & 20). There is no fever or congestion or runny noses or sneezing. Just a hacking cough that sounds like they will vomit, but they don't. What could this be?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 17, 2013, 04:02 AM
    We can't say online of course, but I and others I know are familiar with a cough of this sort, and it really was just a cold virus with a variation. In my case there was a very glue-like post nasal drip with no runny nose, and that was making me cough. You have to drink a TON of fluids, gargle once an hour with salt water, and suck on menthol cough drops.
    But if any of the mucous has gone down into the bronchials, you may still have a cough. If it lasts more than 3 weeks, it's turned bacterial (vs viral) and you need antibiotics. But it's fruitless to try to treat a virus with antibiotics.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2013, 07:01 AM
    Try eliminating sugars/sweets, artificial sweeteners and dairy.
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Jul 17, 2013, 07:40 AM
    Are they vaccinated against whooping cough?

I had it several years ago and it's a cough with no runny nose/fever/mucus.
    It didn't ave the whooping sound in the beginning but it's definitely very strong and might cause you to vomit.
    Went to a regular doctor who didn't realize what it was and who tried to treat it with cough drops for a week then with steroids and then it was too late to be actually treated for what it was (whooping cough is a bacterial infection that can be treated with antibiotics in the first 2/3 weeks). It then turned very bad and I couldn't breath properly for several weeks and it took several months to heal.

If your children suffer from this cough for a week or more, definitely go see a doctor.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2013, 07:42 AM
    They have been finding that nost outbreaks of whooping cough the people Were vaccinated for it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Coughing? [ 1 Answers ]

Ive been prescribed Adderall for about 4 months now and I can't stop coughing. I assume its from the medication because I have never coughed like this before. Its not like I cough anything up, its more of a croupey cough. I guess I am just wondering if this is a common side effect and if it is how...

My dog is coughing and gagging,wheezing and coughing up blood sometimes [ 7 Answers ]

The vet isn't sure what it is. Not grass or obstruction. Until yesterday she was eating, now she isn't interested. Any suggestions as to what this can be? She is on antibiotics.

5 yr old coughing [ 5 Answers ]

My 5 Year Old Son Cannot Stop Coughing. The Doctor Gave Prescribed Him Amoxcilion.But It Doesn't Seem To Be Helping What Can I Do To Help Him Out. He is Coughing Way Too Much.

Severe Depression or something more severe? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am very confused right now. I had been in a relationship for about one year. In the beginning this person was completely candid with me and told me they suffered from MS, OCD and two years previously had suffered from a about of clinical depression, whereby they tried to kill themselves...

Severe Depression or something more severe? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am very confused right now. I had been in a relationship for about one year. In the beginning this person was completely candid with me and told me they suffered from MS, OCD and two years previously had suffered from a about of clinical depression, whereby they tried to kill themselves...

View more questions Search