Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emmalou1983 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2013, 12:48 PM
    Leaking lightbulb
    Hi I just showered my daughter we lnt downstairs and noticed a puddle of water under my my light in the kitchen I could see from the bulb that it had come through the light fitting as there was droplets of water, is this safe I'm super paranoid about fire as it is I live on my own with two small children as my husband works away do I just leave it to let it dry out or should I call someone. Thank you
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2013, 12:51 PM
    You need to call someone because if the leak is allowed to continue... rotting of the support beam... and the walls... but dangerous Black Mold are not the only danger besides fire.

Because if it leaked today during a normal shower.. its going to leak every time someone takes a shower.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2013, 12:52 PM
    Do not use the shower until someone can find the source of the leak. Water and electricity don't go together.
    emmalou1983 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2013, 12:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Do not use the shower until someone can find the source of the leak. Water and electricity don't go together.
    Ok thank you should I call someone tonight or leave it till morning? I know it only leaks when the shower curtain isn't around anf I pulled it away while I did my daughter? Should I be turning things off?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2013, 01:09 PM
    Yes you need to use the shower curtain. Put knobs to bath when not in use and chaulk everywhere the water could leak. Get a lamp for the room until it can be fixed.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 16, 2013, 02:23 PM
    Hi Emmalou

I would start by letting things dry out overnight.

Tomorrow, take a few minutes and investigate this on your own.

Start by simply using the tub faucet, if present (do NOT use the shower yet). Run and drain the tub and see if the leak shows up again at the light/ceiling (if no tub, ignore this section).

If that fails to show you a leak, you can look for an access panel at the wall behind the tub/shower valve... see if there is one and if so, open it and look inside with a flashlight... look around while water is running (again, ignore if shower only).

If that fails to show the leaker, run the shower and see if the leaker shows up downstairs again (give it time). If no leaker shows up then the issue could simply be that the curtain wasn't pulled over and it would be a shame to call the plumber in to tell you that, right?

If it is the curtain you'll want to caulk the floor where the tub meets the floor and be more careful with the shower curtain in the future.

Finally, I would shut off the breaker or pull the fuse for the kitchen area (hopefully marked at the electrical panel), remove the wetted bulb and let everything dry up for awhile.

Start there and let us know your thoughts, OK?

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lightbulb not turning on [ 3 Answers ]

A lightbulb blew in my utility room at home and the circuit braker switch flicked on the fuse box. I removed the bulb, flicked the switch back, replaced light bulb with new, turned on light switch, but light is not lighting up. There is another light outside the room which is linked to the same...

Different lightbulb types [ 1 Answers ]

I have fixtures for track lighting that specify use of R30 or PAR30 bulbs. In similar fixtures (specifying R30) I have, in the past, used the new breed of spiral "flourescent" energy saver bulbs. Will these be acceptable in the track lights? Could I use normal household bulbs ("A19" type)? What is...

A15C lightbulb [ 2 Answers ]

We bought a new ceiling fan with a light fixture that requires a candelabra base light bulb with the A15C recommended. Cannot find them anywhere. Any suggestions?

E 17 lightbulb? [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a ceiling fan that requires a type "E 17" lightbulb. HOWEVER, I cannot find this type of bulb. Home Depot says there is an adapter that allows a standard ceiling fan light bulb to connect. HELP!

View more questions Search