Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tatumjo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2013, 05:16 AM
    How to get a 10 month old puppy to stop pooping in his cage
    Hi my 10 month husky won't stop pooping or peeing in his crate.
    We had him in our room in his "metal" crate same one until he was about 7 months then we moved him into another room downstairs and we then bought him a bigger crate thinking he would have more room because he was growing bigger. Well now he is pooping and sometimes peeing in there ( maybe 1-3 times a week) and the worst part is that he smashes the Poop and its covered in and sometimes he eats it I know its gross. This is so frustrating to me because I wake up at 6am to take him out and then go to work and the days he messes its more stressful because I then have to clean the cage and him not to mention I have two small kids I have to get ready as well so him messsing really is getting frustrating. He is a male husky if you need to know the breed he is not sick we just need to know what to do to stop this? Should I let him return to our room in his cage still while we are at work or what should I do? Thanks so much!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 16, 2013, 02:30 PM
    Healthy dogs only pee and poo in their crate when they have no choice. A crate is like a den to a dog, you don't pee and poo in the den, they learn that from the moment they're born in the wild. The domesticated dogs aren't any different when it comes to that rule.

In other words, he's doing this because he has no choice. He's doing this because he's not being given enough opportunities to potty outside.

How long is he in the crate for every day? How often is he allowed to relieve himself during the day? He's still a puppy, he needs to be able to use the potty multiple times a day. If he's in the crate more than 8 hours, with no relief, that's the reason he's pooing and peeing in his crate. He should be relieved at least every 4 hours, and even that's cutting it a bit close.

Think of it this way. If you were locked in a room all day, and really had to go to the bathroom, what option would you have but to do what you had to do, where you are?

Husky's are a tough breed. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate already. Are you prepared to handle a breed like a husky? They're definitely not for a novice dog owner.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 16, 2013, 02:50 PM
    Huskies are working dogs and need lots of exercise or they get difficult and frustrated in their surroundings, very intelligent. So he knows what he is doing and trying to tell you the only way he can.

Does he actually get outings to relieve the stress of being cooped up? Why do you have this particular breed of dog?
    Pets Expert

Jul 16, 2013, 03:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Huskies are working dogs and need lots of exercise or they get difficult and frustrated in their surroundings, very intelligent. So he knows what he is doing and trying to tell you the only way he can.

Does he actually get outings to relieve the stress of being cooped up? Why do you have this particular breed of dog?
    Tickle, what do you mean "he knows what he is doing and trying to tell you the only way he can"? Are you saying that he's pooing and peeing in his crate out of spite? That he's doing this to gain something?
    Expert

Jul 16, 2013, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Tickle, what do you mean "he knows what he is doing and trying to tell you the only way he can"? Are you saying that he's pooing and peeing in his crate out of spite? That he's doing this to gain something?
    I wouldn't say he is doing it out of spite. He is doing it because he is rebelling. Do you not think smart dogs can do that? I know they can.
    Pets Expert

Jul 16, 2013, 04:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I wouldn't say he is doing it out of spite. He is doing it because he is rebelling. Do you not think smart dogs can do that? I know they can.
    I know they can't.

I do know that some people believe that dogs have and show human behavior and emotions. Those people believe that their dogs are rebelling when they poo in their crate, or in the house. But those people are wrong, and usually end up with dogs that are very unsettled, misbehaved, and unhappy.

Dogs are dogs, not human beings. They don't do things to rebel, they don't do things out of spite. They do things because they either haven't been taught not to do them, or they have no choice.
    Expert

Jul 16, 2013, 05:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    I know they can't.

I do know that some people believe that dogs have and show human behavior and emotions. Those people believe that their dogs are rebelling when they poo in their crate, or in the house. But those people are wrong, and usually end up with dogs that are very unsettled, misbehaved, and unhappy.

Dogs are dogs, not human beings. They don't do things to rebel, they don't do things out of spite. They do things because they either haven't been taught not to do them, or they have no choice.
    I have never indicated that I credit dogs with human emotions. Good case in point. My dog taffy, upon me coming home from a long vacation without her, came up to my bedroom whirl I was unpacking, jumped on the bed and deliberately urinated while looking at me, then left. I know why she did it. She was also very well housebroken and had just been out.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2013, 06:42 PM
    My only suggestions is to put him back in the smaller crate. He obviously was doing better in the smaller crate vs the large one.

Huskies need tons of exercise. They are very athletic and were bred and designed to run for miles.

Has he been check out by a vet? Sometimes parasites can cause them to have uncontrollable BMs. Have you noticed if the stool is loose in any way?

Also.. the types of food you feed can also affect the GI tract. Low grade foods are full of fillers.. Sometimes these fillers can become a laxative and the dog can't help but go.

Another thing that could be going on.. instead of the acting spiteful.. he may be suffering from separation anxiety. If he is only doing this when you are gone, than he is upset that you left him. Separation anxiety dogs will exhibit behaviors all the way from just shivering and salivating to pooping and peeing to destruction. Separation anxiety is not a disease that can be cured. You can put him on medications to see if it helps, but unless the situation is changed or at least recognized, than the disease gets progressively worse.

Is there a doggy daycare close by that you can take him to? It won't cure separation anxiety, but maybe make it less stressful on you. It would also break up his week and he would be a much happier dog.

Running him until he literally drops will also help with his anxiety. He will be too tired to care if you are here or there. You don't need to exercise him daily, but at least 2-3 times a week.

Unfortunately you chose a very hyper and emotionally sensitive breed. You're going to have to work him into your lifestyle. If you're not willing to do that, or you just simply do not have the time for a high energy breed, than re-homing him might be the best option.

When looking for a dog, don't go off looks or what you see in movies. Base your decision on your lifestyle and how the dog is going to fit. High energy dogs need to live with high energy people. Low key dogs belong with low key families. Re-assess yourself and your lifestyle.. are you ready for a high energy dog for the next 10 years?
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jul 18, 2013, 10:09 AM
    Why are you keeping that dog in a crate long enough to have to relieve himself? Have to house trained this poor animal. A 10 month old dog should be pretty close to fully house trained and should be walked several times a day and at specific times so he KNOWS that is when he should do his duty. It's not the dog's fault. You are the owner, You need to take the time to teach your dog what is or isn't correct. Also, why did you move him? Th4ey get used to certain spots for their sleep and eating habits. You are confusing him.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jul 18, 2013, 10:14 AM
    Just one more thought. Maybe your life is just a little too demanding to have the responsibility of the dog now. You don't mention whether you are doing all of this alone or have a domestic partner. A young dog needs just as much training and attention as a child.. even more. Dog's don't have any sense of reason while small children learn that pretty quickly when training. You must figure out how to give him the attention he needs or make other arrangements for him before he learns that his behavior is OK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy pooping in cage again [ 3 Answers ]

We have a 6 month old puppy who is still pooping in her crate while we are at work during the day. We took Melik80's advice about the crate, and it worked - for one week. She got fixed, and while at the vet's (all day) she was in a crate and we don't know if she soiled his crate or not, but now...

How to get my 5 month old pit bull puppy to stop pooping in the kennel [ 2 Answers ]

My puppy is 5 months I have had her since she was born... She will not stop pooping in the kennel. I will leave for 3 hours and come back to Poop all in her kennel. I try to tell her no and go out side to potty but nothing seems to work. She sleeps out at night and has no problem . It is only when...

10 Month trained puppy started going in cage/house [ 1 Answers ]

My 9 month old puppy has been fully house broken for quite a few months. On average he can "hold it" about 7 hours (longer overnight). And he NEVER went in his cage. Over the past two days he has pooed and peed in both his cage and inside the house. All while we are gone. He has not been left...

6 month old boston terrier pooping in cage [ 1 Answers ]

My 6 month old boston terrier poops in her cage every time that we leave the house (not only does she poop, but she stomps on it and smears it all around the cage and on herself). It doesn't matter how we are gone, 30 minutes or 8 hrs! She never did this before - it just started last month when we...

Dog started pooping in cage after 1 month [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am new to this dog trianing thing. We bought a pug 5 weeks ago. He is 4 months old. The first month was perfect... no pee or poop ever in the crate. We this week he suddenly started to pee and poop in crate. The only thing I changed was his bed because he was eating the fur off the bed. ...

View more questions Search