Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    knris Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2007, 06:04 PM
    Broker fees
    Can I write off the broker fees that I paid when I refinanced my house? If so were do I deduct them at?
    jaynen76 Posts: 18, Reputation: 5

Mar 25, 2007, 06:17 PM
    Depends on if it were your primary residence or an investment property and how you paid him. This gets very tricky. If you paid him in the traditional fashion via escrow, then probably not. If it were an investment property, you could have written it off on a schedule C (assuming 1040) under commssions; again, depending on how you paid him.
    delite Posts: 202, Reputation: 3

Mar 25, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by knris
    Can I write off the broker fees that I paid when i refinanced my house? If so were do i deduct them at?
    Broker fees should be capitalized as part of the cost of residence. In general it is a personal expense.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 29, 2007, 10:54 AM
    Agreed! The broker fees are a personal expenses and CANNOT be deducted on the 2006 tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USMLE fees, h1b attorney fees [ 4 Answers ]

I am on a H1b visa in the US... my wife is a physician who is writing USMLE exams to get a residency in US... I was wondering if I can deduct all the usmle exam fees + costs of applying to residency programs (close to $5000) as expenses on my taxes? I also paid for the attorney fees to get my...

College application fees and testing fees as tax deductions [ 3 Answers ]

Are the fees we are paying for our son to apply to various colleges tax deductable? Also, what about the money paid to take ACT ; SAT and AP tests? And, th emoney spent requesting these scores be sent to the universities being applied to?

Mortages Broker [ 2 Answers ]

I can't find ( OK I get 200,000 hits) so I can't find my information. I would like info on becoming a mortgage broker, I am sure there must be some web sites that give info and so on. Any info would be apreaciated.

View more questions Search