Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reds2005 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2005, 06:20 AM
    Bathroom Vent
    We just remodeled a 1st floor bathroom. There is 1 sink, a shower and a toilet. They all drain into a 4" main with the shower at the far end then the sink then the shower. Before remodeling there were 2, 2" vents tapped off the horizontal main, 1 between the toilet and the sink drain entry and one between the shower and sink entry. Those 2 were tied together and tied into the 1 1/2 vent off the sink. That in turn went up and tied into a 4" vent stack that was tied into the main between the shower and sink. Confused? In the remodel a plummer told us we could eliminate the 4" cast vent that ran up and that the 2 2" vents would suffice. So we did. After it was finished all worked well for a couple of months then sometimes when the shower drained, it would set up a siphon actions and pull the water out of the toilet. I had installed a clean-out at the end of the line after the toilet, and I could unscrew that plug and air would suck in and all would work fine. To test my therory I tapped off the clean out and ran another 2 " vent. It seems to be OK now. Is there any promlem with letting this vent at the end of the line?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 3, 2005, 07:36 AM
    Bathroom Vent
    Quote Originally Posted by reds2005
    We just remodeled a 1st floor bathroom. There is 1 sink, a shower and a toilet. They all drain into a 4" main with the shower at the far end then the sink then the shower. Before remodeling there were 2, 2" vents tapped off of the horizontal main, 1 between the toilet and the sink drain entry and one between the shower and sink entry. Those 2 were tied together and tied into the 1 1/2 vent off of the sink. That in turn went up and tied into a 4" vent stack that was tied into the main between the shower and sink. Confused? In the remodel a plummer told us we could eliminate the 4" cast vent that ran up and that the 2 2" vents would suffice. So we did. After it was finished all worked well for a couple of months then sometimes when the shower drained, it would set up a siphon actions and pull the water out of the toilet. I had installed a clean-out at the end of the line after the toilet, and I could unscrew that plug and air would suck in and all would work fine. To test my therory I tapped off the clean out and ran another 2 " vent. It seems to be ok now. Is there any promlem with letting this vent at the end of the line?
    What happened to the 1 1/2" lavatory vent? What now vents it? Where did you terminate the vent that you took off the clean out? All this could have been eliminated if the plumber had increased the lavatory vent to 2" and discharged the shower into the lavatory drain providing the lavatory discharged downstream from the toilet. Was this a licensed plumber that did the work? Regards, Tom

Feb 3, 2005, 07:53 AM
    Answers
    I guess I wasn't clear in my description. Here is the order of drainage from the end of the line. Clean-out, toilet, 4' of 4", 2" vent, sink drain, 2" vent, shower drain, then out to the main sewer drain. The 2, 2" vents tie together and then tie into the 1 1/2" vent that comes off of the sink between the trap and where it ties into the main drain and then it goes up and terminates through a 4" roof vent. I put the new vent in at the clean-uot which is actually the end of the line and terminated it at the roof.
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 3, 2005, 08:26 AM
    Bathroom Vent
    I guess I wasn't clear in my description. Here is the order of drainage from the end of the line. Clean-out, toilet, 4' of 4", 2" vent, sink drain, 2" vent, shower drain, then out to the main sewer drain. The 2, 2" vents tie together and then tie into the 1 1/2" vent that comes off of the sink between the trap and where it ties into the main drain and then it goes up and terminates through a 4" roof vent. I put the new vent in at the clean-uot which is actually the end of the line and terminated it at the roof.
    Thanks for the clarification. Your vent layout works for me. Tom

Feb 4, 2005, 08:44 AM
    Bubble
    Ok, no gurgle or siphon action now. Now when the shower runs a long time it starts to back up and drain very slowly. The toilet then bubbles up and sewer gas is present. If the shower is allowed to drain, all else work fine after short time. We've had problems with roots in the sewer pipe before and we haven't had them snaked for a while. This sounds more to me like a partial block to me because it is bubbling up not gurggling down. What do you think?
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 4, 2005, 11:14 AM
    Ok, no gurgle or siphon action now. Now when the shower runs a long time it starts to back up and drain very slowly. The toilet then bubbles up and sewer gas is present. If the shower is allowed to drain, all else work fine after short time. We've had problems with roots in the sewer pipe before and we haven't had them snaked for a while. This sounds more to me like a partial block to me because it is bubbling up not gurggling down. What do you think?
    I think you're correct. You have a partial blockage in your line. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom Vent Pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Is It Ok To Drain My Central Ac Unit Into My 4" Bath Vent Pipe And Should There Be Water In That Pipe. The Ac Guys Did That Because The Other Ac Pipe Was Cloged.

Venting new bathroom into existing vent [ 1 Answers ]

I'm in the process of adding an additional bathroom on the 3rd floor of our house. My question is this, can I vent this bathroom into the 2nd floor bathroom vent, which about 10 feet away from my planned 3rd floor waste line? Are there any restrictions on how many horizontal feet versus vertical...

Basement Bathroom Vent [ 6 Answers ]

I am finishing my basement. It has roughed-in plumbing under the slab for a bathtub, sink and toilet tied to pit for a sewage ejector pump to pump up to the municipal sewer. There is a 2" capped PVC pipe protruding from the first floor bathroom, which is directly above this bathroom. I am...

New Basement Bathroom - Drain and Vent [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We would like to install a new bathroom (well, half bath = sink + toilet) in our basement. Currently, there is a toilet down there, sitting on a cast iron wye off the main sewer line for the house. We want to move the toilet by approx. 8 feet. The final position would be directly above...

Basement bathroom vent [ 5 Answers ]

I want to put a shower, sink and toilet in a basement I am developing. When they built the house they did not rough in any plumbing nor did they run a vent to the basement. After I break up the concrete to install the drains I still have the venting problems. Can I run a vent line horizontally out...

View more questions Search