Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cedricf1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2013, 09:55 AM
    Does the IRS care about money transfers into the US
    My mom is a US citizen and planning to sell property that is outside the US. Let's say she'll get around US $100,000 for the sale. She plans on getting a check for that amount in her name and depositing in the US. So the questions are:
    1) Will there be any taxes on that $100,000? Remember that it's her own money and deposited via check.
    2) Would the IRS get notified about the check deposit in such cases (large amount and coming from outside the US)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    CF
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 15, 2013, 10:08 AM
    Yes, a deposit of that size WILL be reported to the IRS.

There are NO transfer taxes, but she must pay capital gains taxes on the sale of the property using Schedule D.

Jul 15, 2013, 11:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    Yes, a deposit of that size WILL be reported to the IRS.

There are NO transfer taxes, but she must pay capital gains taxes on the sale of the property using Schedule D.
    Thank you for the response AtlantaTaxExpert. But I want to clarify that the property was bought and will be sold in a foreign country. Any taxes on capital gains will be paid in that country and the NET will be, let's say, the equivalent of $100,000 (after taxes). In this scenario, will my mom still have to pay capital gains in the US as well?
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 15, 2013, 06:39 PM
    Since ALL world-wide income must be reported on your mother's tax return, yes, she still must report the capital gains on Schedule D. Any tax due may be offset by claiming the Foreign Tax Credit using Form 1116.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jul 15, 2013, 11:15 PM
    1. All U.S. citizens and residents must report worldwide income.
    2. Another filing requirement is Form TD F 90-22.1 and/or 8938 Specified foreign financial assets (SFFA). Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 16, 2013, 04:36 AM
    MukatA is right about the FBAR and Form 8938 (FATCA) requirements which I failed to mention.

Jul 16, 2013, 09:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    MukatA is right about the FBAR and Form 8938 (FATCA) requirements which I failed to mention.
    Thank you for the replies.
    One more question:
    Do non US citizens (say US permanent residents) also have to declare sale of foreign property? Or does the rule only apply to US citizens?
    Because in my mom's case, the house is joint with my sister who is not a US citizen, she's a US permanent resident.
    I guess one more question comes to mind then:
    Can my sister deposit the $100,000 in the US with no tax consequences?
    Again, thank you for all the good advice!
    - CF
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 16, 2013, 12:17 PM
    If your mother files as a resident, she must declare all world-wide income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

UK Tax rules on money transfers to USA [ 1 Answers ]

I am a UK National who has worked continually abroad since 1976 for an American company with whom I have retirement plan. The money is held in US dollars in an Isle of Man account. I would like to use the money to buy a house in the US and need to know if it will be the subject of UK tax?

Foreign money transfers to an american bank [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter married a foreign national. They live in Africa. She still has a checking acct here in the US. He recently was employed by a large multi national company headquartered in a 3rd country. It would be advantageous for his salary to be deposited into my daughter's checking account...

View more questions Search