Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AulzHvgFun Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2013, 03:27 PM
    Help removing an old faucet's undersink "nut"
    I have an older faucet. Under the sink it is not held on with the normal nut. It has a flat circular/rounded piece (about 1/4 thick) that screw up to the base of the underside of the sink. Then there are 2 screws on each side of this flat/plate.

I've removed the screws and need to unscrew this plate/nut thing from the faucet itself, but this is no "head" area to put a wrench on. It can't be hand untightened because it looks to be rusted on. There are no angels on this piece to get any leverage on.

It looks like a circle, with two opposite side pulled further apart to allow for screw holes. And is only abou5 1/4 - 1/2 thick.

Any ideas on how to best unscrew this?

I tried leaving one screw in (only screwed in a couple turns) and then using a hammer and hitting it, in the counter-clockwise direction... the screw just bent.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 15, 2013, 08:23 AM
    It's Ovals hard to get at nuts under a faulted purchase a basin wrench (see image) . Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 15, 2013, 09:56 AM
    Tom said, "It's Ovals hard to get at nuts under a faulted"...

He meant to type, it's ALWAYS hard to get at nuts under a FAUCET... ;)

Like Tom said, purchase a BASIN WRENCH (see image he posted above)... should resolve the issue quickly.

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lyrics "now the rain." " I was watching for the people"... "started to pray"... [ 1 Answers ]

This was a song that used to play on 'western music' in early 90's. It was sung by a male with a chorus... can someone help me please...

"plumber grade" vs "big box" vs "online" fixtures... [ 5 Answers ]

I have heard/read that there is a difference in the part quality, etc when purchasing faucets and plumbing parts from a showroom vs big box retailers vs online. Even if they are the same manufacturer part number? Are the big box and online parts less durable/made of cheaper components that the...

Please convert "Evolution", "Transformation", "Phoenix" in Sanskrit [ 0 Answers ]

Please convert 1. "Evolution", 2."Transformation", 3."Phoenix" in Sanskrit God bless - this will be used for a tattoo

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

View more questions Search