Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ABunker Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2013, 06:24 AM
    What is the 1/2 inch copper drain pipe coming from my slab outside my home?
    I have a 1/2 inch copper pipe that is a 90 degree to the ground coming out of my slab on the outside of the home. It has never had water come from it before that I know. The water is not "running" out at a high speed, but is more than a drip for sure. It is cold water. It is not near any hot water heater or bathrooms. When I turn off the water main to the home, it stops running out of the pipe as well. I don't see any water on the floors, ceiling (two story) or walls. Running a sink or toilet does not change the flow. The hot water heater is on the other side of the home. I have No idea what this pipe is for, but it appears to be for draining of something. Any ideas what it is? Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 14, 2013, 06:36 AM
    What you have coming out of your slab is a drain line for the temperature and pressure relief valve on your water heater. Sound like you have a faulty T&Ptha must be replaced. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Jul 14, 2013, 06:55 AM
    Thank you Tom very much. I will look into this and appreciate your input.

Jul 14, 2013, 06:59 AM
    Tom, would the water be cold and stop running when I shut off water main? Just seemed odd since hot water heater. I'm a novice home owner. Thanks

Jul 14, 2013, 07:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    What you have coming out of your slab is a drain line for the temperature and pressure relief valve on your water heater. Sound like you have a faulty T&Ptha must be replaced. Good luck, Tom
    Tom, would the water be cold and stop running when I shut off water main? Just seemed odd since hot water heater. I'm a novice home owner. Thank you for your help as I will check for it somehow, though not sure how to verify.

Jul 14, 2013, 07:36 AM
    Picture attached if I did correctly. PVC pipe connected to Pressure Relief Valve and goes directly outside of house opposite side of home from Copper Pipe with water coming out. Shut off Water heater Water line and Water Softener and it is still coming out the pipe. Any other clues or am I just an idiot?
    Attached Images

afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2013, 10:21 AM
    Hello ABunker,

Suggest to lift the Lever that I have shown in the pictuer if the water flow increase then the copper pipe is the drain from the T&P valve as Tom says, once you confirm that then we tell you what to be done, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

Jul 14, 2013, 01:31 PM
    Thank you for your help. I did pulled the pressure valve and it went out the drain it was connected to, but not the one on side of house that is the 3/4 inch copper that is running. I shut off everything in the house and it kept running and the meter was still running. There is No sign of water damage in the home. Nothing is wet. The only way to get the copper pipe from dripping is to shut off the water main. It is not the Air Cond drain. That one is working. I am perplexed as can be. Any other thoughts?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 14, 2013, 03:52 PM
    Is it possible that this is a pipe from the water softener and that the system is regenerating? Check out the pipes at the water softener system... see if you can link the pipe and softener together... ;)

Mark

Jul 14, 2013, 04:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Is it possible that this is a pipe from the water softener and that the system is regenerating? Check out the pipes at the water softener system...see if you can link the pipe and softener together...;)

Mark
    I pulled the drain hose for the softener out and nothing is come out of it, but water is still coming out of Copper Pipe on side of the house. This is unbelievable.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 14, 2013, 04:47 PM
    Show us a picture of this pipe.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2013, 05:30 PM
    From what I see your house has CPVC. However, in lieu of an expansion tank you may have a thermal expansion relief valve on the hot water heater in addition to the TPV. Turn the water off to the HW heater. Water stop? I can't imagine anything else it could be.

Jul 15, 2013, 05:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    From what I see your house has CPVC. However, in lieu of an expansion tank you may have a thermal expansion relief valve on the hot water heater in addition to the TPV. Turn the water off to the HW heater. Water stop? I can't imagine anything else it could be.

Attached Picture of Pipe that is coming out of slab and clear cold water coming out. The house is 25 years old. The plumbing I believe is copper, but when they put a new hot water heater in 4 years ago, they attached with CPVC.

I turned the water off/shut off valve at Cold line on the hot water heater and it continued to run at the pipe. I appreciate very much the advice. My brother and I are perplexed to say the least.
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Jul 15, 2013, 07:52 AM
    Is the boiler drain to the hot-water heater connected to a copper pipe? There is no doubt in my mind that this is some sort of the drain. Start shutting off the supplies to various fixtures and seeing if the water doesn't stop. Let me know, Tom

Jul 15, 2013, 09:11 AM
    Is the boiler drain to the hot-water heater connected to a copper pipe? There is no doubt in my mind that this is some sort of the drain. Start shutting off the supplies to various fixtures and seeing if the water doesn't stop. Let me know, Tom
    Have had a plumber there. Says he thinks the drain pipe has rubbed under the slab with the cold copper pipe in the slab and the water from the cold pipe may have a pin hole leak and rubbed up against the drain pipe. Sounds out there, but now have a Leak detector coming in to find it. They can hear it but not pin point it. I'm starting to see $$ signs in my head.
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 15, 2013, 09:16 AM
    Let us know what they find. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Install 3 inch toilet drain in concrete slab [ 1 Answers ]

I want to add a new toilet to the laundry room in our garage which is located on a concrete slab. The plumbing is already installed for a laundry sink and a washer. This will require adding a 3 inch pvc drain for a toilet that will have to be installed through the concrete slab which will be inches...

How to connect 1 1/2 inch copper pipe to PVC [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1 11/2 in diameter copper drain pipe and need to connect it to a PVC pipe. What's the best way to do this? Thanks

Finding copper pipe under a slab [ 10 Answers ]

Morning, Yesterday I discovered my 4th hot water slab leak in a year. Wife not happy again. I have decided to quit tearing up the slab water lines and install Zurn PEX with a polysleve in the attic crawl space. Not much head room on a 36' wide 3/12 pitch roof Stats: North Texas, zero degrees...

Busted toilet drain pipe on a slab 1973 home [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all and Happy Holidays. I have a bit of a dilema with a bathroom Im redmodeling. I hope soemone can provide me with some plumbing education, since Im lost. It all started with me deciding to remove the old toilet. Keep in mind, Im in an L shaped ranch, bathrooms are back to back,...

Copper pipe in the slab [ 5 Answers ]

In moving our kitchen to another part of the house, I discovered (after removing the old floor cabinets) that the plumbing seems rather "unusual". The 3/4" lines comes out of the floor (slab) to go up to the old sink, but then cross over above the slab about a foot before then going down again...

View more questions Search