Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djhowell Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2005, 10:29 PM
    Fservice.exe at startup
    I am running xp home edition. I am unable to launch most programs. The ones that I can open I have to right click the mouse and "run as" and uncheck the "protect the computer and data from activity" to get them to work. I also get a message at startup that Windows cannot find fservice.exe

What should I do?
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Feb 3, 2005, 05:19 AM
    Howdy:

You may be infected with the Backdoor.Prorat trojan..

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...or.prorat.html

Murray

Feb 3, 2005, 10:34 PM
    I am unable to run regedit or any other things that I have found from doing searches on this problem. I have used spybot and Windows Registry Pro to correct all problems found. I get a clean scan when I run them now. I even found the fservice.exe in one of the files with the Registry Pro and deleted the file and I still get the message at startup. It is like the hard drive is not communitating with the desktop when I try to use programs. I can connect to the internet but when I try to open Explorer it goes into a loop and will not load. I'm not sure where my XP disk is so I have not been able to reformat the disk.

Any ideas?? DJ

Feb 4, 2005, 05:38 AM
    Can you use your "search" option to check your drive for the following files?

Main.exe
    Loader.exe
    Msmsg.exe
    Winserv.dll
    Fservice.exe
    Sservice.exe
    Winlogon.exe
    Wininv.dll
    Winkey.dll

These could be located in the system or system32 folders

Murray

Feb 4, 2005, 05:57 PM
    Murray, After doing the search of my C:drive I only found one of the files on the list- Winlog.exe was in the system32 folder

What next?

Feb 4, 2005, 06:16 PM
    Go to the link I gave and follow the removal instructions for everything in there.. Make sure you follow them EXACTLY..

When finished, go to the following link and follow the AGBOT removal instructions as well..

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/anal...2agobotlf.html

Murray

Feb 7, 2005, 11:21 AM
    Murray, I am unable to follow the instructions because I cannot get the "regedit" to open. It seems that most of the Windows commands do not work. I have tried to run from the SAFE MODE also. If I can locate the file by going through the control panel and opening the Windows folder would that get it deleted?

Am open to any suggestions,
    DJ

Feb 7, 2005, 05:35 PM
    As long as you can find that exact file, you can delete it..

Murray
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2005, 07:22 AM
    Virus
    Hi,
    This might be a "dumb" answer or question, but have you done a scan with your Antivirus Program yet?
    If you have an Antivirus Program, trying starting your computer in SafeMode, then run the Scan.
    Best of luck,
    fredg

Feb 8, 2005, 09:55 PM
    Thanks for your suggestions, I think that I'm making progress. I've deleted the fservice.exe from where you said and I no longer get the error during start up. I'm still not able to launch most softwear. Should I reinstall the programs that are not opening? I also had some pictures saved from a digital camera that I can no longer locate on the hard drive. I was wondering if they were deleted with registry pro or spy bot or nortons was it possible to recover. I had Systems Works installed at least 2 months before all these problems occurred. I downloaded the pictures from the camera on the 8th of January but am not sure what date they disappeared.

DJ

Feb 9, 2005, 06:02 AM
    If you know the name of the folder or the one of the pics, just do a search of your system for them and see what comes up..

As for the programs, if you have the install disks, a re-install wouldn't hurt anything..

Murray

Mar 1, 2005, 10:04 PM
    Hello,
    I've re-installed my softwear and located a backup cd of my pictures. The computer is running much better but I still have one problem, I cannot get the Internet Explorer to open any web pages. I'm connected to the internet, mostly I get that the page cannot be displayed or an error box that states that Internet Explorer could not open the search page and when I click OK I get the page cannot be displayed error again. I was wondering if you have any suggestions?

DJ
    Rockstar_Killer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2011, 03:27 PM
    look. Just go to Start , than run , in run type : regedit , than click on edit , than go to "Find" , than type Shell and click Find next. If fservice virus is in your PC the value of Shell is : Explorer.exe c:\windows\system32\fservice.exe (something like this.. ) , just right click on shell and than "Modify" than change its value to : explorer.exe , and the problem will be fixed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Startup problem [ 5 Answers ]

XP home sometimes hangs or freezes on startup before reaching "the blue windows is loading screen "

Startup.. [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: Yes guys need help... I can't stop a folder from opening when the windows startup... but this folder isn't like this before... I wonder why...

Startup what's going on? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Why does my computer tell me setup is updating configuration files every time I start up regardless and takes about 2mins to get past this before loading windows, I am using win98se. :confused:

Startup [ 5 Answers ]

It Takes 3 Minutes For My Computer To Start Up. I Believe It's Because I Have Too Many Start-ups In The Bottom Right Of My Screen. How Do I Know Which Of These I Can Remove,and How Do I Remove Them??

Svchost.exe?  And startup but not in startup file? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear All, Can you tell me what svchost.exe is? I'm always getting a box saying it has generated errors and will be closed. Also, a lot of things start up without being in the startup file. Where does the computer get the command to start those things up? The registry or somewhere else? ...

View more questions Search