Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dbmiller Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2005, 07:31 PM
    Shower and tub valve set
    After having my last dilemna solved here, I figured it was worth another shot. We are attempting to pick out a shower valve for our shower stall. The one set that we like includes a tub faucet that we don't need as the space has a shower stall only, no tub. My question is... is it possible and OK to use that set and not use the faucet? Can I simply cap off the lead that would go to the faucet and simply use it strictly as a shower head unit? For clarification, the faucet in the set has the lever on it to activate the shower. It is not on the valve piece. We are looking for a brushed nickel finish and can't find any sets without the faucet.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 3, 2005, 05:41 AM
    shower and tub valve set
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmiller
    After having my last dilemna solved here, I figured it was worth another shot. We are attempting to pick out a shower valve for our shower stall. The one set that we like includes a tub faucet that we don't need as the space has a shower stall only, no tub. My question is...is it possible and ok to use that set and not use the faucet? Can I simply cap off the lead that would go to the faucet and simply use it strictly as a shower head unit? For clarification, the faucet in the set has the lever on it to activate the shower. It is not on the valve piece. We are looking for a brushed nickel finish and can't find any sets without the faucet.
    Good morning Mr. Miller, (May I call you DB?)
    Before we take our relationship to the next level. Let's get on the same page with definitions, ( you'll have to pardon me, you're my first post and I feel chatty.)
    Tub Faucet does not = Tub spout.
    Having cleared that little matter up. The valve body should have a 1/2" threaded opening in the bottom of the valve body. To change your tub and shower valve into a shower valve simply purchase a a brass 1/2" threaded plug and some teflon tape, screw in the plug and you're free to rub-a-dub in style. Cheers, Tom
    quito Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2013, 08:55 PM
    Not an answer but a question with a situation similar to Mr MIllers.

Got a Gerber GS-305 shower/tub single handle valve at a price too good to pass up. It is the solder connection type vs the threaded type inlets. Since I will not be using the tub outlet port I want to seal it, but without threads I will have to solder something in the port. There was a little brass, I'm going to call it, plug included in the package that fit right into the port. I assume that this can be soldered into the tub outlet port. But I have never soldered brass to brass (valve is a brass body). Can I assume it will act similar to Copper and I can use the same lead free solder used in a normal copper joint? Or would you suggest another option to closing off the tub outlet?

Thanks,
    Jim
    Mike45plus Posts: 230, Reputation: 27

Jun 27, 2013, 04:22 AM
    Yes, you can solder brass to brass with lead free solder. A little more heat is required; brass is more dense than copper, and the mass of the shower valve body will absorb some of the heat away from the point of attack. I would suggest that you remove the cartridge before making any solder connections to the valve. After the valve is cool, turn on the water & flush the valve body before installing the cartridge...
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 27, 2013, 05:54 AM
    Hi Jim

Mike's suggestions are spot on, so be sure to remove the cartridge before soldering and flush the valve for best result.

Before soldering the brass plug, clean it with sandcloth, clean the valve body with a cleaning brush (or sandcloth) and then flux both the valve body and the plug... insert the plug so it leaves about an 1/8" of the brass plug exposed and then solder like any other soldered joint.

Good luck!

Mark

Jun 27, 2013, 10:05 AM
    Thank you both for your advice. Having never soldered brass I was unsure if you needed a special solder or other material to get a good joint. I actually am going to solder the plug and water line fittings in on my workbench first for ease of work (sometimes not much room in the wall), and yes I will be removing the cartridge, seal, etc first before soldering.

Thanks again,
    Jim

Dec 5, 2013, 06:36 PM
    Late reply but thanks for the comments and advise. Soldering the brass was easier then I thought. You do have to put more heat into the body to get it hot enough. I used a combination of CU fittings and then went with PEX and sharkbite fittings between the CU from the value to the incoming water supply. Made it a lot easier to deal with the mismatch of existing incoming pipe locations and the valve (new valve was much wider which put it on the wrong side of a stud).

I expect the same thing in our other 2 bathrooms that I am redoing so plan on using the same scheme.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help on Dripping Shower Valve [ 3 Answers ]

I have an American Standard shower valve that needs to be rebuilt/replaced. I've managed to get the handle off with a puller, but now am stuck trying to remove the stem cover (I'm guessing that's what it's called). Do you have any idea how I get this off (see below). I assume it spins on, as...

Leak in shower valve [ 1 Answers ]

Need some help with a leak in the hot water valve in the shower. It does not leak when the valve is closed, but leaks behind the valve when the hot or the cold water valve is opened up. It appears to me to be a pinhole, but I cannot see it. The leak is only behind the hot (left) even when the cold...

Shower valve body [ 1 Answers ]

I'm installing a new shower in an addition and purchased a new shower kit from Price Pfister. The shower valve is going into a 2x4 wall. The question I have is do they make different sizes of valve bodies because the one I have, when installed according to instructions, will only allow for about...

Changing a shower valve [ 11 Answers ]

How do you know what rough in pipe size (for your new valve)your shower is without opening the wall. My house is 7 years old. There is a bathroom next to it as well.

Shower valve [ 3 Answers ]

Tom, how are you doing? Can you explain all of the differences to me between a thermostatic water valve and a pressure regulated valve, and which one would be the best to use for my new shower for temp. control. I want to avoid those WOWs when someone turns on water somewhere else in the house....

View more questions Search