Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nojerryrigs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2007, 01:41 PM
    Plumbing sleeves for pool replumbing
    Does anybody know of a product for resleeving 1.5 copper pool pipe? I am repairing a concrete/plaster inground pool built in the late 50's. 1.5 inch copper pipe was used. I know I have a leak on the return line and also believe I have one on the main pool drain (the pool water level drops to about 2 feet from the pool edge and doesn't go further. I have dug down as far as I can, following the drain line (I ran into the concrete skimmer base which the copper goes through). I don't want to destroy the skimmer if I don't have to but will if needed. My father in-law (who owns stock in baleing wire) suggested resleeving. What do you think?
    tlsmith85 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 07:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nojerryrigs
    Does anybody know of a product for resleeving 1.5 copper pool pipe? I am repairing a concrete/plaster inground pool built in the late 50's. 1.5 inch copper pipe was used. I know I have a leak on the return line and also believe I have one on the main pool drain (the pool water level drops to about 2 feet from the pool edge and doesn't go further. I have dug down as far as I can, following the drain line (I ran into the concrete skimmer base which the copper goes through). I don't want to destroy the skimmer if I don't have to but will if needed. My father in-law (who owns stock in baleing wire) suggested resleeving. what do you think?
    Did you ever solve this problem? I might have the same issue but with galvanized pipe.
    serendipity pools Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Jun 15, 2007, 11:42 AM
    The copper and galvanized pipe has to go. Sorry for the bad news. The good news is that you can identify for sure where the leaks are with a pressure test. If the water level drops two feet in the pool I would be much more inclined to think skimmer than main drain.

I have never once encountered a successful "sleeving" on a swimming pool. Replace your pipes with new, more reliable solutions. If you have a vinyl liner pool with a sand or vermiculite concrete base I would recommend to remove the main drain all together. This is not required for the successful operation of your pool. Install a new skimmer, or at least a brand new PVC schedule 40 pipe directly to the old skimmer. Replace the returns in the same fashion.

If you take any approach other than this replacement with proper PVC pipe and new returns and skimmer connection - I PROMISE that you are on a ticking clock until your pool starts leaking again.

Pressure test all of your pipes and connections instead of eyeballing them and saying "I think that looks good". There are lots of things in life you can take short cuts with. Electricity, car brakes and swimming pools you can not... brain surgery also I suppose =)

I hope this information helps. You have a big job, but not terribly difficult job ahead of you. Good luck.

Steve Goodale
    Serendipity Pools

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pool Plumbing [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have a pool pipe that goes from my skimmer to pump. It sprang a leak. The pipe was copper about 1.25 inch diameter. The pool company cut off the pipe at the leak (around 1 foot from pump) and fit on a larger diameter PVC pipe with some type of transition coupler over the copper pipe....

Replumbing a house in Florida (built 1949)not on a slab [ 2 Answers ]

I own a house in Miami built in 1949. I know that the plumbing has not been redone (at least for the past 30 years). The house has 3 baths which seem to be working, however one bath has been backing up. I have a feeling it needs to be replumbed. Is there any one out there that can give me a rough...

Replumbing a Florida Slab house [ 3 Answers ]

Tom, When running new water lines in a single family, slab, Florida house, do you go through the attic? Or chop up all that concrete? If you go through the attic, do you insulate the cpvc to prevent condensation drips from leaking on your ceilings? Can you just strap the pipe over the...

Pool heater [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a way to heat a pool without going to the trouble of installing a full blown heater? Such as something to put in the pool like a fish tank.

Pool Hall [ 0 Answers ]

Hello experts, I'm about to start my own bar & pool hall business. I've found this existing bar & restaurant & it's seemed relevant for what I've aimed for. But there is one problem. The bar area is not big enough to put any pool tables. This place also comes with a four-bedrooms apartment...

View more questions Search