Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hospice Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2013, 05:57 AM
    Unsafe work environment
    I am a hospice 'on call' nurse who has been working from my home for last 3 yrs. I was informed by my supervisor shortly 'on call model' will change and I will be required to work nightly 12midn-8am from company office. I feel this to be very unsafe envoirnment,coming and going to emergant pt needs.to my knowledge there is not a security guard in this building. My husband has told me he will not allow me to be placed in harms way like this,I agree. Help!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 10, 2013, 06:06 AM
    A change of this kind is grounds for quitting AND collecting unemployment (usually you have to be laid off, and quitting is not grounds).
    But other than that, you have no say in what company policy changes they make.
    You could talk to other nurses for a group effort, or just express your safety concerns privately, and hope they see the light. Maybe they hadn't thought of the danger. I would want more money, but good luck with that too. Cutbacks in gov't funding haven't slowed down at all from what I understand.
    If you quit make sure you tell them you plan to file for UI. Their rates go up when that happens, and they might want to reconsider. So you do have a tiny bit of bargaining power.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 10, 2013, 08:01 AM
    The company has the right to request that you work out of their office, They are not requierd to have a security guard. You have the right to quit and find another job. This is not a "unsafe work envoirment" it is merely not safe to your belief, You do not like the office location.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have case for unsafe work environment? [ 3 Answers ]

I worked for a company where I was constantly being harassed by the employees they would go use my bathroom, and spread human feces around the toilet, they would take my food out of the refrigerator,they would spill soda on my desk, they would call me names " purto rican bicth", they would take...

Unsafe work environment [ 3 Answers ]

I work for A City Government and have been forced to work in a bldg. that does not pass International Building Codes on Plumbing,Fire and Building. It has only one egress , no operable bathrooms and has no Fire ext. Would this be considered a unsafe work environment? I have already filed a...

Unsafe work environment law- Hawaii [ 1 Answers ]

I work in a homeless shelter and I feel it is very vital to keep staff and member in a safe environment. A new rule was put into place were the "member" who has violated a rule of the shelter will be notified immediatately by a "shelter lead". Example: I see a rule violation as I walk pass...

Unsafe working environment [ 3 Answers ]

I am wondering if I've been in a unsafe working environment.Today I got into a dispute with a fellow coworker and he threatened to punch me in the face.I got upset afterwards and walked out.I did say a few things on way out but nothing any worse than he said to me before and I got fired and nothing...

What constitutes an "unsafe work environment"? [ 7 Answers ]

My company is currently experiencing severe issues with power problems (caused at least partially by the local energy company). This has resulted in power surges, power losses, and "brown outs". It has also caused us to lose air conditioning in much of our building. My office is an...

View more questions Search