Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janiedoles Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2007, 01:21 PM
    Red wine shelf life?
    What's a safe estimate for storing unopened red wine if you don't have a wine cellor or cooler? I just keep it in a cool and dark place, but don't want to risk it turning. How long do I have?
    Janie
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2007, 01:25 PM
    Janie could you give me a little more information what the exact wine is that you are wanting to keep i.e grape variety and region.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2007, 01:49 PM
    Depends on the temperature where your storing them, if you can keep them around 50 to 60 degrees F then as long as you like. Bottles of wine from the 50's are extremely valuable but also rare. Put a thermometer in the area you store your wine, if it stays below 70 then your wine should keep fine.

Check the link for more info.

Storage Guide - Wine Storage
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2007, 01:58 PM
    Most corked varieties should be leftt in a cool, dark place away from bright light. Its best to store them on their side, rather then upright, if there's a cork , this keeps the cork moist and airtight. Red and white wine, when opened, will do well in the refrigerator 3-5 days, Champagne/sparkling wines also. White wine just needs chilling beofre serving. The idea conditions to store good wine is temperature of around 55 humidity 70-80%.:)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 25, 2007, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lovelesspa
    Most corked varieties when left in a cool, dark place away from bright light will survive for a few weeks,
    Loveless, this is twaddle!
    It is impossible to make sweeping generalisations about wine storage as there are so many differing factors affecting storage.

Red and white wine will do well in the refrigerator 3-5 days, Champagne/sparkling wines also.
    This is ONLY true for opened bottles and NOT as the OP says UNopened.

The idea conditions to store good wine is temperature of around 55 humidity 70-80%.
    Almost there.

Temperature is probably the most important factor. Wine ageing involves a complex series of chemical reactions, and these take place faster at higher temperatures. The problem is, not only do these reactions speed up as the mercury rises, but their nature also changes. So while a wine kept at a steady 20 °C will mature faster, it is likely to be less interesting and complex than one kept at the conventional cellar temperature of 11–12 °C. Still higher temperatures will cook wine, completely ruining it. With a paucity of decent scientific data it’s hard to be precise, but keeping a wine above 25 °C for a few months will inevitably kill it, as will shorter exposures to temperatures above 30 °C. At the other end of the scale, temperatures below 10 °C aren’t going do damage wine, but they will slow down its maturation. But go down too far and there’s a risk that the wine will freeze. Not recommended.Wide temperature fluctuations are also detrimental to long term storage.

Other extremely important factors are lack of vibrations, lack of light. A constant humidity isn't that inportant as the wine keeps the cork moist.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2007, 03:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Loveless, this is twaddle !!
    It is impossible to make sweeping generalisations about wine storage as there are so many differing factors affecting storage.

This is ONLY true for opened bottles and NOT as the OP says UNopened.

Almost there.

Temperature is probably the most important factor. Wine ageing involves a complex series of chemical reactions, and these take place faster at higher temperatures. The problem is, not only do these reactions speed up as the mercury rises, but their nature also changes. So while a wine kept at a steady 20 °C will mature faster, it is likely to be less interesting and complex than one kept at the conventional cellar temperature of 11–12 °C. Still higher temperatures will cook wine, completely ruining it. With a paucity of decent scientific data it's hard to be precise, but keeping a wine above 25 °C for a few months will inevitably kill it, as will shorter exposures to temperatures above 30 °C. At the other end of the scale, temperatures below 10 °C aren't going do damage wine, but they will slow down its maturation. But go down too far and there's a risk that the wine will freeze. Not recommended.Wide temperature fluctuations are also detremental to long term storage.

Other extremely important factors are lack of vibrations, lack of light. A constant humidity isn't that inportant as the wine keeps the cork moist.
    Twaddle you say, well since the question was a generalization," red wine", doesn't say if it is corked, or cheap. Or brand... Sorry I answered incorrectly!:(
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 25, 2007, 03:30 PM
    Lovelesspa, my twaddle response had nothing to do with the "quality" of the wine in question, but your advice.

Your implication that wine will only last a few weeks and in some cases days is misleading in the extreme.

Yes I'm on my High Horse but after spending 10 years in the UK wine trade, many professional exams and teaching the subject I get narked when I see such crass advice given to a question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shelf life of vitamins [ 6 Answers ]

I have a bunch of vitamins that have no expiration date on the bottle. How long do vitamins generally last? I'm not sure if I should throw these away.

Storing opened red wine [ 9 Answers ]

Hi. Anyone able to tell me how I store red wine which has been opened? Particularly interested for very hot weather as it is currently hot here in Auckland! We have quite good bottle 'stoppers', but not sure what to do re temperature etc. Thanks, Kenny

Red Wine [ 5 Answers ]

After I open a bottle of red wine how should it be stored and for how long will it be good?

Red wine storage [ 14 Answers ]

Red wine. Some people after opening it store it for long periods. I have opened a bottle of wine but there is no way I am going to drink it all at once. Some places say it stays good in the fridge for only 3 or 5 days. Then I here it is better to serve it at room temperature. My questions, how long...

Shelf life of vitamins [ 1 Answers ]

What is the "shelf life" of vitamin E, also of "Omega-3" capsules? Is it, can it be useful or harmful to take same after expiry date of one year or more? Many thanks !

View more questions Search