Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joebob76 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2013, 04:24 AM
    How do I stop my child's mother from leaving the state with our daughter?
    My daughters mother has stated that she is moving out of state and is taking our daughter with her. My daughter currently resides with me and I have a signed and notarised shared parenting document which names me the residential parent, but it hasn't been filed with the courts for lack of a motion and a decree. What can I do to stop her?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 10, 2013, 04:29 AM
    File it in court!

Do not let her alone with the child until you do. Do you have proof of her stated intention?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2013, 07:12 AM
    What state and country would this be... laws vary.

Jul 10, 2013, 07:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    What state and country would this be...laws vary.
    Ohio. USA. Specicficly licking county.
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2013, 07:28 AM
    Actually without a court issued custody order... and court ordereed visitation... the mother has the same rights as you. Who told you it couldn't be filed with the courts? Any mutual agreement isn't going to have the force of law behind it as a court order would. Signed or not.

Jul 10, 2013, 09:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Actually without a court issued custody order...and court ordereed visitation....the mother has the same rights as you. Who told you it couldn't be filed with the courts? Any mutual agreement isn't going to have the force of law behind it as a court order would. Signed or not.
    the courts won't let me file it without a motion and a decree for shared parenting and they won't issue them to me stating that it is too complicated to be filled out without a lawyer.
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2013, 09:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joebob76 View Post
    the courts won't let me file it without a motion and a decree fo shared parenting and they won't issue them to me stating that it is too complicated to be filled out without a lawyer.
    That's making no sense to me... you are a parent... you are not together with the other parent... so you get a lawyer and petition the court to get legal custody.. wheich means more than just having physical custody.

Without that... she could take the child... and move to Iran and you couldn't stop them.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 10, 2013, 09:41 AM
    This document, is it signed by you both?

Quote Originally Posted by joebob76 View Post
    the courts won't let me file it without a motion and a decree fo shared parenting and they won't issue them to me stating that it is too complicated to be filled out without a lawyer.
    This is surprising because Family courts are generally less formal and more user friendly. You could just hire an attorney or even a para-legal to prepare the petition properly for the court.

But I repeat what I said before. Do not let her alone with the child until you have court ordered custody. If she brings the police into it, just show them the document making you the residential parent. And explain to them she has threatened to take the child out of state (if you have proof of that it would help).

But think about what it will cost you if you don't get the court order and she does abscond. It will be cheaper to get the court order.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2013, 09:51 AM
    My daughters mother in law took off with her daughter to Georgia. Ohio said she was in the wrong and had to take her back to Ohio. Now she has to keep going back to Ohio to get her daughter for visits and for court. You need to handle this before it ends up happening and Ohio court still doesn't listen to your concerns.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I stop the mother of my unborn child leaving the uk if we aren\ [ 2 Answers ]

My fiancé recently had an affair with a woman that he works with and this woman is a foreign national, we live in northern ireland. Me and my fiancé have worked threw this and are plannung on getting back together, but the woman is pregnant and claiming the child is his she is bot 6weeks, she has...

Arkansas law on mother leaving the state with a child if father [ 6 Answers ]

My son is married but separated, the mother has moved to another state, divorce hasn't been filed yet, can we make her come back to Arkansas

Can the father of my child stop me from leaving the state? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Iowa and I have a 5 month old son. The father of my child has left us and refused to see our son. Yet he wants to stop me from moving out of the state with my child. Can he do this?

How do I stop my child's mother from leaving the state with my child? [ 1 Answers ]

My daughters mother wants to move to Ohio with my child, leaving me, my parents and girlfriend behind who are greatly involved in my child's life. What can I do to stop her. She is the castodial parent.

View more questions Search