Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RJAM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2007, 01:20 PM
    Private Seller
    I recently sold a car to a guy who checked out the condition of the car and test drove it twice before purchasing. The car was in good working condition and the only thing that really needed to be done was having the ac recharged. Now after having the car for a week the guy is claiming there are all these things wrong with it and he wants his money back or he will press charges. He says there is a law that states he has 2 weeks to return the car if he is not satisfied. Is there such thing? I know of the Lemon Law and from what I understood it protects from dealerships and newer cars with warranties and such. Please let me know what you think and if you have heard of anything like this. As far as I know, when you purchase a car from a private seller it is on the understanding that the car is sold 'as-is' and cannot be returned or refunded.
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Mar 25, 2007, 01:25 PM
    I don't think he will have a leg to stand on. He is probably a con artist who just wanted a car for a couple for weeks and then returned it. Its his problem not yours, he was happy at purchase after having ample time to test drive it.
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Mar 25, 2007, 01:34 PM
    Next time you hear from him just give him the phone # of the small claims court.
    When you buy used from a individual its as it no warranty.-- Savage
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Mar 25, 2007, 02:13 PM
    There is no automatic "understanding" in law that a car sold between two private individuals is sold on an "as is" basis. This would interfere with parties freedom to contract.

What governs the relationship between you and the buyer is the contract that was negotiated between you which in turn is subject to the laws of the jurisdiction you reside in.

Ideally you have a written contract stating that the car was sold "as is" and no representations or warranties were made with respect to the vehicle. If so, the buyer may have no recourse in law.

If you don't have a written contract then it could become a case of your word against the buyers. The buyer could, among other things, allege you misrepresented the condition and history of the vehicle and if a court accepted such an argument you may have to provide some kind of refund.

As for the two week "cooling-off" period that the buyer is alleging we are unaware of any North American jurisdiction having such a law with resepct to automobile purchases.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 25, 2007, 03:52 PM
    I will agree if and when you sold the car on the bill of sale ( and you had to provide him abill of sale) it had to say on it, sold as is. If not there can be implied warranties that a buyer may expect from things you said, but if and when the bill of sale states "as is" then the written document over rides any verbal agreement prior to the signing.

Also in most states there is a legal requirement that all car sales be done in writing, so a bill of sale stating the seller and buyer and the terms of the sale are required.

There is no such thing as a two week requirement that I know of anywhere, but there is basic car sale laws as to a used car.

But I will agree, I would tell them all sales final, no refund and not to call you back, Buyers remorse is often done on used cars, or they do find more wrong latter. I sold one truck, that I really drove everday for 3 years, a person bought it, and the transmission went out on the way home for them, and I told them sorry, it was as is, I really did not know anything was wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Leak / Seller failed to disclose [ 1 Answers ]

I have owned my home for 11months. The basement has leaked 4x's and the seller failed to disclose any type of basement seepage/problems such as the ones I have (pools of water in my basement coming from the ground). However, the seller did disclose that a trickle of water comes from the rear...

Private Seller - Bad Purchase [ 9 Answers ]

Hi - bought a 1993 car from a private seller in SC... the ad stated that ac was included in the car. When my husband tried it, only warm air came out. The seller assured him it worked and maybe a wire was loose. We spent $200 for the mechanic to tell us that the compressor makes noise, no...

Seller of vehicle lied! [ 5 Answers ]

I need a bit of advice and was wondering if anyone else has ever had this happen to them. My husband, very eager to find an older Nissan Pathfinder in decent shape, with decent milage. Well, he thought he found one, we drove 3 1/2 hours one way in a horrible snowstorm to look at the vehicle. ...

Plumbing issues -seller had to know! [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I purchased our first home in Indianapolis, In in May of this year (2005). After living there for 3 weeks, water from the shower and washer started backing up on the basement floor from the drain. Called a plumber, he came out and pulled massive amounts of roots from main sewer line...

View more questions Search