Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    forwo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2013, 11:23 PM
    Adult adoption
    I am an 22 year old female and due to an marriage disagreements I've been living separately from my mother and had cut all contacts.
    Recently I've been in contact with my sisters and apparently my mother is planning to get re-married.
    My worry was if it's possible for this man to adopt me with out my permission since I am an adult? Or would my mother have the right to have him adopt me?
    They live in Nevada but I live in a different state, how would this also work in state law?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 9, 2013, 12:41 AM
    You are an ADULT and as such adoption is not a viable option.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 9, 2013, 01:08 AM
    No, they can not "adopt" you without your knowledge or permission.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 9, 2013, 09:07 AM
    ... They live in Nevada but I live in a different state, how would this also work in state law?
    Usually it would be important to know what that "different state" is. Adoption would be governed by the law of the state in which the adoptee (you) resides, not where the adoptive parent lives.

However, in this case, I can agree with Fr_Chuck and categorically assure you that an adoption without your consent isn't going to happen.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can an adult be subpoena for dna testing on an adult child [ 1 Answers ]

Can an adult be subpoena for dna testing on an aduld child?

Is there a way in PA to do an adult adoption without a lawyer? [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to adopt my 19 year old nephew. Can I do this in PA without an attorney? I heard it's expensive. Can I just fill out some paperwork and file at the local courthouse?

Adult adoption [ 1 Answers ]

I wish to adopt by adult step daughter. I have been divorced from her mother for over ten years and the father named on the certificate has not been involved in any way since around 1983. Can I do this? My daughter wants this very much as she wants to be legally part of my family. If...

Adult Adoption in North Carolina and the benefits [ 4 Answers ]

I have only lived in North Carolina for about three years and I must say that this state has some strange laws. However I have heard that if an adult adopts another adult then the estate of either adult is left to the other in time of death. Provided that the will states that. It is my...

Adult Child Given Up for Adoption wants contact with supposed biological father [ 8 Answers ]

Here's the story. My husband may have fathered a daughter before we ever met. He was not named on the birth certificate and the biological mother had relations with other men during the same time frame. The girl was legally adopted by another married couple. She made contact with the birth...

View more questions Search