Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Adi1985 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2013, 11:06 PM
    Tiny red spots with itching
    I have a very unusual problem. Over the past two weeks, I have very tiny red spots appear with intense itching. The spots appear only minutes before itching start and taking anti-histamines makes those spots go away within 2-3 hours. They appear on the inner thighs, arms and upper chest area. The itching also occurs on the stomach sides and neck and ears, but I don't see any spots on the stomach sides. I do scratch gently, but that much is enough to pull the hair follicle out. Most of the red spots seems to be centered around hair follicles, though not all. Only once I had similar severe intense itching on my face, but not afterwards.

Taking a shower does not help it go away as quickly as applying any anti-septic cream. I have tried two different ones, and they help to remove the spots and cool the itching very quickly. But I can't use the cream since the surface area that gets affected is too large. Just as an experiment, I put bleach over a few of those spots and this did not change anything. Nor did other household disinfectants. Sometimes I think I have something crawling over my body, but I feel that is more in my head, though I want to mention that fact.

Somehow getting into bed seems to slightly help. Between the two time intervals this itch occurred (inbetween two doses of anti-histamines), I stayed completely at home except go out for extremely short duration. I touched very few items and washed my hands like crazy always. Still the itching started back again. My palms and foot are never affected, neither is my back, nor certain sections of my arms or back of neck. I never have itching anywhere in the folds of my elbows or knees or in my private area.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2013, 04:33 AM
    That is what appears to be an alergic reaction to something... what has changed... new soap or laundry detergent? You might have to go to an Alergist to be tested to find what you are allergic to.

Jul 9, 2013, 01:50 PM
    I have not changed anything. Not the soap, not laundry detergent, nothing. My diet
    Has also remained unchanged. I have tried to be very careful of late regarding everything that I eat or touch. I also suspected an allergy reaction and I was trying to find out what I came in contact with before the itching started.

The only thing I can think of is a cream that I have been using on my face for the past 2 months. I had an injury and this cream is used to heal the bruises. I do notice slight itching around the area I apply the cream to, but nothing substantial. Could this cream be the cause of my problem? If so how does it not affect where I apply the cream, but affect other areas of my body.
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2013, 01:55 PM
    Its always possible... but the reaction doesn't always show up at the point of contact. Sometimes it does... but not always.

Jul 9, 2013, 01:58 PM
    Thanks for your reply. Do you think I need to go see my doctor at the earliest? I am waiting for the anti-histamines to wear off so that I can show the doctor those red itchy spots...
    Do you think these could be caused by any other insect or bug?
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2013, 02:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Adi1985 View Post
    Thanks for your reply. Do you think I need to go see my doctor at the earliest? I am waiting for the anti-histamines to wear off so that I can show the doctor those red itchy spots...
    Do you think these could be caused by any other insect or bug?
    I'd do it whenever you can get an appointment...

UNLESS... and this is important... you suddenly start breaking out all over... or getting hives... anything obviously progressing worse than now... in which case I would suggest going to the emergency room immediately. I've been in that situation a few times before.

But as long as this all the worse it is... the next soonest appointment you can get should be fine.

Jul 9, 2013, 02:07 PM
    Thanks for your suggestion. I am now taking anti-histamines. I will wait for the next break out and go to the doctor immediately so that they can have a look at the reaction. Somehow things have gotten progressively worse, but not too bad too quickly. I am still trying to assess how worse has it got since the beginning, and it is too small a change to make out.

In case this gets resolved, I shall post more about my problem here.
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2013, 02:09 PM
    Tiny slow changes over days isn't a huge concern... rapid changes over a matter of minutes or even hours is. So if it does happen take notice. But odds are you won't have that happen.

A severe allergic reaction can be life threatening... and not something to treat lightly. When one comes on its likely to happen quickly. And from personal experience... become systemic meaning total body involvement. But I've heard in rare cases there might not be significant symptoms before it sets in as described and have experienced myself.

http://firstaid.webmd.com/severe-all...hylactic-shock

Jul 9, 2013, 03:43 PM
    May I ask what was your specific allergic reaction and how you were able to deal with it?
    Are you completely cured now? (I mean lead a life without symptoms.)
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2013, 04:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Adi1985 View Post
    May I ask what was your specific allergic reaction and how you were able to deal with it?
    Are you completely cured now? (I mean lead a life without symptoms.)
    Mine... I suddenly developed a SEVERE allergy to wasp venom as a teen. In 25 minutes the first time I had a reaction I was in full blown shock.. and wouldn't have gotten to a doctor in time if my neighbor wasn't a RN that recognized it. Barely made it as it was.

Went through desensitization shots and they worked. Haven't had an issue in over 25 years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tiny red spots on skin [ 35 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I don't know if I have just noticed these or if they have just appeared but nonetheless I am stressed out over them. They look like someone took a tiny tiny pin and place little dots on my skin. They are hard to see unless you are pretty close the area. They are not raised and...

Itching, swollen tiny blisters that look like poison ivy [ 0 Answers ]

This came up on my foreskin on ny scrotum yesterday and I'm not sure what it is.

Tiny red non raised itchy spots all over body [ 2 Answers ]

I am expierencing several small (pinpoint) red non raised from the skin dots all over my Arms, stomach, chest, hips, and thighs (inner and outer). I have no idea why this is happening, I have not tried anything different and I have not switched soaps, cleansers, purfumes, sprays, etc. These...

Tiny red spots on top of right foot [ 0 Answers ]

After being in the hospital for a pneumonectomy I found hundreds of tiny raised red spots on top of my right foot. They neither hurt nor itched. It is now 7 years later. They are diminishing in number and are almost gone. What were they?

View more questions Search