Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kave Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2003, 02:07 PM
    Which Cigars are the Best?
    Hi :
    I want to smoke cigaret which cigar is best?
    viking Posts: 131, Reputation: 7

Jun 9, 2004, 10:14 AM
    Re: a question
    Cuban cigars are thought to be the best. You can not get them legally in the US due to restrictions on imports from Cuba. However, You can find them in Mexico - lookout for bogus Cuban cigars.

A particular brand that is well thought of is a Partagas Piramides Edicion Limitada which costs about $24 per cigar.

Happy Smoking!
    xoTHEMANox Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2004, 03:54 PM
    Re: a question
    Yea man what viking said is pretty good I like to smoke romeo and julieta they're real nice flavor and fresh out of havana, cuba don't smoke cigarrettes no taste screw you up BAD+ don't klnow the price of the se cigars though somebody reply to me
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Jul 8, 2005, 05:24 AM
    Don't start
    You think you want to smoke, but you really don't. I started smoking when I was 12 and smokes cost 79 cents a pack. I am now 39 and they are $6.00 a pack creeping up on $7.00. If you think about it, that's more than minimum wage. A 3 pack a day habit is $21.00 a day. What does that cost a year? I have a $100 a week habit or about $5100.00 a year. It is next to impossible to quit. Not to mention all of the health risked that are involved. I know they will never happen to you because you are young and know better. Well now I am older and I do know better and still can not quit. Save your money and your health and pick another dirty habit. Maybe picking your nose, :eek: I don't know just don't start.
    dancer1 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2005, 08:56 PM
    Question...
    Lilfrye-

I use to work at a Vet hospital and trully hated it, and was very unhappy for multiple reasons, and had crying spells quite a bit, depression off and on, and had a few ciagrettes here and there. I was able to quit that job and move on to better things and a new job-which is the best job I've had. The last ciagrette I had was appox. Mid march--but I still crave them in those unhappy moments... is that bad?

Thanks
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Jul 20, 2005, 09:18 PM
    dancer1

I have yet to quit, my husband quit about five years ago. He to this day he still craves a good smoke. I try and try. Sometimes I do well other times a fail and start smoking again. When it gets too much for my husband he goes for a walk with the dog, a bike ride, or takes a trip to Wawa for a cup of coffee, gum, or a cup cake anything but a smoke. It is okay to crave. Smoking is like any addiction, you are always an addicted. That is why they say an alcoholic is a recovering alcoholic you never get past it. You just have to be stronger and not give in to the craving and turn it over to a higher power. I just wish I could follow the advice I hand out to my husband.
    erichss Posts: 36, Reputation: 2

Jul 28, 2005, 10:22 PM
    You want to smoke, that is totally your choice, you can't let people try to tell you what to do.
    As far as trying different cigars, you got to just try some. Each people have different taste.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2005, 08:38 PM
    If you're going to smoke a cigar and don't know where to begin, go to a good cigar shop and ask for help. Ask them to help you select a few modestly priced cigars ranging from mild to bold, and tell them you don't know left from right. Any good owner will help you.

As for the addiction, don't know what to tell you. I might smoke 6 cigars a year. I like them. Don't always like the way they make me feel the next day... but that's also because I almost only smoke a cigar out with friends drinking. I could never smoke them again and be fine. Not everyone is so lucky.
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Jan 3, 2006, 09:39 PM
    Which end & How do you light up a Cigar?
    :o

Ok, I never smoked Cigar and just got a few for a X-mas gift. I want to give it a try so I can say I've done it.

Which end do I cut and light up? My cigars came with one close end which I assume needs to be cut.

I did a bit of research and have some idea how to light it up - blow out, light it up rotating the cigar, don't inhale,. Am I on the right track?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2006, 05:21 AM
    Smoking
    Hi,
    Take this from a many years smoker; don't start.
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Jan 4, 2006, 08:00 AM
    Yes do not start. I am a can. I have seen the very bad effect smoking has on people and its very tragic. Rkim I hate to encourage you but that sounds about right. I don't know about the cutting thing but I have seen people bite a little of that end off and then spit it out. I would ask someone who knows about them first though. There is a first time for everything. You're not supposed to enhale? Uh oh.
    augustknight Posts: 83, Reputation: 31

Jan 8, 2006, 09:49 AM
    I enjoy cigars
    Yes I said it! I'm sorry if you don't like it but it is my choice. As for the technical part of smoking a cigar I will answer. It certainly does make a difference as to which end to light. The cigar is hand rolled in a spiral so the tender part of the leaf is foremost. To cut a cigar you will need a cutter. There are many types, even some that just bore a hole. You only need a 'guillotine' type cutter which is available at a cigar shop for a few dollars. If you cut with a knife or scissors you will blunt the end and may affect the draw.
    After the cut, take the cigar and point in towards the floor. With a flame from a butane lighter char the end completely being careful not to hold the flame directly on the cigar. This ensures that the cigar will burn evenly. Now with the cigar in your mouth, hold the flame so it is not directly touching the cigar and draw in. Really light it up, keep the flame on it longer than you would a cigarette. Just draw enough to have the smoke enter your mouth. Don't force it. A cigar should be smoked in a leisurely manner. It is to be enjoyed, not a quick smoke. The draw will become easier as the cigar gets smaller. It is perfectly OK to let a cigar go out, just knock off the old ash and relight by holding a flame to the cigar, you won't even have to draw.
    By the way, a good cigar of high quality for a beginner is Griffin or Avo. Both are mild. Your cigar seller will be very helpful in making a choice as long as you give her/him your preferences.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 8, 2006, 10:38 AM
    Smoke
    I will give you all the same warnings, if you don't smoke, don't start.

If you do quit

Now if you have to smoke, just have to, a cigar two or three times a week is a lot better than 3 packs a day.

First what can you afford, if you can afford 100 a cigar, you will get a lot better quality than a 50 cent cigar.

If you want cheap but OK, try the Thompson Cigar company, you can order assortment boxes over the internet.

If you want real quality visit a local cigar shop they will be trained to guide you in your taste.

And that is another factor, everyone has their own taste, what is your favorite may not be mine.

And yes, having lived in Mexico and Columbia before, a Cuban can not be beat but of course is illegal here in the US. There are a lot of good local cigars from Columbia that are good. Now sure how their import laws are now, since I quit smoking all together a few years ago
    erichss Posts: 36, Reputation: 2

Jan 8, 2006, 11:26 AM
    I still say, if you want to smoke then it's your choice. Don't let other people try to tell you to either don't start or to start.
    That's the beauty of freedom, it' syour choice if you want to start smoking or not.
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Jan 8, 2006, 11:22 PM
    Ok, I tried it. Thanks for those of you with various suggestions, including the ones who said "don't start." :) Smoking cigar was not such a pleasurable experience. Either the Cigar I smoked was a cheap one or smoking Cigar isn't just my thing. :o
    stemics Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2006, 12:43 AM
    Cuban rejects $1.99 fantastico.
    Hypatia Posts: 163, Reputation: 27

Feb 16, 2006, 12:53 AM
    Cohiba. Smooth, rich, lovely. Of course it must be coupled with a dirty martini - extra dirty and a redhead in a red dress. For a nice cig try Nat Shermans. Women love the Fantasia's while men tend to like Black & Gold's.

Hypatia
    Expert

Feb 16, 2006, 08:12 AM
    Smoking is a acquired taste, breathing smoke into your lungs and cutting out part of the needed O2 takes getting use to.

And of course as a person who deals daily with people on O2 machines to help them breath for various lung problems, it is sad when I see them take a puff of their breathing machine, take the hose off their head to take a smoke.

But I will agree a few cigars a month most likely will not harm you that much. But if you don't like it, then don't.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2006, 08:21 AM
    I smoke a cigar occasionally. I've smoked Cubans (legally; in Canada) and found them way too harsh.

I like mild; my favorite being Butera.
    Expert

Feb 16, 2006, 08:23 AM
    Cubans are legal in Canada??

I see a road trip in my future.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search