Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joe1317 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2013, 05:10 PM
    John Deere LT160 Running rough after warming up
    Mower runs great and cuts fine for about 10 minutes but then starts running very rough with or without deck engaged. It will continue to return to normal without any load... cutting deck or moving. I have replaced fuel filter, fuel line, fuel, spark plug, pulled flywheel and shear pin was perfect... Any ideas??

Joe

Jul 7, 2013, 07:34 AM
    Seems like electronic component breaking down once it gets hot?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2013, 07:45 AM
    This might be an issue, and might not be. Do you use Premium gas?
    I have 2 riding mowers, 2 weedeaters, a chainsaw, and leaf blower, and mow for others.
    Four years ago, I stopped using Regular gas, on the advice of my Small Engine repairman!
    I haven't had a carburator problem since using Premium... costs a few cents more, but is well worth it. Good luck. Regular gas has many, many more impurites in it than just 10 years ago.

Jul 7, 2013, 11:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    This might be an issue, and might not be. Do you use Premium gas??
    I have 2 riding mowers, 2 weedeaters, a chainsaw, and leaf blower, and mow for others.
    Four years ago, I stopped using Regular gas, on the advice of my Small Engine repairman!!
    I haven't had a carburator problem since using Premium....costs a few cents more, but is well worth it. Good luck. Regular gas has many, many more impurites in it than just 10 years ago.
    No, unfortunately one can for all of my engines... 87% with Ethanol... haven't had problems before. Should I add a "boost"?

Jul 8, 2013, 07:47 AM
    Will always use Premium without Ethanol going forward!

Drained tank and refueled but still same issue... any other ideas on the electrical side?

Jul 10, 2013, 02:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1317 View Post
    Will always use Premium without Ethanol going forward!!

Drained tank and refueled but still same issue... any other ideas on the electrical side??
    Still looking for answers... anyone?
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2013, 02:05 PM
    High octane is worse on the engine,any good small engine mechanic should know this,
    .check your gas cap make sure its venting.

Jul 13, 2013, 05:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    high octane is worse on the engine,any good small engine mechanic should know this,
    Now THAT would be a simple fix! I'll definitely try that tomorrow

Jul 14, 2013, 12:08 PM
    Tried the gas cap... not that. Looked into the carb next... I removed the air cleaner and found that I had some oil blowing back through the head into the carb causing it to run rough (even though only apparent under load".

So why do I have oil blowing back from the engine?

Jul 14, 2013, 12:09 PM
    high octane is worse on the engine,any good small engine mechanic should know this,
    Tried the gas cap... not that. Looked into the carb next... I removed the air cleaner and found that I had some oil blowing back through the head into the carb causing it to run rough (even though only apparent under load".

So why do I have oil blowing back from the engine?
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2013, 05:49 PM
    Check engine oil ,and make sure it doesn't have gas in crank case ,or over full.
    Could be needle and seat in carb.

Jul 20, 2013, 06:56 PM
    check engine oil ,and make sure it doesn't have gas in crank case ,or over full.
    could be needle and seat in carb.
    Okay... gas in the oil... what causes that? Noticed the oil vary very thin...
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2013, 09:00 PM
    Need to clean the carb , maybe replace needle and seat.
    Gas is running through the carb into crankcase.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

John Deere LT160 lawn tractor [ 8 Answers ]

My lawn tractor (LT)will not start. When it is on choke it just acts like it is not getting fuel. When on run when I try to start it it backfires and will not start. I checked the fuel filter, chenaged the spark plug, made sure the carborator was not clogged cleaned out the carborator bowl. The...

Removing deck on a lt160 john deere [ 1 Answers ]

How to remove the mower deck on a lt160 john deere

John Deere LT160 [ 0 Answers ]

Tractors starts and idels fine. When I engage the blades it runs uneven and sounds like it wants to stall. The blades are not at 90 degees and turn freely. Any advice greatly appreciated.

John Deere LT160 not charging [ 1 Answers ]

Re John Deere LT 160 with Kohler engine. Is there an alternator ? Where is it? My lawn tractor does not charge the battery.

John Deere LT160 broken spring [ 1 Answers ]

A spring broke underneath my John Deere LT160 mower. It fell underneath the mower and it's not clear where it came from. Now ithe mower won't go forward or backward. Seems like the brake is stuck on. Can you tell me what the name or part number is of this spring and where it goes.

View more questions Search