Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Claumia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2013, 10:48 AM
    International business inheritance
    My parents have plans to leave my sisters and me a business consisting of several commercial properties which are located in El Salvador. We are US citizens and want to know what are the tax and legal implications once we inherit this business. Any advise or information you can provide is much appreciated.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 6, 2013, 05:47 PM
    For U.S. Citizens, ALL workd-wide income is subject to U.S. income taxes and, since it is a business, self-employnent taxes. You can mitigate the taxes with the Foreign Tax Credit.

Email me for more detail.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jul 14, 2013, 11:20 PM
    1. There is no tax on inheritances.
    2. If you parents are not U.S. citizen or resident, their estate is not taxable in U.S.
    3. Yes, after you inherit the property and business, you must report your worldwide income on your tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

International inheritance [ 2 Answers ]

We have a large sum of money coming as an inheritance from a relative who passed away while living and working abroad. Please advise how this will be handled once the electronic transfer of the funds is made to our account here in the United States. Will this inheritance be subject to tax or do...

International inheritance [ 1 Answers ]

I was contacted by an attorney from Africa. He believes that I may be the descendant of a family that uses my same sir name. Do I have to prove that I am? If he processes this inheritance and I receive the money, what does the US government require from me? What if the attorney is wrong? Am I held...

International Inheritance [ 6 Answers ]

I am a citizen of the US filing taxes every year. My father passed away recently and I have received an inheritance from him. He was an Indian citizen and the inheritance is in India. According to the govt. of India rules, I can transmit the amount to the US by EFT after paying the reqd. taxes. ...

View more questions Search