Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asf79 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2013, 07:23 PM
    RSU (restricted stock units) and NRA (non-resident alien)
    Hi folks,

I'm non-resident alien (NRA) working abroad for US company.
    Recently my restricted stock units (RSU) have vested, and some of them have been "sold to cover" the tax.

May I know that -- as a NRA, can I claim a refund for those sold shares through "personal exemption" using form 1040NR?

Thank you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 6, 2013, 04:15 AM
    I have handled several cases similar to yours. Assuming the RSUs were earned while working INSIDE the United States, you owe taxes which can be reconciled by reporting the taxes using Form 1040nr and claiming your personal exemption.

If, however, the RSUs were earned while working overseas, then NO tax is due. You would only need to show, using Form 8833, that the RSUs were earned during that overseas work period.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 6, 2013, 04:16 AM
    If you wish my professional help to file this return, email at the address in my profile.
    asf79 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2013, 04:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    I have handled several cases similar to yours. Assuming the RSUs were earned while working INSIDE the United States, you owe taxes which can be reconciled by reporting the taxes using Form 1040nr and claiming your personal exemption.

If, however, the RSUs were earned while working overseas, then NO tax is due. You would only need to show, using Form 8833, that the RSUs were earned during that overseas work period.
    I work overseas -- when you say "no tax is due", does it mean that I don't have to pay any tax? In that case, why was 26% of my shares sold to cover, by the US broker?

Thank you.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 6, 2013, 05:44 PM
    If the RSU was earned while you overseas, you should have completed Form W-8ben to let the broker know you are not liable for U.S. income taxes.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 7, 2013, 04:10 AM
    With no Form W-8ben on file, the broker is required by law to withhold taxes, which necessitated the need to sell shares to generate the needed cash.
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Jul 8, 2013, 07:19 AM
    You would need to file a tax return to get a refund for those withholdings and make sure to provide the form w8Ben to your broker as soon as possible (if you still hold those RSUs).
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 8, 2013, 07:50 AM
    Yes, if you have other RSUs which have been earned while working overseas, heed taxforaliens' advice about the Form W-8ben.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question on Restricted Stock Units [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I have 7 restricted stock units given to me by employer on June 2011.These shares paid a dividend of 10.25$.I am not allowed to sell these stocks until December 2015. Do I need to report the dividend income on the stocks on my tax return?

Restricted stock units [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have some RSU (restricted stock units) but I didn't sell them. They "are" in the US. Do I have to report them somewhere like a report of financial asset (while doing my tax return)? Thanks

Joint tax return non-alien resident and alien resident with form 1042s [ 3 Answers ]

Hi My wife is an alien resident, but we just got married, so I am still a non-alien resident. We are intending to fill out joint tax return as alien residents. But my problem is I have both w-2 and 1042s forms. The 1042s reflects my income from a fellowship which has been taxed each month. The...

Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) [ 1 Answers ]

I am filing a return for someone who received Restricted Stock Units (RSU's) from their employer. The RSU's were taxed at the time they vested, and were "sold to cover." The RSU value at vesting is included on her W-2 as income in Box 1 ($9,000). She also received a 1099-B from her investment...

Can I Jointly file tax return with spouse (resident alien & non resident alien) [ 1 Answers ]

I am in H1B worked in two different states in 2008 01Jan08 - 25Feb08 - Texas 05May08 - 13Aug08 - Texas 14Aug08 - 31Dec08- Illinois Note: march-April in India Spouse moved to US on 24 Oct 2008 in H1B got SSN in nov and doesn't have W2 for 2008 1. As per substantial presence test myself...

View more questions Search