Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RatMama20 Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Jul 4, 2013, 01:39 PM
    Rat has bump on his belly close to his penis
    Back again with another rat related question.
    I was just holding my rat and decided to check out his nails to see if I needed to clip them better and I noticed a relatively large bump on his underside in between his leg and penis... Does anyone have an idea of what it could be? My instinct says tumor, and I'm really hoping its not, so I want an opinion before I take him in. (I will take him in regardless).
    This rat is like a child to me and I would appreciate if people gave respectful answers even if this is a dumb question... thank you all.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 4, 2013, 01:55 PM
    We can only guess. My first thought is a tumor as well, but cysts are very common in rats, and often benign.

What type of rat do you have?

If I had to guess, I'd go with a cyst. Dirt, oils, and other things, can cause cysts in rats. If your rats bedding is a towel, not actual rat bedding, it's very possible that this is a cyst caused by not having clean bedding.

Is the lump rock hard, or can you feel fluid in it?

Is the lump on the surface of the skin?

Either way, you'll need to see your vet. I can guess, and I'd guess cyst. But that's really only a guess, and it's a guess based on very little info. .

Jul 4, 2013, 02:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    We can only guess. My first thought is a tumor as well, but cysts are very common in rats, and often benign.

What type of rat do you have?

If I had to guess, I'd go with a cyst. Dirt, oils, and other things, can cause cysts in rats. If your rats bedding is a towel, not actual rat bedding, it's very possible that this is a cyst caused by not having clean bedding.

Is the lump rock hard, or can you feel fluid in it?

Is the lump on the surface of the skin?

Either way, you'll need to see your vet. I can guess, and I'd guess cyst. But that's really only a guess, and it's a guess based on very little info. .
    He is a large fancy rat. I change out the blankets and the towel underneath every week to two weeks. The lump is very firm but not rock hard and its under his skin. When my husband gets paid this week we are going to take him in. Thanks
    Pets Expert

Jul 4, 2013, 02:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RatMama20 View Post
    He is a large fancy rat. I change out the blankets and the towel underneath every week to two weeks. The lump is very firm but not rock hard and its under his skin. When my husband gets paid this week we are gonna take him in. Thanks
    If it's under the skin, and rock hard, that sounds like a tumor. That's just a guess, based on your observation of the bump.

You only change the towels every week or two weeks? I don't want to be harsh, but I have 4 rabbits, also considered exotic pets like rats. They have wood bedding, wood chips, and I clean their cages daily, removing the urine and feces. I do a complete clean (removing all bedding and replacing it with new) every week. If you're using towels and blankets, you need to change that bedding every single day, not once a week, or every two weeks.

Dirty bedding can cause cysts, especially in rats. I can't say for sure that it's a tumor, I can only guess based on what you posted. But now that you stated you only change the towels and blankets weekly, or biweekly, that's not good, and does indicate a possible cyst. Again, that's just a guess, I can't diagnose online.

A trip to the vet is definitely in order. Do you have a vet in your area that specializes in rats? Vets usually specialize. Exotic animals, like rats, need a vet that specializes in their care, because their care is unique. You can't go to a vet that only handles the norm, like cats and dogs. You need to find a vet that knows rats.

Jul 4, 2013, 02:22 PM
    If it's under the skin, and rock hard, that sounds like a tumor. That's just a guess, based on your observation of the bump.

You only change the towels every week or two weeks? I don't want to be harsh, but I have 4 rabbits, also considered exotic pets like rats. They have wood bedding, wood chips, and I clean their cages daily, removing the urine and feces. I do a complete clean (removing all bedding and replacing it with new) every week. If you're using towels and blankets, you need to change that bedding every single day, not once a week, or every two weeks.

Dirty bedding can cause cysts, especially in rats. I can't say for sure that it's a tumor, I can only guess based on what you posted. But now that you stated you only change the towels and blankets weekly, or biweekly, that's not good, and does indicate a possible cyst. Again, that's just a guess, I can't diagnose online.

A trip to the vet is definitely in order. Do you have a vet in your area that specializes in rats? Vets usually specialize. Exotic animals, like rats, need a vet that specializes in their care, because their care is very unique. You can't go to a vet that only handles the norm, like cats and dogs. You need to find a vet that knows rats.
    Yes there is a vet in my city that handles exotic pets. And honestly, I don't mean to sound harsh, but I also have rabbits, and when rabbits are compared to rats, especially my rats, there is a 95% cleaner environment that they keep on their own. Rats are very clean animals, that is why I have them. So based on my experiences with both rodents, rabbits and rats are completely different. My rats keep their poop in a specific area, and there is a towel underneath to soak up the urine. I learned this method from a reliable source and so far that is what has worked for me. Thank you again
    Pets Expert

Jul 4, 2013, 02:39 PM
    Yes there is a vet in my city that handles exotic pets. And honestly, I don't mean to sound harsh, but i also have rabbits, and when rabbits are compared to rats, especially my rats, there is a 95% cleaner environment that they keep on their own. Rats are very clean animals, that is why i have them. So based on my experiences with both rodents, rabbits and rats are completely different. My rats keep their poop in a specific area, and there is a towel underneath to soak up the urine. I learned this method from a reliable source and so far that is what has worked for me. Thank you again
    I can honestly say I've never had rats, they're not allowed where I live. I have had rodents, still do. I also have rabbits, 4 of them now, but I've had them all my life. Rabbits aren't rodents. If you don't know that, then I question any authority you claim to have about their care, of that of your rats. That sounds harsh, but I don't mean it to be. Fact is, you stated that rabbits are rodents. They're not. That means you know nothing about rabbits or rats for that matter.

Rats are rodents, so are mice, hamsters, gerbils, etc. I've had all but rats, only because I cannot legally own rats where I live. My vet specializes in exotics. Using blankets and towels for bedding, is asking for health issues, especially if the bedding is only cleaned weekly or bi-weekly. Your rats have had nothing but health issues, nails ripped out, and now lumps. It's really past time to realize that you're not caring for them properly with the towels and blankets.

Again, I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but I really can't help you if you refuse to properly care for your pets.

Good luck.

Jul 4, 2013, 02:51 PM
    I can honestly say I've never had rats, they're not allowed where I live. I have had rodents, still do. I also have rabbits, 4 of them now, but I've had them all my life. Rabbits aren't rodents. If you don't know that, then I question any authority you claim to have about their care, of that of your rats. That sounds harsh, but I don't mean it to be. Fact is, you stated that rabbits are rodents. They're not. That means you know nothing about rabbits or rats for that matter.

Rats are rodents, so are mice, hamsters, gerbils, etc. I've had all but rats, only because I cannot legally own rats where I live. My vet specializes in exotics. Using blankets and towels for bedding, is asking for health issues, especially if the bedding is only cleaned weekly or bi-weekly. Your rats have had nothing but health issues, nails ripped out, and now lumps. It's really past time to realize that you're not caring for them properly with the towels and blankets.

Again, I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but I really can't help you if you refuse to properly care for your pets.

Good luck.
    I don't see how calling a rabbit a rodent makes me uneducated in the care for my rats? The first time the nail got torn was not while he was in his cage. The second time may have happened while my two were playing over night. DO NOT say I don't care for them properly, this is like me saying you don't care for your children properly. If you think you are being harsh, which you are, then feel free not to answer my questions. Im going through a hard time with this, because as I have said, these rats are like my children. I am taking my rat to the vet at the end of the week. Thank you for your input. If you have anything else to say about me not caring for them properly, do not answer. I came here to get answers, not criticism, or your idea of "blunt honesty".
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Jul 4, 2013, 02:59 PM
    I just wanted to chime in and let you know that the experts here are knowledgeable and care about animals. They give honest and factual advice, sometimes it comes across as being mean, but they don't mean it that way. They want the best for the animals.
    I have been on the receiving end of it before (and rightly so for what I had done). I ignored the advice about full rest for my pup when he had a limp. I did end up making it come back. The vet confirmed what I had been told.
    Please read the advice with an open mind and learn what they are trying to teach you. It is a win win for you and your loved one (the rat in this case). You say you are going to take your rat to the vet, maybe check out the advice and confirm it with your vet.
    I am thinking good thoughts for your little one.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2013, 03:02 PM
    When I first read this I thought it could be anything from a cyst to a tumor.

Jul 4, 2013, 03:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrann View Post
    I just wanted to chime in and let you know that the experts here are knowledgeable and care about animals. They give honest and factual advice, sometimes it comes across as being mean, but they don't mean it that way. They want the best for the animals.
    I have been on the receiving end of it before (and rightly so for what I had done). I ignored the advice about full rest for my pup when he had a limp. I did end up making it come back. The vet confirmed what I had been told.
    Please read the advice with an open mind and learn what they are trying to teach you. It is a win win for you and your loved one (the rat in this case). You say you are going to take your rat to the vet, maybe check out the advice and confirm it with your vet.
    I am thinking good thoughts for your little one.
    Thank you. I understand you are all here to help, but saying that because I called rabbits rodents makes me a bad caretaker? Um... What? Anyway, I love that rat to death, he's extremely special to me, so I can only hope that its something benign. Thank you for the positive feedback.
    Pets Expert

Jul 4, 2013, 03:05 PM
    I dont see how calling a rabbit a rodent makes me uneducated in the care for my rats? The first time the nail got torn was not while he was in his cage. The second time may have happened while my two were playing over night. DO NOT say i dont care for them properly, this is like me saying you dont care for your children properly. If you think you are being harsh, which you are, then feel free not to answer my questions. Im going through a hard time with this, because as i have said, these rats are like my children. I am taking my rat to the vet at the end of the week. Thank you for your input. If you have anything else to say about me not caring for them properly, do not answer. I came here to get answers, not criticism, or your idea of "blunt honesty".
    I answered your question. You don't want to hear the truth.

When you stated that you've owned rabbits, and know how to care for both them and rats, and stated they're both rodents, that's when I knew you didn't have the knowledge to care for either.

Rabbits aren't rodents. The very fact that you stated they are, shows me how little you know about their care. The fact that you're using blankets and towels as bedding for your rats, and you're only changing that bedding every week or two weeks, tells me even more about your lack of knowledge.

I'm not saying that you're a bad rat owner. I'm saying that you haven't educated yourself enough about their care. I'm trying to tell you how to care for them properly, but you don't seem to want to listen. I told you about not using towels and blankets in your last thread. Obviously you didn't take that advice, and now one of your rats has a lump, likely caused because of the dirt and feces it's forced to live in because it doesn't have the proper bedding.

Until you put your pride aside and listen to someone that actually knows how to care for these types of animals, you'll continue to have problems.

Right now, I can only wish you good luck. I don't wish to argue with anyone. If you're unwilling to listen to logic, reason, and knowledge about these types of animals, there's really nothing I can do to help you.

Good luck. I hope that everything works out okay.

Jul 4, 2013, 03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    when I first read this I thought it could be anything from a cyst to a tumor.
    Yeah, thank you. It doesn't really seem to bother him besides lately I have noticed his energy level decreasing, but he still is a ball of happy when he's awake. Hes got a lot of fight for such a small animal.
    Pets Expert

Jul 4, 2013, 03:11 PM
    Thank you. I understand you are all here to help, but saying that because i called rabbits rodents makes me a bad caretaker? Um... What? Anyway, i love that rat to death, hes extremely special to me, so i can only hope that its something benign. Thank you for the positive feedback.
    I never said that you were a bad caretaker because you didn't know rabbits aren't rodents. I said that it proved that you don't know how to properly care for these animals.

I have no doubt that you love your rat. The only thing that worries me is that you've been told how to properly care for your rats, and you've failed to do so. Improper care will lead to health issues. Improper bedding, a dirty environment (using towels and blankets as bedding, and only changing it every week or two weeks) can lead to cysts. It can also lead to rodents getting their nails caught and tearing them out, another concern of yours.

If you didn't want expert advice, why did you ask? If you can't accept that the care you're giving may be causing these issues, why even bother to post? Did you post because you're afraid these issues are due to what you're doing, and you wanted to hear it's not your fault?

Love isn't enough. Our pets can only thrive if we give love and proper care.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 4, 2013, 04:18 PM
    I tease Alty about her bunnies all the time, but the truth is rabbits and rats are two different families of mammal. I normally try to get rid of rats, but some of their biology will be useful in this discussion.

While rats do tend to keep their feces away from their nest, they mark their territory with urine like most wild mammals. They also secrete oils through their pores to keep their coats healthy. One of the most common signs of rats are the rub marks where these oils rub off on frequently traveled routes.

Only changing their bedding weekly will definitely contribute to cyst formation as the pores become clogged. People get these same cysts and call them "ingrown hairs." Four legged animals do not bathe frequently enough as a rule to wash these clogs out of the pores.

Did Alty overreact to a poor choice of words? Maybe. Are your choices in pet care the cause of health issues in your pets? Possibly.

Getting upset and tossing insults helps no one. Get to the Vet, and look into other types of bedding. I always recommend cedar shavings for pet bedding.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jul 4, 2013, 04:19 PM
    It's likely a tumor. Tumors in pet rats are common. I lost 2 rats over the years to tumors.

That being said... cysts are common as well... and are usually caused by poor conditions. I know you are stuck on this blanket/towel idea but I will tell you again like I did in your last thread, that is not proper bedding for them. There are all sorts of bedding to use. There are wood chips (cedar and pine) all the way up to processed/recycled paper. Blankets would probably be OK if the rats were trained to use a litter box and if you washed them constantly. Once a week or every 2 weeks probably isn't the best way to go.

My rats always had pine or cedar and then strips of cloth for them to make a nest with. Other than the 2 that had tumors, I had healthy and long lived rats with no problems.

But that's just me... what do I know.
    Pets Expert

Jul 4, 2013, 04:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    I tease Alty about her bunnies all the time, but the truth is rabbits and rats are two different families of mammal. I normally try to get rid of rats, but some of their biology will be useful in this discussion.

While rats do tend to keep their feces away from their nest, they mark their territory with urine like most wild mammals. They also secrete oils through their pores to keep their coats healthy. One of the most common signs of rats are the rub marks where these oils rub off on frequently traveled routes.

Only changing their bedding weekly will definitely contribute to cyst formation as the pores become clogged. People get these same cysts and call them "ingrown hairs." Four legged animals do not bathe frequently enough as a rule to wash these clogs out of the pores.

Did Alty overreact to a poor choice of words? Maybe. Are your choices in pet care the cause of health issues in your pets? Quite possibly.

Getting upset and tossing insults helps no one. Get to the Vet, and look into other types of bedding. I always recommend cedar shavings for pet bedding.
    You said it better than I could. I was way too upset to put it into words.

I usually use pine shavings for my rabbits, and my gerbils. I also used them for my hamsters when I had them. I have switched to half pine and half cedar now that I've found someone I trust. Pure cedar worries me because it's very soft wood. It does cause dust if not treated properly for pet use, and the dust can lead to respiratory infections. I found a source I trust, and I've had no issues with half pine and cedar. Besides, cedar smells so nice. :)

But yes, I do think that using towels and blankets, have caused the lump (likely a cyst) in the OP's rat, and also caused the loss of a nail that the OP posted about. The fact that she only changes the towels and blanket weekly or biweekly, disturbed me a lot. I'd bet money that the cause of this lump is due to improper bedding, and improper cleaning.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jul 4, 2013, 05:19 PM
    You said it better than I could. I was way too upset to put it into words.

I usually use pine shavings for my rabbits, and my gerbils. I also used them for my hamsters when I had them. I have switched to half pine and half cedar now that I've found someone I trust. Pure cedar worries me because it's very soft wood. It does cause dust if not treated properly for pet use, and the dust can lead to respiratory infections. I found a source I trust, and I've had no issues with half pine and cedar. Besides, cedar smells so nice. :)

But yes, I do think that using towels and blankets, have caused the lump (likely a cyst) in the OP's rat, and also caused the loss of a nail that the OP posted about. The fact that she only changes the towels and blanket weekly or biweekly, disturbed me a lot. I'd bet money that the cause of this lump is due to improper bedding, and improper cleaning.
    I haven't had rats, but I've had guinea pigs and hamsters. I was told to always use pine or cedar shavings because they are safer and more sanitary than newspaper, blankets, etc. Guinea pigs tend to use corners of their cage to poop/pee. I cleaned the dirty sections daily, replacing the shavings in those areas. The entire cage was scrubbed and cleaned weekly. I can't imagine the odor from urine if I had used a blanket. I'm with Alty on this one. Sanitary conditions can lead to health issues.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 4, 2013, 05:25 PM
    Years ago when I was first married, I had four mice (little rats). They peed everywhere as they walked. Nothing was sacred. They'd climb up my sleeve and pee. They would sit on my shoulder and pee. They would snuggle up in my shirt pocket and pee. I cannot imagine putting a towel or blanket in the cage (not wood shavings) and then not changing it every day. The stench must be overwhelming.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 4, 2013, 06:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Years ago when I was first married, I had four mice (little rats). They peed everywhere as they walked. Nothing was sacred. They'd climb up my sleeve and pee. They would sit on my shoulder and pee. They would snuggle up in my shirt pocket and pee. I cannot imagine putting a towel or blanket in the cage (not wood shavings) and then not changing it every day. The stench must be overwhelming.
    Nope. Mice are totally incontinent. The urine dribbles out as fast as the little kidneys make it. Rats have some control, but they LIKE their own odor. It smells safe.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 4, 2013, 06:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Rats have some control, but they LIKE their own odor. It smells safe.
    Thus the blanket bedding is NOT a good idea?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bump on my belly piercing [ 14 Answers ]

There's this little bump around my belly ring and I don't know if it's a keloid or not. I just got it a few days ago. I don't know if I should just take the belly ring out or if its better to leave it in. someone please help because I don't know what to do and I hope its not a keloid because I...

Flacid ugly bump over belly piercing [ 0 Answers ]

It has been a month since I got my belly piercing pierced (through a professional) and I noticed this bump which slowly began to form above my belly piercing hole. I have done tons of research about this but haven't got the right answer. Some say yes for the sea salt soak some say no some say it's...

Bump on my belly button peircing [ 2 Answers ]

Someone help me lmao ? I had my bellybutton piercing for 5 months now and I have this kind of big bump // bubble on top were my hole is and I don't know how to get rid of it I soak it like twice a day with sea salt and some days it will go down and some days it will just stay the same can some one...

Belly button bump [ 4 Answers ]

OK so I got my belly done about A little over a month ago and its been doing really good on one side of my piercing its reallyhard(like a bump under it) and swollen kind of. It feel like a bump under my skin and it hurts kind of bad. There's not nay puss coming out except when I changed it once. It...

View more questions Search