Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 4, 2013, 06:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Thus the blanket bedding is NOT a good idea?
    And may even be responsible for the cysts.
    RatMama20 Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Jul 4, 2013, 10:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    I tease Alty about her bunnies all the time, but the truth is rabbits and rats are two different families of mammal. I normally try to get rid of rats, but some of their biology will be useful in this discussion.

While rats do tend to keep their feces away from their nest, they mark their territory with urine like most wild mammals. They also secrete oils through their pores to keep their coats healthy. One of the most common signs of rats are the rub marks where these oils rub off on frequently traveled routes.

Only changing their bedding weekly will definitely contribute to cyst formation as the pores become clogged. People get these same cysts and call them "ingrown hairs." Four legged animals do not bathe frequently enough as a rule to wash these clogs out of the pores.

Did Alty overreact to a poor choice of words? Maybe. Are your choices in pet care the cause of health issues in your pets? Quite possibly.

Getting upset and tossing insults helps no one. Get to the Vet, and look into other types of bedding. I always recommend cedar shavings for pet bedding.
    I don't really see how it could be an ingrown hair, because its large, way larger than his little fist. I will take him to the vet and I just inherited a new cage and a quarter of a bag of some bedding from a friend so his environment will be up to standards.

Jul 4, 2013, 10:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    It's likely a tumor. Tumors in pet rats are common. I lost 2 rats over the years to tumors.

That being said....cysts are common as well...and are usually caused by poor conditions. I know you are stuck on this blanket/towel idea but I will tell you again like I did in your last thread, that is not proper bedding for them. There are all sorts of bedding to use. There are wood chips (cedar and pine) all the way up to processed/recycled paper. Blankets would probably be ok if the rats were trained to use a litter box and if you washed them constantly. Once a week or every 2 weeks probably isn't the best way to go.

My rats always had pine or cedar and then strips of cloth for them to make a nest with. Other than the 2 that had tumors, I had healthy and long lived rats with no problems.

But that's just me...what do I know.
    I got a bag of bedding today.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2013, 01:02 PM
    I'm sure ratmamma doesn't want to hear this either, but I am reading that blankets which soak up urine are not the bedding of choice.

Of course, this is nothing new - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/rodent...er-755889.html

The blanket probably also explains the torn nails.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jul 5, 2013, 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I'm sure ratmamma doesn't want to hear this either, but I am reading that blankets which soak up urine are not the bedding of choice.
    I told her that in her last thread, Alty told her again, it was mentioned a few other times... what do we know?

Looks like she is going to finally try natural bedding.
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2013, 01:39 PM
    When the cage and bedding have to be inherited, there is no money for a Vet, there are repeated injuries, a person loves her pet like her child... I have to wonder.

Jul 5, 2013, 02:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    When the cage and bedding have to be inherited, there is no money for a Vet, there are repeated injuries, a person loves her pet like her child ... I have to wonder.
    There's no money until we get PAID. Thank you very much. This thread was for advice on what the bump could be, not how it was caused, it was about what the bump could be, not how horrible of a caretaker all of you guys are making me out to be, it was about the bump, not about the bedding of my pets cage. Next time I post a thread I hope you have helpful advice.
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2013, 03:11 PM
    "Theres no money until we get PAID. Thank you very much. This thread was for advice on what the bump could be, not how it was caused, it was about what the bump could be, not how horrible of a caretaker all of you guys are making me out to be, it was about the bump, not about the bedding of my pets cage. Next time i post a thread i hope you have helpful advice."

You are foolish, indeed, to have pets if you can only afford their Vet bills on pay days. Make an arrangement with the Vet. I've signed promissory notes, taken a THIRD job, begged and pleaded and, yes, cried - but my dog got Vet care.

What's the point of diagnosing the problem without pointing out the probable cause?

And, yes, the bump could very well be a result of the bedding.

No one here knows you or, for that matter, is interested in how you handle your life and/or any aspect of it except how it impacts on your pets. I've certainly been roasted alive on AMHD. It happens.

You came on here, guns blazing, to arguing with an expert who forgot more about her animals yesterday than you have ever known, collectively, in your life.

Either care for your pet or rehome it. It's as simple as that.

Let's all hope the rat isn't in pain because it has to wait until payday for treatment.

You know who's living in my house right this minute? A puppy that was dumped on the street because payday isn't until the 15th and she's sick. A kitten that survived the rest of the litter being poisoned by antifreeze, deliberately put out antifreeze. Don't preach responsibility to me.

A number of us posting here have taken in sick and dying animals, suffering animals, abandoned and lost animals, because some owner thought she knew it all and didn't want answers, just wanted applause because she loves her pet like she loves her children. We've been through this many, many times.

I'd suggest being a little less defensive and listening a whole lot more.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 5, 2013, 03:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RatMama20 View Post
    Theres no money until we get PAID. Thank you very much. This thread was for advice on what the bump could be, not how it was caused, it was about what the bump could be, not how horrible of a caretaker all of you guys are making me out to be, it was about the bump, not about the bedding of my pets cage. Next time i post a thread i hope you have helpful advice.
    We told you what the bump could possibly be. We also told you what likely caused the bump, and the torn nail. If the care the rat is receiving is causing injuries and health issues, then it very much about the rats care, because the care is what's causing these issues.

If you want to avoid vet bills, and all of these health issues, you have to change how you're caring for your rats. No one is saying that you don't love your rat. You're misinformed on how to care for them, and I am shocked that you not only used towels and blankets as bedding, but felt you only needed to change that bedding once a week or every two weeks and didn't think that that was a problem, well that's a matter of common sense, and the fact that you didn't use common sense is worrisome.

Having said that, no one said you're a bad rat owner, we're simply telling you that up until this point, you haven't been caring for them properly, and because of that they are having issues. When that was mentioned, you went on the defensive, tried to justify using improper bedding, instead of taking the advice that you asked for.

I get it. You don't want to believe that the care you've given them is likely the cause of these health issues. It's painful to think you're the cause. But the facts are, you haven't been caring for them properly, you didn't learn how to care for them properly, and when you asked about the toenail we told you what to do, and you changed nothing. Now there are more issues.

What's in the past is in the past, it's what you do in the future that matters.

Jul 5, 2013, 05:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    We told you what the bump could possibly be. We also told you what likely caused the bump, and the torn nail. If the care the rat is receiving is causing injuries and health issues, then it very much about the rats care, because the care is what's causing these issues.

If you want to avoid vet bills, and all of these health issues, you have to change how you're caring for your rats. No one is saying that you don't love your rat. You're misinformed on how to care for them, and I am shocked that you not only used towels and blankets as bedding, but felt you only needed to change that bedding once a week or every two weeks and didn't think that that was a problem, well that's a matter of common sense, and the fact that you didn't use common sense is worrisome.

Having said that, no one said you're a bad rat owner, we're simply telling you that up until this point, you haven't been caring for them properly, and because of that they are having issues. When that was mentioned, you went on the defensive, tried to justify using improper bedding, instead of taking the advice that you asked for.

I get it. You don't want to believe that the care you've given them is likely the cause of these health issues. It's painful to think you're the cause. But the facts are, you haven't been caring for them properly, you didn't learn how to care for them properly, and when you asked about the toenail we told you what to do, and you changed nothing. Now there are more issues.

What's in the past is in the past, it's what you do in the future that matters.
    I take full responsibility, its not like I blame my rat for this bump, its not his fault his nails got torn. Im not that ignorant. I appreciate your help, I really do. Also I notice you are a moderator, how do I close threads? I got my answers and I took action, there's no need for it to be out for people to see now.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 5, 2013, 05:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RatMama20 View Post
    I take full responsibility, its not like i blame my rat for this bump, its not his fault his nails got torn. Im not that ignorant. I appreciate your help, I really do. Also i notice you are a moderator, how do i close threads? i got my answers and i took action, theres no need for it to be out for people to see now.
    I'm not a moderator, I'm an expert. Experts aren't automatically moderators.

I can request that this thread be closed, but my request is as valid as yours. It's up to the mods to decide.

Even if the thread is closed, this thread will still be visible. Closing a thread stops people from posting, that's all. Threads aren't deleted unless they go against the rules of this site, which yours doesn't.

I'll ask the mods to close this thread, since it has been answered.

Good luck. I hope you let us know how your rat is doing, and I really hope everything works out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bump on my belly piercing [ 14 Answers ]

There's this little bump around my belly ring and I don't know if it's a keloid or not. I just got it a few days ago. I don't know if I should just take the belly ring out or if its better to leave it in. someone please help because I don't know what to do and I hope its not a keloid because I...

Flacid ugly bump over belly piercing [ 0 Answers ]

It has been a month since I got my belly piercing pierced (through a professional) and I noticed this bump which slowly began to form above my belly piercing hole. I have done tons of research about this but haven't got the right answer. Some say yes for the sea salt soak some say no some say it's...

Bump on my belly button peircing [ 2 Answers ]

Someone help me lmao ? I had my bellybutton piercing for 5 months now and I have this kind of big bump // bubble on top were my hole is and I don't know how to get rid of it I soak it like twice a day with sea salt and some days it will go down and some days it will just stay the same can some one...

Belly button bump [ 4 Answers ]

OK so I got my belly done about A little over a month ago and its been doing really good on one side of my piercing its reallyhard(like a bump under it) and swollen kind of. It feel like a bump under my skin and it hurts kind of bad. There's not nay puss coming out except when I changed it once. It...

View more questions Search