Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2013, 03:39 PM
    Overheating
    Just changed the dry rotted radiator and took out the thermostat. It can run great for a few miles or 20 miles then the needle gets to half way and within a few minutes it starts making noises under the van like its sputtering and going to quit.
    I have to stop and wait for it to cool down. No water loss. No smoke or water out the exhaust so I'm wondering that if it runs so well until it overheats could it still be the head gasket? Or could it be a bad catalytic converter building up pressure? Or something else?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2013, 04:26 PM
    Could be either... but have a shop run a Hydrocarbon test on the radiator... the only way combustion products will get into the radiator is a bad head gasket. That's the most serious problem it might be and easiest to confirm or eliminate.

There are other tests for the cat... some of them you can actually take off and look through and see of its blocked... (its a honeycomb you can look through).
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2013, 05:12 PM
    Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overheating [ 1 Answers ]

What is causing my 2004 ford explorer to overheat I changed the thermastat and didn't have a problem with it for like 3 weeks now it got so hot that the engine cut off and there was no fluids left in the tank

Overheating [ 5 Answers ]

My 92 Honda Accord is overheating. Thermostat checked out OK. Fans seem to be working fine. However, car seems to only overheat after driving a while. But the temp gauge at first flucuate, then it moved all the way up beyond the "H"

Overheating? [ 4 Answers ]

I drive a 98 grand marquis, the temp gauge keeps going from the middle all the way to Red (H) then boucing back down and up and the red temp light is on but its not smoking, doesn't smell And is driving fine... Is there a change the gauges are messed up and its not overheating or is this The...

Overheating [ 0 Answers ]

We have recently replaced the thermostat on this truck. It was no overheating for a week. Now it has started overheating again. Someone told us that we may have air pockets in the system. If so how do you purge out the air? Or what else could it be?

Overheating [ 7 Answers ]

My 1987 Jeep Cherokee is overheating, and we have been Unable to fix the problem. A new therostat has been put in. It runs for about 10 minutes, and then we can see the coolant starting to bubble, so we turn it off. The fan is running, and there doesn't seems to be any leaks. HELP It has...

View more questions Search