Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Comalley23 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2013, 08:27 AM
    Judgement on a person who is dying.
    This has been going on for a year and a half of chasing him job to job for a judgement. Now because of his illness he is moving in with his family. I have tried to get the vehicle that he owned but was not worth what he owes me. He has no checking/savings accounts but owns a mobile home, not the property(land), can I go after the mobile home. He is not selling due to he is owes the park lot fee of over $2000.00. So my question is I can subpoena him but can I subpoena the family or can I get anything from the mobile home and is it true that a lien can not be put on a mobile home? I live in Clarence,New York, Erie Country. Thank you for your help in this matter. Cheryl
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 2, 2013, 08:58 AM
    You can go after the home if it is no longer his primary residence, by putting a lien on it that you can collect on when it is sold after he dies. You cannot go after anyone else, regardless of who he lives with and is related to.
    Basically, if he is broke and dying, you are not going to get anything. He'd have to win the lottery or inherit or find a stash of gold, so I suppose you can keep tabs.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 2, 2013, 09:01 AM
    You may go after the mobile home and put a lien on it, but not force the sale,

The truth here, and not one you want to hear, most debts, most judgements are never collected. So most likely, he has nothing, and when he dies, there is nothing.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2013, 10:45 AM
    Yes, you can lien against a mobile home in NY and you may very well be able to force a sale.

Question is whether it's worth it to you - the expense of foreclosure is often more than you will gain from the forced sale.

If he owes $2,000 to the mobile home park that park will force a sale. You should file your lien quickly, hopefully before the Park reduces the debt to judgment (it may be an automatic judgment). You may very well be second in line to collect if there is a forced sale.

How much does he owe you?

Jul 2, 2013, 02:07 PM
    To JudyKeeTee,

He owes me $1,076.21. How do I go about putting a lien on his mobile home? Do I need a lawyer to do that and do I have to subpoena him?
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2013, 02:10 PM
    You already have a Judgment, filed in Erie County Court, right? If he lives in Clarence is that the Court that heard the matter, gave you the judgment?

Jul 2, 2013, 02:17 PM
    JudyKeeTee,

Yes to both the questions.

Jul 3, 2013, 08:06 AM
    Now I was told through the mobile park management, if I was to put a lien on a mobile home, that person is being kidded out due to he owes over $2000.00 in lot fees, I would be responsible for the late lot fees and previous ones till mobile home is sold! Is that true? I'm like a creditor trying to collect a debt!
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2013, 09:43 AM
    No, that's not true.

Golden Pond Estates?

Jul 3, 2013, 10:57 AM
    JudyKayTee,

Rockoak Estates
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2013, 12:43 PM
    Okay - I had a 50% chance of getting that one right.

They are still wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I have a judgement against me can the person take my property if I cant pay [ 2 Answers ]

My boy friend and I have a judgement against us for sixteen hundred dollars. We cannot pay this debt nor do we feel we owe this debt. We are currently living in our car and have no other source of income accept about one hundred fifty dollars a week that he earns at his job. My question is can the...

Wrong person for a judgement [ 1 Answers ]

Wrong personn same name. How can they put judgements against anybody in the same county with the same name but they don't have the right person. Affidavit has been signed to resolve issue. But I would like to know if this is legal?

How to write to a person dying? [ 3 Answers ]

Help! My sister-in-law is dying of cancer, our sister, without my knowledge, asked my brother if I could come and see her. My brother and I are not close, never have been, no contact at all. I don't want to see either of them, hopefully he'll say no. I think a letter would be better but I don't...

We have a 4 person joint business account @ Wells. 1 person is expecting a judgement [ 1 Answers ]

Oregon Can a creditor levy a joint business account if only one person has a judgement against them? The person who will have the judgement against them is listed as '%25 owner' on bank acct. documents. Our lawyer said to find out how we are titled on the account so we can see if the account is...

Writing a Letter to a Dying Person [ 8 Answers ]

I need to write a letter to a friend who has a terminal illness. What can I say in such a situation?

View more questions Search