Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sarah2808 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2013, 02:12 PM
    How to file abandonment on my daughters father and remove his last name from hers.
    Hello, My name is Sarah, I live in Texas. My daughters father has been absent majority of her life. He has maybe seen her no more than 20 times and she is almost 6 years old. I did file for child support but nothing was issued at the time due to him being incarcerated in another state. Paternity had been established but his name still remains off her birth certificate. Due to child support not being issued I have never received a payment from him. It has been since March 2010 since the last time he made his one visit and has never tried to make contact again. I did change my personal number due to harassment but my mothers number remains the same and that is the address that he knows and has never tried to make the effort to come around or be in her life in anyway. My daughter is just getting older and starting to ask certain questions and I would like to remove him from the whole situation. What can I do, if I can do anything at all? Please help..
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2013, 03:18 PM
    He will still be her father whether you get him "charged with abandonment" (which, by the way, is this side of impossible) or not.

What do you hope to gain by charging him with abandonment? She will still be his daughter. If someone else wants to adopt her, he would still need to sign his permission.

File again for child support - unfortunately, having children with people who are felons leads to all sorts of problems, this being one of them.

If you want to change her name on the birth certificate you need to file an application with the Court. I would not attempt it without an Attorney - and you need the father's permission, so it's not going to happen.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 1, 2013, 03:29 PM
    What can you do? Find a husband and get your husband to adopt. Short of that, no you will not be able to "remove him from the whole situation".

Since he isn't exercising his rights now no court is going to remove them. I would suggest you prepare yourself to explain to your daughter the truth.

And yes you should refile for support.
    Sarah2808 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2013, 04:50 PM
    You obviously did not understand my question and your answer is not helpful but thank you for your judgmental insight. And, maybe not answer questions that you can't relate to nor understand properly. Because, it is absolutely ridiculous to think by filing abandonment it will remove him from being her father. (there's a thing called DNA) But, what there is, is the opportunity to give your child a better life and to close any doors that could possibly hurt your child in the future.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 1, 2013, 05:18 PM
    First, let me quote from your initial post; "I would like to remove him from the whole situation" What are we supposed to read into that?

Second, please don't presume to suggest to people whether they should respond to your questions or not. As long as the response doesn't violate the rules, it is a valid response.

Abandonment is a very misunderstood aspect of family law. One doesn't file for abandonment, one may use abandonment as grounds for something. So what is it you actually want? Do you want full and sole custody? You apparently have that because he doesn't use his rights.

Remember, we can only judge by what you post. And we have to make judgments based on the little info you post.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2013, 05:36 PM
    "You obviously did not understand my question and your answer is not helpful but thank you for your judgmental insight. And, maybe not answer questions that you can't relate to nor understand properly. Because, it is absolutely ridiculous to think by filing abandonment it will remove him from being her father. (there's a thing called DNA) But, what there is, is the opportunity to give your child a better life and to close any doors that could possibly hurt your child in the future."

Fascinating - not according to the law, but fascinating just the same.

If you aren't trying to "remove him as her father," what is your purpose of "filing abandonment"? You think that's going to forever keep him from having visitation?

How's this for judgmental? Don't have sex with losers and you won't have these problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I file for a warrant on my daughters father for child support [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter's father is taking me to court for visitation rights... but I don't understand how the main reason he is illegal but beside that he doesn't ''provide nor support'' her. Since 2006 I've received maybe a total of 8 payments of child support and owed over 4000.00 and I have called child...

How do I file abandonment on my child's father and when can I? [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is three years old going on four. Her father has seen her maybe 40 times in this period the last time he had contact with her was over a year ago and I received one check within this year he used to pay me child support without and order but this has stopped also. I have filed for child...

Filing abandonment papers against daughters father [ 2 Answers ]

How do I go about filing abandonment papers against my daughters father who has had no contact with her for over 3 years, so that when my new boyfriend and I get married he can legally adopt her?

Is it possible to file abandonment against my daughters father? [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is going to be 4 in a few months and her father has been in and out of her life. The thing is I have his phone number and I know where he lives but I have tried to call him and text him and he won't return my calls or texts. I know he gets them because he tells his ex of his 3 month...

View more questions Search