Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tim91 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2013, 02:17 PM
    How to mill planks, with hand tools...
    I have been in need of fixing up my chicken coop. I built it from scraps that where piled up, old doors, old pieces of lumber and plywood, scrap wood. Turned out really good for about a year. It's still really sturdy but bears and wild animals are taking a toll on its outside. I have been really wanting to get a truckload of pallets and reconstruct a new one but My truck is down and out for now.

What I want to learn to do is cut planks of wood with a handsaw. I have a couple chainsaws, things like that. & and a lot of hand tools, all different kinds of saws, a circular saw, jig saw, planers, etc.

What would be the easiest way to do this if I were to drag out an 8 foot section of log and set it up.

Jun 30, 2013, 02:18 PM
    Want to use the chainsaw as little as possible. Need it for firewood this year or I'll freeze and die.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 30, 2013, 02:20 PM
    Well, you have to cut the log lengthwise, do you have the ability to do that ?

A chainsaw is not going to work that way, would be difficult, and probably wreck your chain saw. Is there a mill nearby so that you can get the log planked ?

Why not buy wood already milled?

You need two people eventually, gosh, now you are going to find out what problems early settlers had

Jun 30, 2013, 02:53 PM
    Yea there are plenty of mills around here. All I have is 15 cents.

Jun 30, 2013, 02:55 PM
    Might just build a little log cabin for them to live in... With ma bear hands and an axe.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 30, 2013, 03:07 PM
    Where I live, people are so glad to get rid of pallets that I'd bet they'd deliver them.
    In frontier days, people used an adze and a series of wood or stone wedges down the length of the log, to split rough planks. Then if they were lucky they owned a plane.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2013, 08:54 PM
    You will burn out your arm trying yo use a hand saw. Go to a mill and see if they will give you the side cutoffs from truing a log before making a cant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Working with Brazilian Cherry planks [ 4 Answers ]

I am in the process of making a table top from 3 1/8" Brazilian Cherry planks that I got from Lumber Liquidators. The same material one would use for hardwoor floors. The table will measure 53" square with a removable center piece which is 16". I have glued the three sections that make up the...

Problems with laminate flooring/planks peaking [ 3 Answers ]

We recently had some shaw 8mm laminate flooring installed. Very soon after the install, a few boards starting peaking up on the ends. I thought it was maybe touching a wall, but I read that the planks on both sides would push up against each other. We had the installer out and he says it's the...

Laminate Flooring Planks Not Flat [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there I am laying a laminate floor myself. The planks came wrapped and pakaged they are not flat. When taken from the pakaging there is a slight bow/sag in them. Will this affect the laying of the floor? Will it flaten out? Any comments or suggestions would be appriciated. Thanks

View more questions Search