Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ericjenn03 Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Mar 25, 2007, 12:45 AM
    Modification of child support if I quit my job
    I am in the process of leaving my current job to relocate to the east coast, and the area where I am moving to, where the wages are not so high. This is a choice I have to make because my family and I are unable to afford living in the state where we currently are. My wife's family lives over there so it makes sense to go there. I have a court order. Both my ex-wife and I have moved from the state that the order was originated. She no longer works, and I am going to go from making $16 an hour to $8. Can I get a modification based on any of the above information? I want to pay but there is no way I can afford to pay the rate I am at now if I move.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 25, 2007, 06:39 AM
    I would say that first of course the court will ( if the ex brings it up) will show that you quit a higher paying job to a lower one just to pay lower support ( may not be the truth, but they ex may try and say that)

Also the fact you are quiting the job, not being fired, is an issue the court will look at.

And of course some states have a min amount you can pay, so I am not sure where you are compared to that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support modification [ 1 Answers ]

First I would like to know when the support law changed in Indiana from 18 to 21? Also how do you file to modify items when you live out of state? I really don't want to have to retain an attorney if at all possible. I am trying to keep things cordial between my ex and myself. If they go away to...

Child support modification [ 1 Answers ]

When my husband divorced his first wife, she was awarded spousal support of $400 a month for 44 months and $400 for child support (one child.) This was based on her making $45,000 a year, while he made $86,000 a year. She had three children from a previous marriage, receiving child support for...

Child Support Modification [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is still in college and in our divorce agreement was to have support until she reaches 22 if she is a full time student Massachusetts now has guidelines to the age of 23 when the child is a full time student. Is it possible to ask for a modification to the original agreement?

Child Support Modification [ 2 Answers ]

I am seeking a modification in my current child support payment. My current payment of $674 is created a financial hardship for me. All my utilities and rental payments are last monthly which cause a greater hardship due to the late fees. I have another child for which I have a voluntarily...

View more questions Search