Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Zea Posts: 217, Reputation: 19

Jul 1, 2013, 06:43 PM
    "Again, it depends on the depth of the injury and the area of the brain involved."

Do you mean that if someone hit someone on the head, on a certain part, and if that damaged part will be the one that controls breathing; only then that someone will not breathe normally?

What if that someone entered a coma, due to concussion, will this be like sleeping? And let's say that that part that controls breathing isn't damaged; will that someone, in coma, breathe slowly like someone who's sleeping?

Sorry, for all those questions.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 1, 2013, 07:43 PM
    A person with damage to the frontal lobe, for example, may often complain of mild to severe memory loss.

Damage to the right hemisphere of the parietal lobe results in loss of imagery, visualization and/or spatial relationships. Damage to the left side of this lobe will result in loss of understanding certain things such as math, reading, writing, etc.

Damage to the hypothalamus results in changes of hunger, thirst, and body temperature.

What you are doing is taking brain damage, yes a simple concussion is brain damage, and trying to simplify it. It's not as simple as you seem to think it is. There is a whole science dedicated to this area. Neuroscience.

Now, you have the 7 cranial nerves. Damage to any one of these can cause blindness, loss of hearing, facial paralysis, loss of taste or smell. The list goes on and on.

It's not as simple as comparing coma, blackouts or sleep
    Expert

Jul 1, 2013, 07:49 PM
    Symptoms of Closed Head Injury

Symptoms of severe closed head injury usually present themselves immediately, while symptoms of mild head injury can show up days or even weeks after an injury. Symptoms include:

Loss of consciousness
    Dilated pupils
    Respiratory issues
    Convulsions
    Headache
    Dizziness
    Nausea and vomiting
    Cerebrospinal fluid leaking from nose or ears
    Speech and language problems
    Vision issues
    Emotional and behavioral changes

Prognosis of Closed Head Injury

Degree and rate of recovery is highly dependent upon individual circumstances. The amount of time spent unconscious or in a coma, as well as how much of normal activity is recovered within the first month, are good indicators of long-term recovery.
    Found here...

Closed Head Injury | Symptoms, Recovery, Treatment

Here is another comprehensive site that may help you understand.

CDC - Traumatic Brain Injury - Injury Center
    Expert

Jul 1, 2013, 07:59 PM
    Do you know someone dealing with issues? Is this why you are asking?

Jul 1, 2013, 10:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Do you know someone dealing with issues? Is this why you are asking?
    No, it was just me. I fell once when I was 6 or 7. I lost consciousness for at least a minute. I fell from my bed and hit the wall after I somehow slipped. I fell, on something cushioned, on my back, so I bumped my head only once. I saw a doctor after the accident and he said that nothing seems wrong. I know that for some people symptoms delay for months, but I was observed by the people around me and my behavior didn't change, plus I remember everything before I fell and that is a good sign.
    I guess that's why I am interested about this subject at this time.
    I do play soccer, but I never head the ball. I realize that a second concussion will take a longer time to heal (Not that I am a good soccer player anyway). But again it all hinges on the area of the brain drawn in and the amount of force.

Anyway, thanks for all the help.

"Oops! You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to J_9 again." Great!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2013, 08:19 AM
    Like everyone else I wondered why the discussion. Could have saved time right from the start if we had known.

As far as "brain(s) shutting down" - when you lose memory, does that mean your brain has shut down? Interview someone who has been in a bad accident, no head injury (no KNOWN head injury) but can't, honestly can't, remember. Is that the "brain shutting down"?

I remember almost nothing of the day my husband died and the entire first week, almost nothing.

Is that the brain shutting down because processing the info is more than the body could/can handle? Or the mind?

(And it's coma, not comma.)

Jul 16, 2013, 11:58 AM
    "Is that the brain shutting down because processing the info is more than the body could/can handle? Or the mind?"

Please, read all the comments before you respond or the question.

"(And it's coma, not comma.)" Please, read all the comments before you respond.

"-when you lose memory, does that mean your brain has shut down?"

I think yes (?). Even if someone loses consciousness it does not mean that he/she will lose memory. Like J-9 said, it depends on the area of the brain involved and the amount of force. Not exactly "shut down".

"Interview someone who has been in a bad accident, no head injury (no KNOWN head injury) but can't, honestly can't, remember. Is that the 'brain shutting' down? ”

I don't get it, why should I find someone to interview?

“Is that the 'brain shutting down'?"

No. If you say “shut down” it means the person will die. That is why I said “And IS it true that your brain shuts down MOMENTARILY” (briefly or for whatever amount of time). If your brain stops working completely or shuts down like a computer, than you will be dead.
    I don't mean that it will completely stop working when I say "shuts down". Maybe I should've used something else.
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2013, 12:55 PM
    "Please, read all the comments before you respond or the question.

"(And it's coma, not comma.)" Please, read all the comments before you respond."

I was very tolerant of you when you asked a Muslim woman some very non-Muslim questions.

Please exercise the same tolerance toward me.

And once again don't attempt who will answer or in what manner they will answer. Perhaps if you asked a question that made sense one time you wouldn't be explaining X posts later.

You don't own this question or this thread or AMHD - I have a few questions of my own I asked and would like someone who is knowledgeable to answer.

I have no idea who you are quoting here - the other quotes are mine. This one is not. "Interview someone who has been in a bad accident, no head injury (no KNOWN head injury) but can't, honestly can't, remember. Is that the 'brain shutting' down? ”

I don't get it, why should I find someone to interview?"

And I don't get this question.

Jul 16, 2013, 01:14 PM
    “I was very tolerant of you when you asked a Muslim woman some very non-Muslim questions.”
    I promise, if I knew it wasn't right then I wouldn't have said a thing from the first place.

"And once again don't attempt who will answer or in what manner they will answer."

I was not dictating who will answer what. I promise. Anyone is welcomed to say what they like.
    Please don't miss understand me. But I was unclear, so yes it's my fault.

“I have a few questions of my own I asked and would like someone who is knowledgeable to answer.”

With all due respect I will ask you- why are you dictating?

"I have no idea who you are quoting here - the other quotes are mine. This one is not. "Interview someone who has been in a bad accident, no head injury (no KNOWN head injury) but can't, honestly can't, remember. Is that the 'brain shutting' down? ”

I think I made a mistake.
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2013, 06:36 PM
    ""And once again don't attempt who will answer or in what manner they will answer. - I was not dictating who will answer what. I promise. Anyone is welcomed to say what they like. Please don't miss understand me. But I was unclear, so yes it's my fault. I have a few questions of my own I asked and would like someone who is knowledgeable to answer. With all due respect I will ask you- why are you dictating?"

I'm not dictating anything - you seemed offended that I asked a question you thought had been answered. I explained that I added my question to your question because I wanted someone who knows to answer me.

And no one needs your permission to answer - which you seem to believe is how it works.

"No, it was just me. I fell once when I was 6 or 7. I lost consciousness for at least a minute. I fell from my bed and hit the wall after I somehow slipped. I fell, on something cushioned, on my back, so I bumped my head only once. I saw a doctor after the accident and he said that nothing seems wrong. I know that for some people symptoms delay for months, but I was observed by the people around me and my behavior didn't change, plus I remember everything before I fell and that is a good sign."

How old are you now - you are concerned about an incident when you were 6 or 7?

Jul 16, 2013, 10:46 PM
    “I'm not dictating anything - you seemed offended that I asked a question you thought had been answered. I explained that I added my question to your question because I wanted someone who knows to answer me.”

No, I didn't feel offended at all, I never even asked the same question you asked. I said it once, and I will say it again, anyone is welcomed to say what they like (repeated or not).

"-when you lose memory, does that mean your brain has shut down?"

From what I understand, you are asking that in order for someone to lose their memory, does that mean they are going to lose their consciousness first. I thought the answer is yes. If I am right, then I can say that your question was not hard to answer (when touching the surface of the overall complicated subject, I presume). Please don't get me wrong here. And I hope you get a right answer from someone who knows more.

“And no one needs your permission to answer - which you seem to believe is how it works.”

Promise; I don't think like that at all. Anyone can say what they feel like.

“How old are you now-"

I'm old enough to understand some things; not an adult YET but still.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I repair my shut off nozzle it broke at the neck of the shut off connector? [ 1 Answers ]

I was replacing my washer with a new one. While trying to disconnect the water hose it broke at the neck . Which was a PVC pipe I had to find something to clog the pipe to stop the water from going every where.

My delta univcersal trim kit doesn't,t shut off ,how do I install it to shut off [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a delta universal trim kit#10003/10004and the knob will not shut off the water. Is there a way that I have to position the guts inside the wall?

S in brain [ 1 Answers ]

After angioplasty I had pain in rt. Eye ball .pain was in rt,side of head also.. it remained for some months/ intensity of this pain was not acute so it was neglected but when I got binocular diplopia I was worred much and consulted neurophyision who advised to take homeopathic drugs. Nearly after...

View more questions Search