Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RatMama20 Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Jun 28, 2013, 01:39 PM
    Could This Be A Disorder?
    I have an adult rat named Remy and last night, for the second time this year, the same toenail somehow tore out of his foot completely. I have read that it's a common thing for rats to lose their toenails on occasion, but twice in the same year on the same foot? I have also recently bought a second rat for Remy to snuggle and they are both in a relatively small cage (though from petsmart its rat specific, its not like its for hamsters) that I moved them in to yesterday... Could that have something to do with it? It has two levels, so if a fight broke out one could move to another level to get away. I really don't want to have to separate them.
    And like it said in the title, could loss of toenails be a rat disorder? Am, I just worrying too much?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jun 28, 2013, 01:50 PM
    I've never heard of rats losing toenails. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I have never heard of it. Over the years I have had many rats and never had this problem.

Is their bedding dry? Is the whole cage dry and clean?

Also, adding a rat after one has established themselves already is generally not a good idea. You could have nasty fighting between them and a second level will not provide a retreat for the victim as the other rat can easily follow and will often do so. If they are getting along currently, then you are lucky so far. It remains to be seen how long that will last.

Jun 28, 2013, 02:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    I've never heard of rats losing toenails. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I have never heard of it. Over the years I have had many rats and never had this problem.

Is their bedding dry? Is the whole cage dry and clean?

Also, adding a rat after one has established themselves already is generally not a good idea. You could have nasty fighting between them and a second level will not provide a retreat for the victim as the other rat can easily follow and will often do so. If they are getting along currently, then you are lucky so far. It remains to be seen how long that will last.

I do not use bedding, I use very very soft blankets. I just put them in a new cage yesterday, but the cage they were in before Remy had established before the new one, and he welcomed in the new rat very quickly. They love each other and are like brothers. And I agree, I had never heard of rats losing a toenail because I had some in the past and they never had that problem... I am real thankful at how lucky I am they are so nice to each other especially because Remy didn't have a companion rat for six months :o I guess remy is just a unique rat
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jun 28, 2013, 02:11 PM
    Blankets for bedding is not a good idea. Cedar chips or something similar is best. The wood chips will help to take moisture away. Blankets will keep moisture on the surface. Not good at all. There could be some sort of foot disease going on here.

Jun 28, 2013, 02:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Blankets for bedding is not a good idea. Cedar chips or something similar is best. The wood chips will help to take moisture away. Blankets will keep moisture on the surface. Not good at all. There could be some sort of foot disease going on here.
    I keep a towel underneath the blanket to soak up urine. I check every day and the blanket is always dry... Remy also seems to be allergic to everything but the blanket. And back when I had bedding in the cage is the first time it happened.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 28, 2013, 03:53 PM
    My bet is that the rat got it's toenail caught in the blanket, and that's why it ripped off. Blankets in the cage are a very bad idea.

There are many different forms of bedding, surely you haven't tried all of them to find a allergy free alternative. I would really urge you to find something other than a blanket, you'll end up with nothing but issues with this sort of bedding for your rats.

Jun 28, 2013, 04:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    My bet is that the rat got it's toenail caught in the blanket, and that's why it ripped off. Blankets in the cage are a very bad idea.

There are many different forms of bedding, surely you haven't tried all of them to find a allergy free alternative. I would really urge you to find something other than a blanket, you'll end up with nothing but issues with this sort of bedding for your rats.
    I guess. I just found it easier to clean up the cage when I had the blanket. I found nail clippers online, I'm going to try keeping his nails short first and if that doesn't work ill find some bedding. I haven't tried ALL of the beddings, but the ones I have tried have made him real itchy and sneezy and sick, plus using the blanket was a way cheaper alternative. If this happens again I WILL buy bedding. Thank you for the advice :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 28, 2013, 04:58 PM
    There are good quality bedding and not so good quality bedding. Make sure that it's treated for use with animals. If it's not treated properly, it gets very dusty, and can cause itching, sneezing, etc.

I buy pine bedding for my 4 rabbits, and one large bag costs me $10. I spot clean my bunny cages every day (remove urine and feces) and do a complete clean of all 4 cages every week, and one bag of bedding lasts me 2 months. I have one bunny that does have issues with certain types of bedding, but has never had problems with the pine.

Try small bags at first, until you find one that your rats can tolerate, then find a pet surplus store, they usually have better quality items for a lot cheaper than the big chain stores.

Good luck. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Anankastic personality disorder with somatization disorder [ 0 Answers ]

I'm 25, a single man. My condition concerns me for many years. More than once I was appealing to neurologists and psychiatrists. Also I was myself researching some medical information. Doctors was making diagnoses: obsessive-compulsive disorder, anxiety-depressive syndrome with somatization...

I think I have a learning disorder? [ 3 Answers ]

I think I have a learning disability. I am 14 years old in grade 9 and ever since I can remember I have had trouble taking things in at school. I cannot concentrate in maths, english and social studies. When any teacher is talking and writing on the board I try so hard to concentrate. But I cant,...

Possible eating disorder? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I'm 16, female and I've always had self esteem issues to do with my body, as in I think I'm fat and I'm not although I can't really convince my subconcious that I'm not fat. I'm back at school now and have been for a week and everyday so far I have had, a coffee in the morning.. nothing at...

Am I forgiveable? Do I have a disorder? [ 16 Answers ]

I’m going to apologize in advance for how lengthily this question is. There is at least one secret being kept from everyone I know. Big, life changing, soul crushing secrets. I really am an awful person. I suffer with anxiety but that’s something I can keep in check. Well I guess I should do a...

View more questions Search