Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alfama Posts: 47, Reputation: 3

Jun 28, 2013, 12:21 PM
    How to clean a marble headstone
    I have tried soap and various products without success, any advice will be appreciated.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 28, 2013, 12:55 PM
    You can ask at the cemetery to see what can be used. I know for cleaning stone you can use a mild dilluted for of acid but your going to have permission to use it also if there is any fill in the carvings you may not have that as a choice.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2013, 04:44 PM
    Marble is very porous and almost impossible to deep clean. Once the dirt gets in the pores, it is really hard to get it out. You may have some success with vinegar but nothing stronger.

Jun 29, 2013, 02:47 PM
    Many thanks ma641 and cdad,I went to the cemetery today and spoke to the sexton who confirmed your advice, acid cleaning solutions are not allowed in the cemetery, and the only way to get the headstone cleaned is for a maison to lift it and transport it to his workshop at a estimated cost of betweem £300 and £400.
    I'll most certainly be giving vinegar a try tomorrow. Thanks Again.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jun 29, 2013, 03:07 PM
    Kind of wondering what you are trying to clean off it.

Jun 30, 2013, 10:35 AM
    That's a good question handyman. The headstone is white marble made in Portugal.There is some green marking on it maybe some form of algae and on the top of it there is some thick black smudges. I tried cleaning it today with vinegar and elbow grease that failed to move it.

Jun 30, 2013, 12:01 PM
    You may try some chlorine bleach mixed with water and a stiff brush. That may remove the black smudges but may get rid of the green. The green is probably mold or even a very fine moss. Just use a diluted solution to start with.

Jun 30, 2013, 12:21 PM
    Many thanks Handyman for the advice, I'll give it a try next week and let you know the outcome.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 30, 2013, 12:40 PM
    Don't know how reliable this advice is, but I did find this site;

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...9TuHJfiQFNAtAA

Jun 30, 2013, 01:55 PM
    Wow Alty,the information on that site is very informative, I'll be trying some of their advice next week after I've tried handymans suggestion first. Thank You.

Jul 18, 2013, 03:20 AM
    Update---All the solutions advised on Google are prohibited, I tried the vinegar remedy and it worked but very slow. A grave digger who had been observing my plight for some time gave me some good advise and it worked----dab onto the headstone using a sponge and a good quality bleach leave for thirty min's then gently wipe it clean---it worked after only one application.thank you to everyone for your advise.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 18, 2013, 03:55 AM
    Thank you for coming back and updating us.

Jul 18, 2013, 05:21 AM
    That is what I has suggested you do also. Glad it worked.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 18, 2013, 05:31 AM
    There is a certain charm of headstones in a cemetery aging into and melding with their environment. It shows a certain respect that they are allowed to do this in peace. Headstones are very attractive as they grow moss and that weathered look.

Jul 18, 2013, 06:44 AM
    To some, it shows a lack of respect or neglect. Or the sense of the loved ones being forgotten.
    Expert

Jul 18, 2013, 08:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman2007 View Post
    To some, it shows a lack of respect or neglect. Or the sense of the loved ones being forgotten.
    I have never heard of that before. Respect is normally kept up when the grave site is tended with care, flowers planted, etc. it is called 'perpetual care' and I pay for that service every year.

Jul 18, 2013, 09:29 AM
    And you pay for perpetual care because you want the gravesite to be clean and neat correct? That is showing respect. I take care of my grandparents grave . My grandparents were wonderful people and I always had great respect for them and by keeping the headstone neat it continues that respect. I know people who get very upset when their loved ones head stones are tampered with... most people do... There may be people who believe that nature should just take it's course when it comes to headstones but where I live, people like them taken care of and clean.
    Expert

Jul 18, 2013, 10:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman2007 View Post
    And you pay for perpetual care because you want the gravesite to be clean and neat correct? That is showing respect. I take care of my grandparents grave . My grandparents were wonderful people and I always had great respect for them and by keeping the headstone neat it continues that respect. I know people who get very upset when their loved ones head stones are tampered with ...most people do....There may be people who believe that nature should just take it's course when it comes to headstones but where I live, people like them taken care of and clean.
    They are too far away for me to go them.

Jul 18, 2013, 03:16 PM
    Handyman--you certainly did suggest I use the bleach remedy--thank you.
    Tickle--I fail to see what is attractive about a headstone covered in green moss and black marks, I've seen people scratching and scraping the headstones to try and find the names and dates of the person or persons buried there, thus causing so much unrepairable damage to the headstone.A little occasional care can prevent any future problems.
    Expert

Jul 18, 2013, 06:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfama View Post
    Handyman--you certainly did suggest i use the bleach remedy--thank you.
    Tickle--I fail to see what is attractive about a headstone covered in green moss and black marks, I've seen people scratching and scraping the headstones to try and find the names and dates of the person or persons buried there, thus causing so much unrepairable damage to the headstone.A little occasional care can prevent any future problems.
    In my part,of the world only the rich nowadays can afford headstones and they are usually dressed granite, making it very difficult for mildew and moss to adhere to. Others in the much older parts of the cemetery are from late 1800s, time worn and well worn.

You have your opinion, but my family buried have no headstones but plaques in the ground, but like I said, I order perpetual care for them.

At the same time you will have a hard time finding cemeteries that will allow chemical cleaning.

Stick to your opinion if you so desire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much should I charge to clean new construction home 1200 sq ft./ final clean [ 7 Answers ]

I'm bidding to clean a new construction home 1200 sq ft for final clean-up. How much do I charge? I did a walk through the house and there is tape on the edges of carpet as well as clear plastic cover which seals the top of carpet to be removed, labels on windows, appliances, bathtubs, and...

Cost to clean a therapist office building, 6500 sq. feet , construction clean-up? [ 0 Answers ]

Building will have q steam room , mens and women's locker room, showers , sauna, cardio machines, therapy tables , two offices, etc. like a mini gym. How much to charge per square foot, how often to clean. They are taking my recommendations, and want to be around average. This is the first of 22...

What is the correct way for a headstone, with ayats on it or not [ 2 Answers ]

My mother recenlty passed away, Fisrtly the ? Is with regards to the headstone that we were going to get made, it was a heart on a stand with 4 kul written on it , but we have been told that this is gunaah. 2ndly all the grandchildren want to plants some flowers but again we have been told its...

How to clean acrylic adhesive off a marble floor [ 0 Answers ]

How would I clean acrylic adhesive used to lay wall tile off my granite floor?

Headstone of a die hard cowboy [ 7 Answers ]

A true cowboy to the end. I wonder if anyone made a saddle of him :)

View more questions Search