Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilmama1988 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2013, 04:26 PM
    Being sued by capital one for cc debt but was in a shelter
    I recently got a summons from capital one for a cc debt from two yrs ago. At that time I loss my home and went into a shelter w my family unemployed for a yr. I recently got a pt job but will not bring able tp afford a lump sum payment. If I call a debt consolidation company will that be able tp settle it? Can I file bankruptcy? (I have five other delinquent cards and can't afford to pay right now) if I wanted to file bankruptcy how do I go about it?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 26, 2013, 04:35 PM
    A consolidation company ( most do nothing and some make it worst for you) only work out deals to make payments, and credit card companies are not required to work with them.

You can do the same thing by asking for payment plans. But the issue is, you have to make enough money to make a payment. If you have that many, I doubt you can pay enough to even cover late fees or interest each month.

Most likely you can file bankruptcy, you just go and hire an attorney and file
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 26, 2013, 04:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    ...Most likely you can file bankruptcy, you just go and hire an attorney and file
    Or file it yourself. All the forms and instructions can be found at the website for the bankruptcy court for the federal judicial district where you are located.

But do you urgently need to do anything? Is the judgment creditor garnishing your wages or executing on your property?
    lilmama1988 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2013, 10:51 AM
    Well its kind of a long story.. I just looked at my court paper and it says the court date was LAST summer. I never lived at the address it was sent to file(its my father in laws house so Idk how they got that one) and another letter w a magistrate hearing for this July. So apparently I missed a trial last June and am being sent to court again because I never got the summons for last yr. so far no money has been taken from me as I was unemployed until a few months ago and I am not allowed to open a bank acct I only have prepaid debit card that my payroll goes on to. So so far I've been okay. But do I have to appear for the magistrate hearing? Or can I wait for the next trial? Im just freakin out because I can't afford to have my paychecks taken. I can get proof that I never lived at theaaddress it was sent to will that help? And should I file for bankruptcy before this trial? Is filing bankruptcy expensive? And by the way I have no assetsfr them to take either just ny prepaid cards

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Served a summons/being sued for credit card debt/first time being sued [ 2 Answers ]

I have been served a summons by first class mail of a lawsuit against me by an asset collection agency on behalf of a credit card company. The asset company has purchased the debt,in an amount just over $1000. My question is how do I proceed as I have never been sued before. I currently am...

Capital One has sued me for 3300.00! [ 7 Answers ]

I made my payments on time & most payments were over min rqrd, then my child support tripled so I made min payments. My limit was only 1000.00 on the card! I charged about 800.00 total. Next thing I know I am over limit because I made the minimum payments and started getting calls from them. I...

Being sued by Capital One [ 2 Answers ]

I got served a summons by a law firm representing Capital One a couple of weeks ago. It was filed in court on Oct 5, 2009. Back in 1994 I was a victim of identity theft and have been dealing with it ever since. I have filed affidavits; I have submitted my police reports and affidavits to credit...

I saw an article about Capital one being sued. [ 2 Answers ]

I saw an article about lawsuit on "Capital One admitting to third party collector is handling account though lawsuit names them as plaintiff". How could I find out if the lawsuit being ffiled against me is Capital One or a third party collector?

Sued by Capital One [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am new to the site and I have read previous questions and ans. Concerning being sued by credit card co. but I am still confused about what I need to do. My situation is rather confusing, and I am sure it will appear unbelievable when I present it to anyone. A couple of weeks ago I was...

View more questions Search