Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    steve beck Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2013, 12:45 PM
    Law for lying on death certificate
    My father who I have not seen in 26 years. I am 56 my dad was 77 I just spoke to him this Xmas he called me to clear the air and reconect.
    I have a living brother and a sister. My dad also has a living brother and sister ( my aunt and uncle)
    My dad had been taliking to his sister and to my brother via phone for the past 5 years or so.

My dad met his girlfriend (Katie) 30 years ago she is my age now 56 we think they got married not sure.

Anyway we just found out June 24th my dad died of heart failure of some sort, but he died on May 10th. Katie waited 45 to tell us.
    Katie called my uncle and my aunt and said he was dead and buried in Ohio.

My dad and katie had just moved from Fla. To Ga. In the past few months that is where my aunt and uncle live.
    Anyway katie called 2 days ago and told them my dad had died but not tell us where he is buried.
    My sister works for a County Clerk of Court in NC and my brother used to be a bail bondsman so they both investigated for a few days and found out my Dad was cremated not buried in Ohio like katie said.
    Also we found out that when Katie was asked the question on legal forms if my dad had any living relatives she wrote down NO.
    We are sure she has broken several laws and trying to see what our next moves are What can you share with me.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 26, 2013, 12:58 PM
    You can find out more that is on the record, but you will get nowhere with her lying. You won't be able to prove that she knew about any of you, and even if you could, what would your damages be?
    The steps you take are to find out if there was a will (from the probate court where he died) and if they were married. Finding out if they were married or not isn't going to be easy, but can be done. Start with the state of GA records. The probate court (if used) might have that information.
    Blaming her for waiting 45 days is a little unfair, don't you think, if NONE of you were even trying to contact him during that time? She had her hands full with hospitals and laws regarding death. If he had no money, her problems were many. If he did have money but no will, she had problems.
    I'm sorry you didn't take the call at Christmas as a sign that he knew he might be dying, and go see him, and spend some time with him. I see no reason to add bitterness about the woman who stood by him for 30 years.
    current pert

Jun 26, 2013, 03:53 PM
    Plus, saying he was buried when he was cremated isn't contradictory necessarily. Many people bury ashes. And how do you know she didn't take them to Ohio?

What is really going on here? You and your siblings and aunt and uncle can have a service.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 26, 2013, 04:43 PM
    I'm curious, what do you hope to gain from proving he has living relatives? You were estranged from your father. Do you know if he had a will? You don't even know if he was married to this women. Do you just want to be validated as a living relative, or is there more to this?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 26, 2013, 04:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I'm sorry you didn't take the call at Christmas as a sign that he knew he might be dying, ....
    Not that it really matters, but I believe you misread something:

"... I just spoke to him this Xmas ..."
    current pert

Jun 26, 2013, 05:11 PM
    I meant 'I'm sorry you didn't perceive the call as a sign.' I said that because that seems to be the one and only contact he has had with his father in the last 26 years.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2013, 06:21 PM
    "Katie waited 45 to tell us."

45 days, months, years?

What should you do? Nothing. That window closed 26 years ago. Now he's dead and you want part of his estate - after 26 years of no contact?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 28, 2013, 06:56 AM
    To be fair to the OP - if the father died intestate in GA then his estate passes 1/2 to the spouse and 1/2 to the children (the OP in this case). But if there are no children then it all goes to the spouse. So it could be that Kate is trying to grab the entire estate for herself, illegally, by claiming that there are no children.

To the OP - you need to go to the probate court where your father was living in GA to find out whether there was a will and who has been appointed as personal representative (executor). Then contact him/her and demand an accounting of the estate.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2013, 08:58 AM
    The OP doesn't know if father and Katie were married, yet she filled out some type of forms.

There's lots to be discovered - including whether father was actually resident of Ohio or Georgia. If father moved to be closer to family, family presumably knows!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do I do if the wrong cause of death is on a death certificate? [ 1 Answers ]

My father died recently after being in hospice for two weeks. He had many problems -- diabetes, renal failure, heart problems. Since my father was a veteran, we need the death certificate to help my mom apply for benefits. When the death certificate arrived, it listed "colon cancer" as the cause...

What happens if cause of death is wrong on death certificate? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband died of a rare condition which he was infected with whilst in hospital, this condition went undiagnosed,and the wrong information put on his death certificate. Can anything be done to change the information at all? Jessica

Death Certificate [ 15 Answers ]

Need some help here, My second cousin recently passed away but we were very close when I was young, took me fishing, football, did everything a father should for his son. I was asked to start to arrange everything for his funeral has his daughter is out of the country for the next few days and...

Death Certificate - Cause of Death Recorded Incorrectly [ 8 Answers ]

Is it common practice to write down on the death certificates the wrong reason for cause of death? And if so, why do doctors do that? This happen to my dad a few weeks ago and I'm just trying to understand. Thanks in advance, Scott

Death certificate [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I am doing a biographical search on a subject, minor nobility, who died in South of France, 1878 and would like to obtain death certificate, also find burial place. She is buried in Nimes, Arles, maybe Nice. Can anyone direct me how to get records in France, and a listing...

View more questions Search