Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bml122 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2013, 05:17 PM
    How Long of NO contact before I can go for custody in Alabama
    My son receives child support through DHR court ordered and taken out of his fathers check. My son has had NO contact with his father since Halloween 2012. He was put in hospital for difficulty breathing due to puss pockets on tonsils on Dec 28 tried to contact his father with no luck. My sis finally got up with him and he wanted her to let him know the room #. She called and left a message on his vm after several attempts to contact him. Haven't heard from him since then. How many months in the state of Alabama of no contact before I can file for custody?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 25, 2013, 05:53 PM
    You can, and should have, filed for custody immediately upon the father's leaving you.

But what exactly do you hope to accomplish by filing for custody at this point? I mean, you currently have de facto custody. Are you concerned that the father may come back some day and grab the child?
    bml122 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2013, 06:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    You can, and should have, filed for custody immediately upon the father's leaving you.

But what exactly do you hope to accomplish by filing for custody at this point? I mean, you currently have de facto custody. Are you concerned that the father may come back some day and grab the child?
    I am hoping to keep my son safe. Two years ago my sons cousin (same age as my son) pulled a loaded gun on my son and his father laughed about it. My son wants my husband to adopt him.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 25, 2013, 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bml122 View Post
    My son wants my husband to adopt him.
    Then file for adoption. Forget about going for custody. If the ultimate goal is for your husband to adopt, then just go for that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Emergency custody forms Alabama [ 1 Answers ]

My son is 17 and has decided that he would like to come live with me ( his father). The mother will not agree. My son is currently living with his friend down the street from his mother. His grades have dropped and school attendance. He has gotten into trouble with the law. He says that his home...

How long can dad in MO be w/o contact w/child before mom gets full custody? [ 1 Answers ]

My ex and I have joint custody of 2 children, age 8 and 5. He has not paid child support for over a year and a half. Now he has not contacted or tried to see the children for 2 months. The court ruled that all decisions and medical emergencies be a joint effort. The school system is asking for...

Emergency Custody In Alabama [ 1 Answers ]

What do we need to do to get emergency custody of two children in Alabama. The kids need to be removed from the home away from both parents.

Father wants custody in Alabama. [ 5 Answers ]

We were never married, although we talked about it and I did give her a diamond solitaire ring. I'm referring to my girl friend, who lived with me until 4 months ago when I came home from work and she had packed up my 3 year old boy and moved to her mother's. When we first started dating, she told...

View more questions Search