Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    otimo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2013, 03:19 PM
    GFCI and breakers tripping
    I ran 2 new 20 amp circuits, one for lighting, the other for receptacles. I ran two 12 gauge wires for the hots and one neutral and a ground. I hit the first receptacle, which is a GFCI, and connected it to the line side. I ran the other plugs to the load side of the GFCI. I pig tailed the neutral to the neutral wire on each receptacle. The neutral is the same for the lighting and the GFCI. The problem is, I have 120 v @ each plug. When I hit the switch for the lights, the breaker trips on that circuit and the GFCI trips. I believe there is something wrong with the neutral wiring. In addition, the house isn't grounded (old wiring). Will the GFCI even work in this application. Thanks
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 25, 2013, 03:40 PM
    Yes, GFIs do work with no equipment ground.

You cannot share the neutral on the load side of a GFI. You need a dedicated hot and neutral for load side.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New GFCI Keeps tripping [ 9 Answers ]

I have just installed a new Siemens single pole 20A GCFC to wire my basement workshop. The receptacles are wired correctly and checked with a special tester. I run my bench grinder and it does not trip.. I plug in my radio (it's OFF) and the GCFI trips, I hook up a light and it trips... I hook...

Gfci keeps tripping [ 4 Answers ]

I just installed new bathroom with new plugs that are wired staight into the pannel to a20 amp gfci breaker and tester shows it is wireed right but when you plug something into it,it trips no matter what I plug into it

Tired of tripping breakers! [ 16 Answers ]

Hello. This is my first post and I have become frustrated with the amount of times that certain breakers trip in my house. Let me give you a bit of background first. I have been living in my house for over a year and a half (2 years in November). It was a brand new house when I moved in. I lived in...

GFCI is tripping [ 5 Answers ]

I had to replace a non-working GFCI receptacle that had given us problems for 3 years or so. I replaced it today, but when the power is turned on the receptacle trips, even with nothing plugged in to it directly. Any ideas on what the problem is and how to fix it? It is an outside receptacle.

Attempting to install GFCI circuit breakers (3 wires for 2 breakers) [ 6 Answers ]

OK here is my situation I have a Siemens box in my home I'm installing GFCI breakers to bring it up to code for insurance purposes Only thing is 4 rooms in this home are for some reason wired together on 3 wires (red black and white) connected to two separate breakers (30 Amps each) (two rooms...

View more questions Search