Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2013, 07:40 AM
    Dental care/work
    My GSD rubbed her upper lip yesterday, I checked her mouth, and she has chipped one of her canine teeth. It is sensitive, and she pulls away when I touch it. I have spoken to my Vet and it is his recommendation (of course) that she come in for sedation, evaluation and treatment and cleaning. She is 8-1/2, never had a dental problem but has never had her teeth closely examined.

He tells me I might need to take her to a doggie dentist (for lack of a better description).

I am out and out terrified on several levels -

I know her Vet, and I know him well. I do not know the other Vet. I have no reason not to trust him, but I don't know him, and we're talking about my dog.

No one seems able to tell me what will be done if the canine tooth needs a root canal (which is how it's looking) or something similar. Caps, crowns, extraction, something else? I need some sort of "what's going to happen" on my way into this.

About 12 years ago I lost my much loved black Lab when he was sedated for an infected tooth. I know it happens. I have to believe the Vet (my "old" Vet) did his best and things went wrong. I know that.

I am frightened to death and my GSD is picking up on it, nervous, following me around. It would help if I would stop hugging her and telling her everything is going to be all right.

Can anyone tell me anything reassuring, give me any direction? Depending on whether she needs antibiotics first, this is going to happen tomorrow.

I'm really frightened for her.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jun 25, 2013, 08:13 AM
    Can you ask the vet to use isoflurane rather than general anesthesia? When my beagle had cancer and needed dental work, the vet used the gas. She said it is safer and they wake up when the gas is removed. We need to use it in our Scottie because he is very muscular. It is more money, but much safer. I know you are scared... I hope our pet experts can do a better job than I can.
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2013, 09:17 AM
    Jenn, thank you! I am definitely going to take that suggestion with me. Thanks!
    Education Expert

Jun 25, 2013, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Jenn, thank you! I am definitely going to take that suggestion with me. Thanks!
    I hope it works for you. My hubby lost a Scottie many years ago to anesthesia and now we are always worried. We get the gas for all procedures now. It's worth every penny.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2013, 11:48 AM
    I can answer every single question... just wait until I'll be home.. :)
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2013, 11:49 AM
    Get***
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2013, 05:33 PM
    Ok, here is my answer :)

Some vets use the term Sedate but really mean gas anesthesia. There is no way that you could pull a big canine with just "sleepy juice".

Things to ask for safe anesthesia.

What are they using for a pre-anesthetic? Pre-anesthetics make the anesthesia process be a lot smoother. Hydromorphone and Ace and/or Dexmetomadine would be the safest drugs to use for a pre-med... If your vet uses Ketamine/Xylaxine in any way, shape or form, than find another vet. Most "high dollar" vets will be using the safer drugs.

Ask what they use for induction? We use Propofol. Its safe and is in and out of the system within 15-30 minutes.

Type of gas anesthesia that is the safes would be Sevoflurane. Isoflurane is just a harsher gas anesthetic.

As far as anesthesia/surgery.. there really is no guarantee that there won't be any problems... but with these safer drugs and proper monitoring, the problems are lessened. When we do dentals, our patients heart rate, resp. rate, blood pressure and temperature are all monitored in 5 min increments.

I'm not sure if you do routine bloodwork, but if you don't, running bloodwork before surgery will help tell the doctor how to go about anesthesia, what drugs to use, what vitals to monitor closely and so on.

As far as the dental itself... In all honesty, just have the tooth pulled. The talk of root canals and what not is the same procedure that they do for people..

Many people don't think that dogs suffer from mouth pain, but they do. Broken teeth hurt, abscessed teeth hurt... Its good that you're taking care of this broken tooth now instead of letting it fester into something more.

My opinion, this is an 8 year old dog that is not a show dog, there isn't any reason to salvage a tooth other than for cosmetic looks. Canines are not used for chewing, so it won't affect the way she is allowed to eat or chew a bone. It'll be much cheaper than a root canal, too!

But those are some things you can talk about and/or think about.

Good luck with your doggie tomorrow! I hope for the best!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 25, 2013, 05:57 PM
    I have nothing to advise, I just want to wish you good luck tomorrow, and know that we're here if you need to talk or need someone to hold your hand while your fur baby is at the dentist.

I do have to say one thing, I agree with Lucky, I'd have the tooth pulled, it's safer, and cheaper, and less of a pain for her in the long run.

((((hugs))))
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2013, 06:35 PM
    Pull the tooth. Sure it won't look aesthetic, but it will save you money and the procedure is shorter.

Also, isoflurane IS general anesthetic, technically. Like Lucky said most vets have a good protocol (ours differs slightly in the sense we use an induction agent called Alfaxan instead of Propofol) - an animal would need gas anesthetic for a dental procedure such as this.

I would try to find a place that will do it all in one shot - it sounds like your vet wants to put your dog under anesthetic to clean and evaluate, wake it up, then send it elsewhere to be put under again to work on that tooth.
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2013, 07:38 AM
    She is on a course of antibiotics. Goes back in 10 days for evaluation.

I have asked that it be pulled -
    Education Expert

Jun 26, 2013, 07:39 AM
    She is on a course of antibiotics. Goes back in 10 days for evaluation.

I have asked that it be pulled -
    I'm sure she'll be feeling better soon!
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2013, 08:03 AM
    Thanks, everyone - just knowing getting it pulled without all sorts of extra pain for her (not that getting it pulled won't hurt) makes me feel so much better.
    Pets Expert

Jun 26, 2013, 03:04 PM
    Judy, getting it pulled is actually not that bad, she won't feel it being pulled, and afterwards it will actually feel better because the pain will be gone. They'll likely give you a mild pain reliever for her for the first few days, but she may not even need that. She'll feel so much better as soon as the tooth is pulled.
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2013, 07:59 PM
    When she's taking the pain medication do they prescribe tranquilizers for me?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 26, 2013, 08:01 PM
    You relax by coming to this site and posting. :)

How is the pup doing on the meds?
    Pets Expert

Jun 26, 2013, 08:28 PM
    That would be a different doctor Judy. ;)

You'll be okay. So will she. You have us. We're here to help calm your nerves. Not sure how effective we are, but we'll do our best. :)
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2013, 06:10 AM
    She's not having a problem with the antibiotics - so far, and I have stopped clutching her and hugging her and otherwise driving her nuts.
    Education Expert

Jun 27, 2013, 06:11 AM
    She's not having a problem with the antibiotics - so far, and I have stopped clutching her and hugging her and otherwise driving her nuts.
    It's hard. We love our pets so much, like family!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dental care/ toothache [ 6 Answers ]

Good Morning , My canine tooth is aching , It started this morning . It hurts a lot ! Feels like it cramps,, I tried water and salt - no effect I tried cold - no effect Painkiller- no effect Lastly , I put toothpaste around my canine tooth How can I get rid of it? Im 19yrs old , Thank you

Dental Work [ 2 Answers ]

I was recently diagnosed with having a left atrial abnormality and a left bundle branch Blockage, I really need to have a lot of dental work done plus I will need to be put to sleep with this problem, can I be put to sleep?

Where can I get free dental care? I am 26, single, and jobless. [ 1 Answers ]

I am desperate for dental care, and the local health department cannot help except to prescribe weak antibiotics. As soon as they run out, the infection comes back. I need to have a number of teeth pulled.

Dental work [ 0 Answers ]

My significant other needs some dental work done. He had a hip replcmt in 2000 and in 2004 had a gram negative bacteria infection, almost taking his life. Does he need antibiotics before enduring dental work and if so what are some recommendations as to what antibiotics to take?

Dental work inexpensive at Dental Schools? [ 1 Answers ]

In the Raleigh-Cary area, do any of the Dental Schools offer inexpensive routine care for seniors on a tight budget? Thank you, Bob

View more questions Search