Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michaellham Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2013, 08:19 PM
    Strange noise from strange critter
    I heard a popping sound, like large rain drop falling on metal, and located a critter that looked somewhat like either a larvae, or a flat worm or such on the window sill, about 1/2 inch long and maybe 1/16 inch wide... one end, about 20% of the critter would lift and make a popping sound I could hear over the TV from about 20 feet away. There was a spider, appears to be a black widow, also fascinated by the critter, hovering around it. Any ideas?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 25, 2013, 10:07 AM
    What you describe is the larva of an Anobiid wood boring beetle, often called a Deathwatch Beetle.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7418.html

You will need to have your home inspected for powderpost beetles and get estimates for treatment. It won't be cheap.
    Locrian_44 Posts: 44, Reputation: 14

Jul 28, 2013, 08:48 PM
    Adult click beetles, (family Elateridae), bend at the thorax to make a clicking sound. Click here for a YouTube video of a click beetle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Strange noise through my flat [ 7 Answers ]

Hello everyone I have a 1st floor, 1 bedroom flat in a small block.Few days ago we noticed strange sound through the flat and the bedroom was the noisiest. I thought that it was downstairs neighbours doing their washing but , we could hear it in the bedroom more than kitchen. The noise sounds...

Strange noise [ 1 Answers ]

I have been bothered by this strange noise since the beginning of this year. I bought this two family house two years ago. I renovated the whole house from top to bottom before I moved in. New electricity and new water pipe. About 10 months ago, I heard a strange noise from my living room. It...

Strange water noise [ 2 Answers ]

Water sounds like it is flowing though the pipes, but the water meter shows that there is no water usage. It is very lound where the pipes come into the basement. Could it be just pipe noise from water flowing though the main water main? This is a house that is only 5 years old. It is as loud as if...

Strange toilet noise [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My toilet is scaring people away. Every time after I flush, it makes the strangest, loud noise. I think it might have something to do with the water pressure... because it only happens when I flush and it stops once the toilet stops filling. The noise was bareable before but now its...

Strange noise [ 3 Answers ]

there is a strange noise that randomly occurs in the morning in my house. It sounds like a jack hammer. It is most prominent in my master bedroom bathroom, where there is a vent on the low part of the wall, but I can't figure out where it's coming from. My furnace and ac are not on and haven't been...

View more questions Search