Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeffkramer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2013, 04:09 PM
    Parentage by estoppel in California
    In California, if a child is born, the mother passes away at birth, the father later remarries and the child is raised by both his natural father, and his wife for the remaining years of both the married couples lives, does the law recognize this woman as the child's legal mother?

I read something on the California Courts/Parentage/Paternity web posted information site re parentage by estoppel in California that would confirm this but would welcome a second opinion.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jun 26, 2013, 12:49 PM
    No, the wife cannot be considered as the legal mother.

7610. The parent and child relationship may be established as
    Follows:
    (a) Between a child and the natural mother, it may be established
    By proof of her having given birth to the child, or under this part.
    (b) Between a child and the natural father, it may be established
    Under this part.
    (c) Between a child and an adoptive parent, it may be established
    By proof of adoption.

7601. "Parent and child relationship" as used in this part means
    The legal relationship existing between a child and the child's
    Natural or adoptive parents incident to which the law confers or
    Imposes rights, privileges, duties, and obligations. The term
    Includes the mother and child relationship and the father and child
    Relationship.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parentage by Estoppel [ 3 Answers ]

My ex-girlfriend ran off with our son when he was 1. when he was 14 I found him and another man has been raising him since he was 3. She has a child support order on me established in 2011.DNA tests prove I am the bio dad. Can I appeal the order since he would be considered the father by estoppel?

If I new I was not the father on the affidavit of parentage in Florida ? [ 9 Answers ]

I new I was not the father and signed a affidavit of parentage and so did the mother.now we are brokup and she want child support I have not seen or had contack with the child in 4 years and she has had contack with the bio. Father and knows who he is.how can I have my name taking off every thing...

Need help with parantage by estoppel in ca? [ 2 Answers ]

I was with my ex for 14yrs we separated in 2006 custody of our children went back and forth he knew he was not our oldest childest who is now 14father but never questioned it. Our other child was adopted and is now 12, now he wants nothing to do with our oldest child so he won't have to pay child...

Parentage by estoppel or de facto [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 16 year old daughter who my soon to be ex husband is all of a sudden stating is not his because he doesn't want to pay support. Ex came into our lives when she was 9 months old. Has taken over the fatherhood role since this time (she has never met her bio dad even though she knows he...

Consideration and promissory estoppel [ 1 Answers ]

Many legal experts say that consideration is unnecessary in the formation of a valid contract. How do I critically analyze this view while including the doctrine of promissory estoppel and not confining my answer to this doctrine?

View more questions Search