Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    branjaycan Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2013, 06:24 PM
    Radioactive iodine tooth decay
    I recently had 160 mci of radioactive iodine. The only side effects I had were my salivary glands swelled up to nearly double in size and I lost taste for about a month. Now 4 months later my glands are extremely sore and every tooth in my mouth hurts. Has anyone experienced this? I have read that some had to have their teeth removed before treatment but have never heard of having it done after. My teeth are by no means perfect and I will admit I do have some cavities! I need help!! What to do...
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 23, 2013, 06:30 PM
    Did you have this for thyroid treatment?
    branjaycan Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2013, 06:52 PM
    Yes I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in November of last year!
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jun 23, 2013, 06:55 PM
    I commented on this in another thread. It's very common to have dental issues after the treatment. Our dog had the treatment last summer for thyroid cancer and we were warned prior to the treatment. I know it's not the same as humans, but I read up on it and all the articles were regarding humans. They all said you need to visit the dentist often (every three months).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tooth decay from radioactive iodine treatment [ 4 Answers ]

I had thyroid cancer with radioactive iodine treatment. My teeth have started rotting from the inside out I don't know there is a problem until the tooth breaks. A dentist told me this is why I have the problems but he also said the solution is tricky I might not be able to have false teeth if my...

19 month old with tooth decay. Caps? [ 5 Answers ]

my daughter is almost 20months old and has always been breastfeed... and it is now just for comfort. The bad thing about that is she must have it to sleep. I have been trying to ween her for months now with no success!:( I brush her teeth 2x a day and put floride/vitamins in her water and milk. But...

Tooth decay too early in life. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello. I am a 24 year old female who requires about 10,000 dollars worth of dental work. I am currently uninsured and am not eligible for insurance until August of 2009. I was recently at a dentist when they quoted me on the 10,000 worth of work. I am in about 20,000 worth of debt as it is and I...

Gum disease or tooth decay [ 2 Answers ]

My grandson had open heart surgery at 15mths old.To cut a long story short,he has been on continuous antibiotics and steroids for numerous infections and so on.He has just turned 7.We have just been told he will have to have all his teeth taken out.Due to everything he has taken and also maybe...

Radioactive Decay(Pre-Cal) [ 1 Answers ]

If you haver 5 grams of carbon-14, whose half-life is 5730 years, How much carbon-14 will be left after 4,000 years and 8,000 years? Any help would be highly appreciated.

View more questions Search