Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    louben Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2007, 03:15 PM
    Tankless water heater
    I need to know what size tankless water heater I will need to connect to washing machine. This is the only appliance the tank will heat. Can I use a 2.5 gallon tankless?
    Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2007, 03:41 PM
    How carefully have you looked at the numbers on this? Even a 2 1/2 gallon one is fairly expensive. How much water does it take to fill your washer? Would a small 5-10 gallon tank provide enough to fill the washer and recover in time for the next load? I don't think the tankless heaters live up to their hype. Those here making their living selling them and installing them don't like me suggesting people get the facts before buying one.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 24, 2007, 08:45 PM
    The idea of a tankless water heater is great, it works wonders on commercial steam cleaning or hot water pressure washers.

But the trouble they have there has always been the intake water volume and pressure, They have automatic shutoffs and safety if there is not enough, and many homes, even at the intake main does not have enough of either to operate them. And where you do at the intake, often at the point where you use it, you don't, And if you are only turnng the hot water on a little, often it is just not enough to make the unit kick in.

* I am sure they are working on this on the home units but I know that the requirements for the commercial equipment we worked with a few years ago, were very specific or they would not work.

Next of course you have to have clearance for them ( which means space)

So the issues of how many washer fills you use a day, how much water per load. And why in heavens name are you using a lot of hot water for a clothes washer unless this is a commecial laundry doing white linens all day. Most clothes are cold water washed anyway now adays. But that is another issue

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tankless water heater [ 13 Answers ]

Tom, how are you doing? What are your thoughts on these tankles heaters? Are they really able to do the job of supplying all the hot water you need? I will have a large whirlpool tub, one shower, and the obvious other stuff. Washer, dishwasher, and sinks through out the house. Will they support...

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Tankless Water Heater [ 5 Answers ]

I'm looking to install a GAS tankless water heater and I read that you need an area of 750 sq ft of combustable air for this unit I want to install. My question is; Does that mean that this has to be a wide open area because my basement is 1000 sq ft but it is framed out into 3 rooms. All rooms...

Tankless water heater [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my name is alex,I want to replace my tank water heater because is under my AC unit and the AC filter is right above the water heater and that is the only air return I have .I guess they did it wrong when the put the system in ,so the AC filter is collecting all kind of stuff and I can't cleane...

Tankless Water Heater venting [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Can anyone tell me why you need to use stainless steel pipe for venting on a tankless gas water heater. What would happen if you connected to existing galvanized steel? Any info would be appreciated.

View more questions Search