Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    123chris456 Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2013, 09:10 AM
    Just finding out about money issues with my Fiance'
    I just found out that my Fiancé, whom I will call David, had a creditor, by court order, put a hold on his bank account so they can get what he owes them. Now he is not able to get get money out of his account. He is now going to open up a different account with his next direct deposit so he can get his money out. My question, if anyone knows this, is that if he opens up a new account, wouldn't the courts be able to find out about this new account just like they found out about the account he has now? I understand he owes over 6 grand.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2013, 09:31 AM
    The courts don't have to get involved, they already gave a writ of garnishment that lest the creditor go after any and all money from any accounts that has his name on them... even joint accounts and you would have to PROVE how much of that money wasn't his on a joint account... to get that back... as they will grab it and you will have to prove it to get any of it back..

You can assume his credit score is in the tank... and good luck getting a loan to buy a house or even a car anytime soon... particularly until he pays off this debt in full.

And that low credit score from the collection and garnishment is going to raise his insurance costs... and effect his ability to get or keep certain types of jobs. And as a spouse... this is going to effect you too if you get married.

Jun 21, 2013, 09:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    The courts don't have to get involved, they already gave a writ of garnishment that lest the creditor go after any and all money from any accounts that has his name on them...even joint accounts and you would have to PROVE how much of that money wasn't his on a joint account....to get that back...as they will grab it and you will have to prove it to get any of it back..

You can assume his credit score is in the tank....and good luck getting a loan to buy a house or even a car anytime soon....particularly until he pays off this debt in full.

And that low credit score from the collection and garnishment is going to raise his insurance costs.....and effect his ability to get or keep certain types of jobs. And as a spouse...this is going to effect you too if you get married.
    Thank you for your answer so that means that any accounts with his name on they will find out about it? HOW they find out about? Just to add further, they also froze his account without him even knowing about it.
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2013, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 123chris456 View Post
    Thank you for your answer so that means that any accounts with his name on they will find out about it? HOW they find out about? just to add further, they also froze his account without him even knowing about it.
    They don't have to tell him... and in fact they won't.

All back accounts are reported to the government... with that writ of Garnishment they will get the information and have everything they need to seize any he opens or anything with his name.

If he only owes $6,000 why doesn't he borrow it from family (obviously no financial institution will loan him a dime right now)... to get out from under that black cloud... which incidentally... can follow him until the day he dies... or until they collect what's owed..

They can even go to his employer... and have his paychecks garnished if they wanted to be aggressive about it. And they would have to give it to them. They can even get tax returns attached.

Jun 21, 2013, 10:04 AM
    They don't have to tell him...and in fact they won't.

All back accounts are reported to the government...with that writ of Garnishment they will get the information and have everything they need to sieze any he opens or anything with his name.

If he only owes $6,000 why doesn't he borrow it from family (obviously no financial institution will loan him a dime right now).....to get out from under that black cloud...which incidently...can follow him until the day he dies...or until they collect whats owed..

They can even go to his employer...and have his paychecks garnished if they wanted to be agressive about it. And they would have to give it to them. They can even get tax returns attached.
    He already borrowed over 3 grand from me to get his truck out of the shop. So, I cannot give him any more money. I am not sure if he has anybody else he borrow that from. I actually don't even know if that is all he still owes?
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2013, 10:07 AM
    He already borrowed over 3 grand from me to get his truck out of the shop. So, I cannot give him any more money. I am not sure if he has anybody else he borrow that from. I actually don't even know if that is all he still owes?
    Don't marry him until this is all taken care of... its going to cause you problems as well otherwise. And yes... a spouse with these problems can keep you from getting any job that deals with money... law enforcement... security clearance, and a long list of other things... and not just them. Or cost you one you already have.

Be thankful you found out about it now. I'm willing to guess its more than he told you.

Jun 21, 2013, 10:10 AM
    Don't marry him until this is all taken care of.....its going to cause you problems as well otherwise. And yes...a spouse with these problems can keep you from getting any job that deals with money....law enforcement....security clearance, and a long list of other things...and not just them.

Be thankful you found out about it now.
    Yes I am thankful about it. But the kicker is that he kind of acts like he don't care that much. That is not me, I always care about my finances.. I bet he might think that I will get him out of this jam. I am not. He still owes me $$.
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2013, 10:15 AM
    Yes I am thankful about it. But the kicker is that he kind of acts like he don't care that much. That is not me, I always care about my finances.. I bet he might think that I will get him out of this jam. I am not. He still owes me $$.
    I know the type... I bet it's a lot more than he has admitted to... he's expecting someone to bail him out...

His la-di-da attitude worries me... and it should worry you. If he isn't worried now... he's not going to be worried the next time... and yes... there will be a next time.

I know someone whoes husband is just like that... and it kept happening over and over... he lost his job over it, they lost a house (forclosure)... it destroyed her credit... and meant a bankruptcy... He still doesn't take finances seriously.

THey are both really nice people personally... she is hyper responsible.. and he worries about absolutely nothing. (and he's in his 50's)

Jun 21, 2013, 10:20 AM
    I know the type...I bet its a lot more than he has admitted to.....he's expecting someone to bail him out.....

His la-di-da attitude worries me...and it should worry you. If he isn't worried now...he's not going to be worried the next time....and yes...there will be a next time.

I know someone whoes husband is just like that....and it kept happening over and over...he lost his job over it, they lost a house (forclosure)....it destroyed her credit....and meant a bankrupcy....He still doesn't take finances seriously.

THey are both really nice people personally...she is hyper responsible..and he worries about absolutely nothing. (and he's in his 50's)
    Thanks again for your response and actually he is in his 50s as well. And yes it does worry me. He is under the impression that he can open another account without them knowing about so he can get next pay periods money.
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2013, 10:23 AM
    Thanks again for your response and actually he is in his 50s as well. And yes it does worry me. He is under the impression that he can open another account without them knowing about so he can get next pay periods money.
    I expect them to garnish his paycheck soon. And the fact he is single, married or has kids... means absolutely nothing.

Jun 21, 2013, 10:28 AM
    I expect them to garnish his paycheck soon. And the fact he is single, married or has kids....means absolutely nothing.
    Yes I believe so. And this is not good at all.
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2013, 10:45 AM
    Tough choice to make... retirement isn't that far down the road... and knowing if you marry him you marry into his baggage.

Like I said... he might be the nicest guy in the world but he doesn't care about the mess he created... and this is like the 900 lb gorilla in the corner of the room.

You need to find out exactly how much he really does owe. And decide from there. But he's in a mess he's not going to get out of if he keeps dodging it.

Jun 21, 2013, 10:50 AM
    Tough choice to make....retirement isn't that far down the road....and knowing if you marry him you marry into his baggage.

Like I said...he might be the nicest guy in the world but he doesn't care about the mess he created...and this is like the 900 lb gorilla in the corner of the room.

You need to find out exactly how much he really does owe. And decide from there. But he's in a mess he's not going to get out of if he keeps dodging it.
    Yes you are right and I am thinking that now that the people who he owes $$ to found where his bank account is --they will probably garnish his next paycheck so he won't even get a chance to try to open up another account. Am I right in my thinking on this?
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2013, 10:54 AM
    Yes you are right and I am thinking that now that the people who he owes $$ to found where his bank account is --they will probably garnish his next paycheck so he won't even get a chance to try to open up another account. Am I right in my thinking on this?
    Yes.. and if it isn't the next one.. it might be the one ofter that.

There is a paper trail for most financial transactions... I am sure they already know about his current employer, Employers have to withhold FICA and SSI... as well as federal and state taxes... The IRS and authorities know exactly where he works and how much he makes... and none of that is shielded from those with the need to know.

Jun 21, 2013, 10:56 AM
    Yes..and if it isn't the next one..it might be the one ofter that.

There is a paper trail for most financial transactions....I am sure they already know about his current employer, Employers have to withhold FICA and SSI....as well as federal and state taxes....The IRS and authorities know exactly where he works and how much he makes...and none of that is shielded from those with the need to know.
    Thanks again for your responses. Have a nice day!
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2013, 10:59 AM
    Thanks again for your responses. Have a nice day!
    You too.

Jun 21, 2013, 11:05 AM
    You too.
    Thanks!

Jun 24, 2013, 07:24 AM
    I expect them to garnish his paycheck soon. And the fact he is single, married or has kids....means absolutely nothing.
    Hi there. Just an FYI that we broke up the other day. Not only was the money issue a concern for me but we fought too much. Thanks

Have a nice day!
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2013, 07:46 AM
    You are welcome... Thanks for the follow-up, I'm just glad you found about this BEFORE you got married. Far too many people find out the extent of the debt the other person has gotten into AFTER they get married.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 24, 2013, 08:03 AM
    Really honesty is or was the real issue, if he had the money issues but was honest, that would or may have been different, things happen in all lives

** as a side note, if he opened new account, they find it in a few weeks and just start getting that money anyway

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My fiance' wants me to strip for money [ 22 Answers ]

Sooo, I've been with my fiancé going on 7 yrs and he always comments on how great my body is and suggest that I strip for money or become an online nude model and perform sexual acts for online viewers. I tell him that I have a high amount of respect for myself and it's not within my character. Why...

Finding money [ 3 Answers ]

Our their any ways to get a grant with out a price

View more questions Search