Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jun 20, 2013, 08:30 PM
    Denied financing on a new roof... NEXT STEP?
    **IF there is a better location for this question please feel free to re-locate**

We applied for a loan to replace our roof. Got denied. We have no warranty (the one we had didn't cover the roof anyways).

What suggestions can you guys offer to help us get financed for a roof.

We were told three years when we bought the house a year ago, but its looking pretty shabby now and there are various issues currently.

THANKS for the advice in advance.

((We are in Oregon, if that helps))
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 20, 2013, 08:45 PM
    Have you discussed this with your homeowner's insurance?
    Vision Expert

Jun 20, 2013, 10:45 PM
    No. We didn't figure that's matter since its just natural wear and tear and not a natural disaster or anything.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 20, 2013, 10:57 PM
    Our homeowners covered replacing our roof. Now, we did have some shingles missing, but that was it. No disaster at all.

Try calling your insurance company and see if it is covered for you. We had to provide 3 estimates.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 21, 2013, 02:20 AM
    My parents' house had a really lousy roofing job and the slope wasn't too steep so I just went around with a $20 can of roofing cement and a flat spatula and gunked all the missing spots.

Or wait until Thanksgiving - Christmas, when roofing jobs slow down to nothing, and make a financing arrangement with a roofer. Figure out what you want to offer (how many years and payments at what rate). Don't expect more than 2 or 3 years.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2013, 03:37 AM
    Roofs in my neighborhood are being replaced because of hail damage. One particular roofer is just proceeding up the street, house by house, about ten within 300 yards so far. It is my understanding that these folks pay nothing but their homeowner insurance deductible, no depreciation due to act of God.
    There is a longshot that a certified roofer can help you make a case for one of these type deals. Talk to some good roofing companies first, to determine if they see the signs of hail or other act of God type damage.
    I have seen a pattern in my neighborhood where those who have the adjuster look at the roof first- are denied, but those going through the certified roofing expert contractors get full coverage, just paying deductible.
    Also, church groups in the East, often do roofs for those who have no other options.
    Are you maxed out on home equity loans, low credit score etc?
    Could you place a new roof over existing to get price down by eliminating removal cost, go with a lower grade new shingle, find a handyman willing to do the work (watch for proper insurance coverage for workers!), etc?
    You have to effect the repairs or you risk losing your entire investment.
    Vision Expert

Jun 21, 2013, 10:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smearcase View Post
    Roofs in my neighborhood are being replaced because of hail damage. One particular roofer is just proceeding up the street, house by house, about ten within 300 yards so far. it is my understanding that these folks pay nothing but their homeowner insurance deductible, no depreciation due to act of God.
    There is a longshot that a certified roofer can help you make a case for one of these type deals. Talk to some good roofing companies first, to determine if they see the signs of hail or other act of God type damage.
    I have seen a pattern in my neighborhood where those who have the adjuster look at the roof first- are denied, but those going thru the certified roofing expert contractors get full coverage, just paying deductible.
    Also, church groups in the East, often do roofs for those who have no other options.
    Are you maxed out on home equity loans, low credit score etc?
    Could you place a new roof over existing to get price down by eliminating removal cost, go with a lower grade new shingle, find a handyman willing to do the work (watch for proper insurance coverage for workers!), etc?
    You have to effect the repairs or you risk losing your entire investment.
    We can't get a home equity loan. Because we jut bought the house. We have no equity to get a loan on.
    Vision Expert

Jun 21, 2013, 10:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    We can't get a home equity loan. Because we jut bought the house. We have no equity to get a loan on.
    We've financed the cheapest option and got denied. We don't have money. Hence the financing attempt. We live paycheck to paycheck and are working on building savings. But we don't have nearly enough in there to touch a roofing job.
    Vision Expert

Jun 21, 2013, 10:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Our homeowners covered replacing our roof. Now, we did have some shingles missing, but that was it. No disaster at all.

Try calling your insurance company and see if it is covered for you. We had to provide 3 estimates.
    We will do that. We already have two.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2013, 10:55 AM
    Perhaps these folks have some help or suggestions.
    Clark County assistance programs | Vancouver
    Vision Expert

Jun 21, 2013, 04:57 PM
    I don't live in Clark County anymore. I haven't changed my profile in a while. I live in Columbia County, Oregon.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 21, 2013, 05:00 PM
    What might be the cost of reroofing? It would be a tear-off? Some of the underlying structure needs repair?
    Vision Expert

Jun 21, 2013, 05:34 PM
    The lowest quote that we got was $9,650. It includes tear off and yes the roof under the shingles needs patched in multiple areas. We live in a rainy area, so this isn't abnormal. They said that it was a crappy job done the first time and it's been patched a few times before.
    Vision Expert

Jun 21, 2013, 09:13 PM
    We called our home owners insurance and they said they only cover in case of natural disaster damage.
    irisherino Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jun 23, 2013, 07:37 AM
    Try contacting Habitat For Humanity
    Vision Expert

Jun 25, 2013, 09:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by irisherino View Post
    Try contacting Habitat For Humanity
    I called them yesterday and we make too much for them to assist us.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2013, 11:55 AM
    How many squares of roofing? In the Atlanta area, a tear off and recover, 3 tab, is about $200 per square, $5 more for architectural shingles. Even with some decking replacement, you either have a huge house with a lot of roof, live in a high cost area or need to get some more prices.
    Vision Expert

Jul 4, 2013, 03:59 PM
    25 squares.
    Vision Expert

Jul 4, 2013, 04:00 PM
    Regardless of the price we need to get financing or at least someone that will accept payments outside of financing (doubt that will happen). We live paycheck to paycheck so we don't have a few thousand dollars floating around. ALBEIT, we should... but life just doesn't fly like that sometimes.
    Vision Expert

Jul 5, 2013, 06:10 PM
    Any other advice?? We are stuck here. No one wants to help us financially because we "make too much" **Rolls eyes**

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Financing a 35 sf roof job with 1 lyer to take off [ 5 Answers ]

Need a quote to replace a roof 35 sq with 1 layer of tear off and financing optios

Buyer denied financing within 30 day period. Have not put in writing. Deposit mine ? [ 2 Answers ]

Our buyer got denied financing of their FHA and conventional loan. They have not given us written notice in the 30 day time frame set by the contract. They want us to extend our contract t give them more time. Do we have a case to keep deposits ? If we sign the addendum. do you suggest we ask for...

Auto financing denied [ 1 Answers ]

I recently took a car out of a dealer leaving downpayment, thinking that I was approved for the financing, but I just received a letter stating that my fanancing was not approved. What can happen now and what could I do?

View more questions Search