Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suzanna Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2007, 12:48 PM
    Gifted Assessments
    Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this. I think that my 15 year old daughter might be gifted but I don't know what to do about it. Do gifted children always do well on tests?Also, where is the best place to go to find out?Is one type of test better than another? I live in England and I am not sure about the resources available here.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2007, 01:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by suzanna
    Do gifted children always do well on tests?
    Hi Suzanna, since I am not from England I can't give you any guidance on where you might be able to explore this situation further. I am sure someone else on this forum will stop by.

But, I did want to answer one of your questions, which is the one I quoted here. My brother has a genius level IQ, but the guy always choked when it came to his exams. Therefore, he did not do well in school. Albert Einstein had the same problem. Although the man is recognized as gifted and a genius, he failed miserably at a number of subjects in school. So, that would not be a basis that would be used to figure out if your daughter is gifted. It might be added into the overall equation.
    MaxyWelsh Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Apr 4, 2007, 05:26 PM
    Gifted children often don't do well in exams that are multiple choice - they want to think outside the box.
    Ask your school if there is a testing facility near by.
    Personally my child was tested young because of his problems (he has seizures and ADHD) and it was done thorugh a community centre. But I think there are learning centres set up all around the world that do IQ tests, and (the better ones) do a an interview. Giftedness isn't just about exam results, it's about the inventiveness the child presents. And it can be in many different area. A child may be a gifted artist but suck at maths, or even a brillinat writter, but be a very poor speller.

I hope that helps a bit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 year old gifted or very bright? [ 60 Answers ]

Hi everyone, The director of the day care where my son goes twice a week believes that he may be gifted. She wants to have him assessed. I have done a lot of reading up on this subject, and have looked at the characteristics of gifted children... but I am still not sure if he is just very...

Gifted Ld kids [ 7 Answers ]

How can a person be Gifted and have a learning disability?

Do you think my 5 year is gifted [ 11 Answers ]

Are you able to tell me if this is Asperger of Giftness Traits? My 5 year always been different since birth. Never slept through the night, very fussy, very picky with eat at birth. But now he's 5 years old and he's *Very demanding *Impatience *Emotionally sensitive *Curious of...

Tax on Funds Gifted [ 9 Answers ]

If funds are are gifted to you from someone abroad - out of the US, is there a threshold in which I do not have to report it for tax purposes? Any insight would be helpful.

View more questions Search