Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vikzeb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2013, 06:03 PM
    Too friendly ex?
    My fiancés ex is trying way to hard to be super friendly with ME. I know she says things to their daughter about me because her daughter had told me. Yet this woman calls me to ask boyfriend advice and calls to make small talk. We're all in our 40s and I have children as well. But I've never been in this situation. She is basically mean and manipulative with my fiancé - her ex so I'm not understanding why she wants to be so friendly with me. And- she always has to throw something in the conversation about things she can't stand about my fiancé when they were married. I am polite and courteous to her but really I feel like she's a snake ready to attack. She likes to be the victim so I feel like she's trying to piss me off so she can be victimized by me.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jun 19, 2013, 06:10 PM
    Please don't involve your step-daughter, even by listening to second hand information coming from her mom. Just politely tell her that it's far more important that her father and mother talk to each other, and not through you, via her.

As to you being a victim of whatever you might imagine the ex is up to, I have to ask you why you haven't yet established some boundaries with her. There is no rule book that says you need to be her buddy, listen to her woes about men, and particularly listen to what a rotten husband your (now) husband is.

When she calls, and starts to stray into territory you are uncomfortable with, change the subject, or make an excuse to get off the phone. Keep cordial and focus on conversations with her that are necessary because of the child. Everything else is off limits.

It sounds like you are setting yourself up for grief. And you don't need to, if you put a few simple boundaries in place.

It will take the heat off you, cut off any intention the ex has to sour your relationship with her ex, and get the child off the hook for being a messenger, which is a terrible position to put her in.

Good luck.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2013, 08:33 AM
    I am a times 5 stepmom and "Jake" hit it right on the head. Stay out of the father/daughter/mother relationship. You can't win and it's truly not your business.

I wouldn't ask, I wouldn't answer. I would listen and defer.
    Robert Brenner Posts: 53, Reputation: 13

Jun 21, 2013, 11:04 AM
    Dearest too friendly, sounds like a NO WIN situation. There is no win so just don't play. If you allow something 3 times then you have agreed to it. You have made an agreement with her that you will participate. If you FEEL she is a snake then she probably is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Does he like me or is he being friendly? [ 3 Answers ]

I like a boy a lot lol he goes to my youth group and he does Treat me different from other girls. When he is around other girls he will act normal and he seems very comfortable. But when he gets around me he gets quite and he can't look at me sometimes when we are talking. I do catch him...

Does he like me or is he just trying to be friendly [ 1 Answers ]

I met this guy in my biology lab class about two weeks ago. He became my new lab partner because his original seat got taken. He introduced himself to me and we have occasionally talked since. He seems like a social, friendly guy. I'm not sure if he's trying to make moves on me or not though. ...

How to become more friendly? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a kind of shy person, I usually like to listen more than talk, but when I start talking you can hardly stop me. I have only two good friends and I'm happy I have them, but I would like to become more friendly so that I can make friends easier. I don't mean that I would leave my bestfriends in...

Does he like me or just friendly [ 3 Answers ]

I met this guy in shop ( he was a Volunteer) anyway he noticed me right away when walked in he came over and asked if I had been to the concert was wearing a band t shirt)h esaid he was there anyway we spoke for a while I saw him again the other day he came right over talking asking if I had been...

View more questions Search