Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ALC68 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2007, 11:55 AM
    Fire Damage to House
    An apartment building housing 3 families caught on fire next door to a house that I own and collapsed and burned to the ground. According to the final fire report, the cause of the fire cannot be determined. There was extensive damage to my house, and it is considered a total loss. The owner of the apartment building did not have insurance, nor did the tenants. I also did not have insurance. Since the cause cannot be determined, do I have any case legally concerning damage to my property? Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 24, 2007, 11:59 AM
    Yes but you will need to sue him and prove he or his tenants acted negligently. That may be impossible to prove if the cause hasn't been determined. Pretty weird that all of you did not have insurance. Insurance is mandatory if there is a loan or mortgage on property so both bilding must be paid off.
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Mar 24, 2007, 12:04 PM
    Seems like the cause of HIS fire is undetermined, but the same could not be said of your fire.

Mar 24, 2007, 12:10 PM
    I'm sure this was a typo and you mean cause "like the cost ". Your fire may be the result of his fire but hedoesn't automatically get liability attached to him. If he was struck by lightning and his house burned, yours too, where is the responsibility?
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Mar 24, 2007, 12:13 PM
    Lol guess we are both having one of those days -- Savage

Mar 24, 2007, 12:17 PM
    Gad, its been the whole week for me. LOL

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Damage To Basement [ 1 Answers ]

I came home tonight to find my finished basement floating.My sump pump failed during the night or this morning and I have outside perimeter drains that drain into my sump pit (of course it has been raining for 2 nights and days non stop). When I stepped of the stairs my foot was just barely...

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

Fire damage at rental property [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a fire in my apartment. I was told by the owner of the property that their insurance company is going to sue me for repayment of the damages. What are my rights as a tenant? Can they really sue me?

Damage and loss. [ 2 Answers ]

Can you sue your auto insurance company if they want to total your damaged car out at a lesser value than you agree with?

Rita's damage! [ 1 Answers ]

My mother is an evacuee and is staying with us until her town gets the okay for residents to return. My question... she has a freezer and 'fridge with items that, by the time she returns home,will have gone VERY BAD!! After 3 to 4 weeks can the applainces be saved and cleaned of odor and how?? If...

View more questions Search